Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

dreday3

Purely anecdotal, but reading/chatting - a lot of the people in October groups I'm in do plan to use Genie + while there and a lot plan to just purchase the rides available for purchase!

I still don't know...I know we will try for a couple days. I need to see how bad crowds are while we are there.

MickeyLuv'r

In case you were not aware, people do vacation differently......I did that when my kids were little, now they are teenagers and they dont wake up until 10am-11am.......We are at parks until 1am while you've probably been asleep for 3 hours and i cant figure out why you would do that.....

Point is, the system penalizes you....

Please dont argue about how people vacation, that is boring and stupid and happens way too much here....
WDW hasn't (really) been open that late in several years. I think the only exceptions in all of 2019 were: March 13 and April 17+24 (EMH went until 1am), July 3+4 (1am), November 27 (EMH until 1am), and NYE (open until 1am). There were none of the crazy late nights like they used to do in years past.

The rest of December 2019 MK closed by 10pm except it was open until 11pm (2nights) and midnight (10nights, mostly Christmas week). The other parks were all closed before midnight (mostly by 10pm) except 12/31/19.

In November 2019, all the parks were closed by 10pm all month except MK had 5 closings at 11pm, and one EMH until midnight.

July 2019, MK closed at 10pm, except 4 EMH's that went until midnight. The rest of the parks all closed earlier, mostly by 10pm.

MK was open until midnight Easter week, the rest of the month, it mostly closed at 10pm/11pm weekends.

In March of 2019, there was only 1 night EMH went past midnight. Every night of April/March 2019 the rest of the parks closed well before midnight: HS=8:30pm, AK = 9:30pm, Epcot 9pm + just 2 night of PM EMH until 11pm.

July 2019, MK had 5 EMH's that went until midnight, but the rest of the month is closed at 10pm

Personally, I try to use all the peripheral park hours as much as possible, both AM and PM. For a number of years, that meant we only got about 5 hours of sleep, but WDW has made it much easier in recent years. We felt cheated in the summer of 2019, because the parks all closed by 10pm the week we visited.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
FP+ and DDP changed over time. It seems likely WDW will also modify this new system over time.

For now, none of us have actually used the new system, and WDW has already made a few clarifications on how they plan to implement this.

When DDP was new, TS meals included gratuities, then it didn't include gratuities. Most years it did no include alcohol, but then it did.

When FP+ was new, it was rather restrictive. FP were hard to modify, and there was a hard limit of 3. Later WDW added users to book a 4th FP, and over time booking that 4th FP got easier (more MDE). Over time it also got easier to modify all FP.

I imagine Genie+ will also be modified over time, and WDW visitors will become more educated in what works best for them, and/or how they are willing to modify their behavior to make better use of the system.

And the price for the DDP went up with every reduction change in offerings while food quality and variety of menu items arguably dropped.

ImperfectPixie

WDW hasn't (really) been open that late in several years. I think the only exceptions in all of 2019 were: March 13 and April 17+24 (EMH went until 1am), July 3+4 (1am), November 27 (EMH until 1am), and NYE (open until 1am). There were none of the crazy late nights like they used to do in years past.

The rest of December 2019 MK closed by 10pm except it was open until 11pm (2nights) and midnight (10nights, mostly Christmas week). The other parks were all closed before midnight (mostly by 10pm) except 12/31/19.

In November 2019, all the parks were closed by 10pm all month except MK had 5 closings at 11pm, and one EMH until midnight.

July 2019, MK closed at 10pm, except 4 EMH's that went until midnight. The rest of the parks all closed earlier, mostly by 10pm.

MK was open until midnight Easter week, the rest of the month, it mostly closed at 10pm/11pm weekends.

In March of 2019, there was only 1 night EMH went past midnight. Every night of April/March 2019 the rest of the parks closed well before midnight: HS=8:30pm, AK = 9:30pm, Epcot 9pm + just 2 night of PM EMH until 11pm.

July 2019, MK had 5 EMH's that went until midnight, but the rest of the month is closed at 10pm

Personally, I try to use all the peripheral park hours as much as possible, both AM and PM. For a number of years, that meant we only got about 5 hours of sleep, but WDW has made it much easier in recent years. We felt cheated in the summer of 2019, because the parks all closed by 10pm the week we visited.
That's why so many dislike the parties and after hours events. The parks used to stay open much later - especially MK, and we don't get to enjoy those late hours anymore.

peter11435

That's why so many dislike the parties and after hours events. The parks used to stay open much later - especially MK, and we don't get to enjoy those late hours anymore.
But… that’s kinda misleading. Obviously we can’t look at current park hours because things have not yet returned to normal. But there were certainly many days pre-Covid that the parks including the Magic Kingdom were open late. If you go back and look at historic park hours before parties or after hours events existed there were still days that the magic kingdom closed at 6 or 7 PM.

nickys

Premium Member
My understanding is that if you do 2 ahead of time, those are the only ones you get those days. You cannot go the rides and register for more.

Alternatively, you can use it the way it currently is, going to rides and getting a return time based on the standby wait and only 1 at a time. As an aside, that’s another argument for Disney to inflate wait times to make lying for a DAS less “valuable”
I’ve looked into this, and this is NOT correct.

There are two separate types of DAS passes, Advance Selections and DAS Returns.

At some point, and this may not be from Oct 19th, you have the ability to register for DAS by video link ahead of your visit through MDE.

If you do this, you will be able to book two Advance Selections subject to availability. These have a specific start time and a 1 hour 1window to be used.

You can only book Advance Selections at least 2 days before your visit. You cannot do it if you register for DAS at the parks.

These Advance Selections do not impact your ability to book DAS Returns in the park.

In the parks, you can either book DAS Returns on the app or in person.

DAS Returns are based on the Standby wait time.

You can only hold one DAS Return at a time, but they do not expire. You can return any time after the return time.

DAS Returns can be booked, cancelled or modified in the app or in person.

“in person” can be at the attraction, at a kiosk or at the Guest Experience locations as before.

At the moment it seems it may just be the DAS Returns that are rolled out on Oct 19th.

Last edited:

Communicora

Premium Member
What was their take

Them not having to pay for it I’m sure makes it better though 🤦‍♂️

Disney buying good PR.

Overall, the discussion was not very positive. They tried to focus on the facts when it came to how the different features worked. One thing they also noted was that it took features from Touring Plans with a "sprinkle" of Lou Mongello's old audio tours.

Jeff4272

Overall, the discussion was not very positive. They tried to focus on the facts when it came to how the different features worked. One thing they also noted was that it took features from Touring Plans with a "sprinkle" of Lou Mongello's old audio tours.
I’ll stick with Len and his independent, non biased analysis and real time wait times and I will continue to help by posting my real time wait times whenever I am there.

sticking with what got me there as they say

Hitchens

Line shortening options remind me of that Gilbert & Sullivan line: "If everybody's somebody, that no one's any body."

$15 a day per person will sound reasonable to most Disney World guests,
just as paying for parking, Magic Bands, and airport transportation fees are reasonable. But
at $15, the demand for some Lightning Lane attractions will be so high that Disney will be "forced" to add more attractions to the individual upcharge list and/or charge more for Lightning Lane. You'll see.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
“Based on overwhelmingly positive guest feedback, we are adding additional attractions to Disney Lightning Lane!”

Not as far fetched as some would think. Because how many things have been changed due to “guest feedback” but yet not a single person anywhere recalls giving said feedback or knows anyone who did? DVC trying to change to paper and plastic kitchen utensils comes to mind, unless that was only studios.

drizgirl

Line shortening options remind me of that Gilbert & Sullivan line: "If everybody's somebody, that no one's any body."

$15 a day per person will sound reasonable to most Disney World guests,
just as paying for parking, Magic Bands, and airport transportation fees are reasonable. But
at $15, the demand for some Lightning Lane attractions will be so high that Disney will be "forced" to add more attractions to the individual upcharge list and/or charge more for Lightning Lane. You'll see.
There's not enough left that can physically accommodate a second return line. They pushed that envelope during FP+ and already know what can handle it and what can't.

Fido Chuckwagon

So now that we know all the details of genie plus, what’s going to stop people from claiming disability to essentially get the service for free?
Hopefully the same thing that stopped people from claiming disability access during fastpass+.
There's not enough left that can physically accommodate a second return line. They pushed that envelope during FP+ and already know what can handle it and what can't.
Outdoor ride queues could be converted easily. I don’t think it would be too difficult to add lightning lanes to PeopleMover, Astro Orbiter, Carousel of Progress, Tiki Room (just make one of the rows the lightning lane), triceratops spin.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Blogmickey noted the Pre-Arrival registration for DAS is live. Here's the information + link -

Pre-Arrival via Live Video Chat

Eligible Guests now have the option to pre-register virtually with a Cast Member via live video chat between 2 to 30 days in advance of a park visit.

If DAS is provided, you (or a parent/guardian if under 18 years of age) will participate in the registration process, which requires having a photo taken.

DAS is valid for up to 60 days. After this time period, you’ll need to re-register.

Other Important Things to Note

Live chat is available from 7:00 AM – 11:00 PM Eastern Time.

The recording of this video chat is not permitted.

The Guest requesting DAS (or their parent/guardian) must be 18 years of age or older to register. The Guest requesting to use DAS must be present during the video call.

If you've not logged in to your Disney account, you'll be prompted to log in. If you don’t have a Disney account, you’ll need to create one before continuing.

Video chat is screen reader-friendly for Guests with visual disabilities and available with text chat for Guests with hearing disabilities.

At this time, live chat is offered in English only.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom