Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Purduevian

I don't think rides will sellout much. Unlike when FP was around and everyone had it, I think 50% of people at best will buy this everyday.
Why do you think that? Lets just look at SDD with it's ride capacity of ~2000pph. This means in a 12 hour day 24,000 people can ride this ride. Assuming 50% LL capacity, there are 12,000 SDD LL available each day. In 2019 (the last "normal" year) ~11.5 million people visited Hollywood studios or an average of ~31,500 people a day. If "50% at best" buy Genie plus on an average day 15,750 people will have it.

Not difficult to see how the 15,750 people could take all 12,000 SDD LL for the day. Remember this is an average day, assuming 50% ride capacity to LL.

runnsally

Why do you think that? Lets just look at SDD with it's ride capacity of ~2000pph. This means in a 12 hour day 24,000 people can ride this ride. Assuming 50% LL capacity, there are 12,000 SDD LL available each day. In 2019 (the last "normal" year) ~11.5 million people visited Hollywood studios or an average of ~31,500 people a day. If "50% at best" buy Genie plus on an average day 15,750 people will have it.

Not difficult to see how the 15,750 people could take all 12,000 SDD LL for the day. Remember this is an average day, assuming 50% ride capacity to LL.
Perhaps, but remember that all the SDD LLs are not immediately bookable. So people will select other attractions with an earlier LL window.

Purduevian

Perhaps, but remember that all the SDD LLs are not immediately bookable. So people will select other attractions with an earlier LL window.
Why would all the SDD LL not immediately be bookable? I was unware that Disney stated there would be drops throughout the day, that does change a lot, still don't see why they feel the need to drop them at 7am, but this does allow people to sleep in without FOMO.

Jeff4272

Why would all the SDD LL not immediately be bookable? I was unware that Disney stated there would be drops throughout the day, that does change a lot, still don't see why they feel the need to drop them at 7am, but this does allow people to sleep in without FOMO.
I have been asking about this and haven't got a clear answer.....

Is Disney going to stagger availability throughout the day with multiple drops?

runnsally

You can only book the earliest time available. So yes people could all only book SDD as their first LL and quickly exhaust the day’s supply, but that would not make sense for most people. Most people don’t want a 3:30p SDD at 7:30a in the morning.

Purduevian

You can only book the earliest time available. So yes people could all only book SDD as their first LL and quickly exhaust the day’s supply, but that would not make sense for most people. Most people don’t want a 3:30p SDD at 7:30a in the morning.
People used to do it with legacy FP for TSMM and Soarin on most days. Those rides would sell out for the day within an hour of park opening.

I agree this is all theoretic and may not be a problem, but the general point still stands... Why make these drop at 7am? I typically rope drop parks, but I don't want to get up at 7am for a 10am EPCOT opening.

runnsally

No its not.....For eg.....lets say say there's 15k LL available for a ride in 1 day....... If there's demand for all LL availability at 7am, will it sell out by 7am or will they only makes 2,000 available for the first 2 hours, then 2k for next 2, etc?
But if that happens and you’re one of the minority of Genie+ holders that decides not to pull that 4p SDD, then you’ll have a very wide selection of other LLs and likely save enough time that a wait for SDD later in the day is offset.

But who knows really. Should be interesting to see what happens if nothing else.

Jeff4272

Saw this on Twitter

Attachments

• E88FBDEC-79D5-4C48-B900-A85BB294EBEA.png
    E88FBDEC-79D5-4C48-B900-A85BB294EBEA.png
    173.3 KB · Views: 187

Jrb1979

No its not.....For eg.....lets say say there's 15k LL available for a ride in 1 day....... If there's demand for all LL availability at 7am, will it sell out by 7am or will they only makes 2,000 available for the first 2 hours, then 2k for next 2, etc?
That could happen, I doubt it will often. Most people are going to pick something for close to when they are going to the park. I don't think most people will book something if the time available is not til late afternoon.

Purduevian

That could happen, I doubt it will often. Most people are going to pick something for close to when they are going to the park. I don't think most people will book something if the time available is not til late afternoon.
Why though? I wouldn't. If my options at DHS were
SDD at 7pm
TOT at 12
RNRC at 11
SWGE at 11
TSMM, Alien, and ST and anything else before 11

I would be grabbing SDD at 7pm and be able to pick my next selection at 11am just like all the other good options. It's my only chance to skip the SDD line and I would think at 11am I would still have a shot at one of the other good rides. (assuming a 9am opening)

DisneyCane

The only question to be answered after launch is how intolerable Genie+ and IAS makes it for people who choose not to purchase either.

Genie+ at "only" $15 per ticket for the day is likely to have huge uptake. The IAS purchases I think will depend on the price and how long the line being skipped is.

If they give the same percentage of capacity to LL as they did for FP+, the standby lines are going to be bad for everything that has LL.

This system is bad for local and semi-local (like me) passholders. For the most part, when I make a trip (from 3 hours away) I will get to one park at opening time, spend a few hours then go somewhere for lunch. After lunch I will hop to another park again for a few hours go to dinner and either drive home or head to a hotel for a night. If I stay overnight then I'll hit a park at opening for maybe 3 hours the next day and drive home.

Paying $15 per person for so little use time is not a good value. With the time I spend in the park I'll end up spending at least $5 per ride I get to use it on. At least on the ridiculous IAS I'm getting "full value" for the purchase if I decide to use it. However, of all the rides that will have it, I'd only even consider it for FoP and only once or twice a year.

If the standby lines get to the point where I can't forego Genie+ and have somewhat reasonable (45 minutes or less) waits for the non-top headliners on average days then having an annual pass becomes pointless. If I have to spend $15 to ride HM with under an hour wait the value proposition just isn't there anymore.

Waters Back Side

Yeah, I don't see any reason Disney would care about this. Even with FP+ it required a person with a ticket, and now they'd also be getting the additional Genie+ revenue.

Me neither. Your not taking up an additional spot. You are using one reserved for someone else.

I one time had 6 FPs for Everest for my 3 kids, me and my wife. My Dad was the 6th but would not go on it. 4 of us went on. Then I went on again with my other son who waited behind with him using my Dads FP. In this case all 3 kids were able to sit next to a parent because the ride is only 2 per row. That's different then someone taking up a spot a 2nd time. That's using an existing pass (or in this new case LL). I rode in place of someone. Not a 2nd time along with them.

MickeyLuv'r

People used to do it with legacy FP for TSMM and Soarin on most days. Those rides would sell out for the day within an hour of park opening.

I agree this is all theoretic and may not be a problem, but the general point still stands... Why make these drop at 7am? I typically rope drop parks, but I don't want to get up at 7am for a 10am EPCOT opening.
There is a good deal of projection in this thread. Until this rolls out, we won't really know all the details.

Perhaps there will be no reason to be up at 7am, seems likely to me that the service will have some element of 'first come-first served' to it, just as hotel bookings, paper FP, FP+, and dining have that aspect. Generally, if you want something specific, WDW has a long history of rewarding the people who book things at the earliest opportunity.

Availability has to start somewhere. Perhaps the 7am start will end up incentivizing RD arrival. Or maybe it won't. We'll see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom