Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

G00fyDad

So I can already see a (possible) loophole that people might exploit to ride something twice with Genie+ and/or IAS. Example: I have a family member who doesn’t do most rides. I’m also the member in our family who is in charge of booking everything on the MDE app for everyone. I book myself for a Lightning Lane pass at Haunted Mansion at 9am, go on the ride, and won’t be able to book a LL pass for that ride again for the rest of that day. What’s to stop me from booking my family member for Haunted Mansion later in the day and going in her place, claiming that I am her? Or using her 2 IAS passes? (Unless they’re checking IDs at the entrance of the rides, which I don’t really see them doing.) Not saying that I plan on doing this, but was just pondering about how they will regulate.

Just wait until the day you tap in to the ride and something like this shows up on the CM with a tablet. LOL
Goodbye loophole! :(
tory kittles computer GIF by Colony USA

Just kidding. Put down the pitchforks and take off the foil hats. LOL

EeyoreFan#24

So I can already see a (possible) loophole that people might exploit to ride something twice with Genie+ and/or IAS. Example: I have a family member who doesn’t do most rides. I’m also the member in our family who is in charge of booking everything on the MDE app for everyone. I book myself for a Lightning Lane pass at Haunted Mansion at 9am, go on the ride, and won’t be able to book a LL pass for that ride again for the rest of that day. What’s to stop me from booking my family member for Haunted Mansion later in the day and going in her place, claiming that I am her? Or using her 2 IAS passes? (Unless they’re checking IDs at the entrance of the rides, which I don’t really see them doing.) Not saying that I plan on doing this, but was just pondering about how they will regulate.

my guess is they won’t care who the ias belongs to. It’s would just be another person in line. Plus it’s more of a beneficial loophole for Disney than us. Getting revenue from someone who wouldn’t want to ride otherwise. Again, just my guess.

Disstevefan1

Everyone in TWDC that worked on this Genie +/Lighting Lane project must be getting nervous now.
What's going to fail?
How is it's going to fail?
Can we fix it?
Can we roll back?
Can we refund if we roll back?
OR
The whole team may have the attitude, "They are in the park and we already have their money. What are they gonna do?"

jpinkc

Everyone in TWDC that worked on this Genie +/Lighting Lane project must be getting nervous now.
What's going to fail?
How is it's going to fail?
Can we fix it?
Can we roll back?
Can we refund if we roll back?
OR
The whole team may have the attitude, "They are in the park and we already have their money. What are they gonna do?"
The last one is probably the most correct......... maybe they will refund them in 30 days so they can get some interest.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

The last one is probably the most correct......... maybe they will refund them in 30 days so they can get some interest.
Meh. I don't think the everyday programmers will have that mindset. They are the ones that will catch hell if/when things go down/fail from lower/middle management. Could be senior mgmt is more lackadaisical about it; that wouldn't be surprising, sadly.

Trauma

Well the time is almost here!

I don’t know how to start a poll so I’ll just ask here.

Who is hoping that this is going to backfire and fail miserably for Disney?

Personally I don’t think the Genie+ side of it will fail.

That being said I’m am actively rooting for the $ILL$ idea to completely backfire.
I understand some people here might like the idea and I respect your opinion, but I’m looking forward to a GIANT poop storm.

mikejs78

Premium Member

That being said I’m am actively rooting for the $ILL$ idea to completely backfire.
I understand some people here might like the idea and I respect your opinion, but I’m looking forward to a GIANT poop storm.
I kind of honestly don't mind Genie+. There are some things I wish were better about it, but I actually think that a paid option will be better for the parks in general than a free option, but we will see.

ILL$$$ is another matter. I'm with you, I hope it spectacularly fails, and I actually think there's a pretty good chance it does.

aaronml

Just wait until the day you tap in to the ride and something like this shows up on the CM with a tablet. LOL
Goodbye loophole! :(
tory kittles computer GIF by Colony USA

Just kidding. Put down the pitchforks and take off the foil hats. LOL
I recall hearing that at SHDL they do show your photo to the CM when redeeming a FP / DPA pass.

Wendy Pleakley

Can it really fail though? No matter how many, or how few, people pay it's a system that used to be free, generating revenue. It's likely a win for Disney no matter what.

The only risk is that it will negatively impact attendance, but for all the griping Disney fans do this never seems to happen.

Giving it away for free on the first day to D23 Gold members doesn't seem like a great sign.

It's a way to test it. No more, no less. This is not any sort of sign the system will or won't be a success.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
As others mentioned, you are almost certain to be able to do it. It's been done already. I even did it for my sister to get her on FoP for the first time. I had reserved FP+ 60 days ahead of time, but also did the DAK DAH, so, I already rode it plenty of time, and she was just popping in for the day. Just hand over your MB.

The restriction is that the person giving up their spot has to be in the park. And. as others mentioned, paid for DG+ or an ILL/IA$ that they're not using.

UNCgolf

As others mentioned, you are almost certain to be able to do it. It's been done already. I even did it for my sister to get her on FoP for the first time. I had reserved FP+ 60 days ahead of time, but also did the DAK DAH, so, I already rode it plenty of time, and she was just popping in for the day. Just hand over your MB.

The restriction is that the person giving up their spot has to be in the park. And. as others mentioned, paid for DG+ or an ILL/IA$ that they're not using.

Yeah, I don't see any reason Disney would care about this. Even with FP+ it required a person with a ticket, and now they'd also be getting the additional Genie+ revenue.

Rescue Ranger

Spent 13.5 hrs at Animal Kingdom today and had an incredible time. What a difference from the chaos and mess Magic Kingdom was yesterday. Honestly, Animal Kingdom is such an incredible park and love it more and more with each visit. I could have spent another 13 hrs just taking in all the details and relaxing.

Loved the evening show on the Tree of Life.

I don't want to even be anywhere near the parks when Genie starts. The CMs I've talked to about it are a nervous wreck about Lightning Lane.

I'll admit, I wish I had purchased a Boo Bash ticket instead of a full day MK ticket. Currently MK is at the bottom for my least enjoyed park right now. Complete chaos. Unless things change, I will only visit during events going forward. But who knows how parks will be and how things will change with Genie?!

Still have Epcot and Hollywood Studios this week. Here's hoping those days turn out like AK did...

peter11435

yes, because july is the dead of tourist season and all…. Spin all you want…. Hours were cut down… never mind the reduction in EMH

gone are the days of worries over the park not having enough downtime due to excessive late hours and early opening. And it’s not due to reduced forecasts…
I’m not trying to spin anything. I’m telling you facts. If you’re referring to post Covid…. Then yes. Hours have been cut for many reasons. But if you’re talking about pre Covid, not so much.

Last edited:

peter11435

See my post comparing August 2016 park hours to August 2019. Last I checked, Halloween is celebrated on October 31.

Back in 2016, the MK Halloween parties didn't start until Sept 2nd, with MK closing at 7pm.
In 2017, that got pushed up to August 25 (and 29), with MK still closing at 7pm.
In 2018, that got pushed up to August 17 (+24, and 28), with MK closing at 6pm.
In 2019, that got changed to August 16 +20, 23, 27, and 30. With MK closing at 6pm. But again - on non party nights MK was also no longer open past 10pm.

This year, we did see a small improvement of sorts because the parties all started at 9pm. Unfortunately, MK also closed at 9pm every night of August.

So - again - there was a significant shift in the availability of park hours that went until 1am. (where the park hours comments sub-topic started).

I hope we see the return of longer park hours, but I'm not confident that will be the case.
Again though…. Park hours are based solely on attendance forecasts. If a day in august 2019 had shorter hours than a day in august 2020 it’s because the day was forecasted to have lower attendance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom