Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

mikejs78

Premium Member
Why wouldn't you just book your FoP IAS at 9:30 when you wake up for sometime after 2? You don't have to wait to get to the park to buy an IAS and you can schedule it for whenever you want, assuming availability. My bet is that you'll easily be able to snag a 4 PM IAS for FoP at 9:30. And for Genie+, we will have to see, but I'd be very surprised if they don't keep refreshing the pool over the course of the day. You don't have to be in the park after park opening if you are off site.

IAS you can schedule your time. Genie+ is next available in the pool.

Jeff4272

Sears at it’s height definitely had more more relative market share then Disney does today.
Lol. Not even close bro. Sears peak valuation was $92b in 1965 (Adjusted for inflation for today’s dollars).

Disney valuation is 2x that right now at about $180b.

you can’t compare a retailer vs a media company as far as market share is concerned, apples to monkeys as they say

Jeff4272

Why wouldn't you just book your FoP IAS at 9:30 when you wake up for sometime after 2? You don't have to wait to get to the park to buy an IAS and you can schedule it for whenever you want, assuming availability. My bet is that you'll easily be able to snag a 4 PM IAS for FoP at 9:30. And for Genie+, we will have to see, but I'd be very surprised if they don't keep refreshing the pool over the course of the day. You don't have to be in the park after park opening if you are off site.

I was not aware of that. You can choose return time for IAS?

Fido Chuckwagon

Lol. Not even close bro. Sears peak valuation was $92b in 1965 (Adjusted for inflation for today’s dollars).

Disney valuation is 2x that right now at about $180b.
I said relative market share. You can’t just use inflation. The US and World economy were smaller back then. The world population was less then half what it is now. Inflation only measures buying power.

Fido Chuckwagon

That’s inflation adjusted.

market share in a retailer vs a media company can’t be compared
You can’t just use inflation adjusted dollars to compare the relative sizes of companies at different times. Sears was a bigger company relative to the global economy in 1965 then Disney is today. In 1965 the world population was 3.3 billion. Today it’s over 7 billion. The total market capitalization of all publicly traded companies in the world in 2020 was around 94 trillion. In 1965 it was less then 1 trillion. Sears in 1965 was much much much bigger then Disney is today relatively speaking, and it is not even close. Sears ultimately failed. Disney can too.

Jeff4272

You can’t just use inflation adjusted dollars to compare the relative sizes of companies at different times. Sears was a bigger company relative to the global economy in 1965 then Disney is today. In 1965 the world population was 3.3 billion. Today it’s over 7 billion. The total market capitalization of all publicly traded companies in the world in 2020 was around 94 trillion. In 1965 it was less then 1 trillion. Sears in 1965 was much much much bigger then Disney is today relatively speaking, and it is not even close.
Comparing a retailer to a media company makes no sense. Moving on.

Fido Chuckwagon

Comparing a retailer to a media company makes no sense. Moving on.
I was not the one who compared a media company to a retailer. Somebody else pointed to Sears as an example of the “too big to fail” type of company fallacy. I correctly pointed out that Sears was much bigger relative to market share at it’s height then Disney at it’s heyday, so yes, that’s a good example that no company is too big to fail. You incorrectly jumped in to try to use inflation-adjusted dollars to dispute this point and claim that Sears in its heyday was smaller then Disney is now. But I agree, let’s move on.

doctornick

While I would love to visit both Tokyo Disney and Disneyland Paris, the reality (for me) is that if/when I go to those places, going to a Disney park will be very low on my to-do list. While I don't know if I'll ever make it to Japan, I've already been to Paris -- but I could probably go back three or four more times and still not feel like I had the time to make it to DLP. There are just too many other things that I want to see/do.

This is me as well. I’ve actually been to Paris, Tokyo and Hong Kong (the last prior to HKDL) and haven’t visited those Disney parks and honestly can’t say that I would were I back in those cities (or Shanghai). There’s just so much I would want to see and do when I’m in a foreign country that seeing their version of an American “thing” just isn’t high on my list no matter how beautiful and wonderful those parks may be.

I mean, I guess if I were in Japan for like three weeks sure I’d check out TDL. But if I’m in a situation where I have that kind of time on a trip in the Far East, I’d probably spend part going to other places in the region and not spending three weeks in Japan.

I don’t bemoan other people’s preferences but I always find the suggestion of taking a long plane ride to go to a foreign park to be odd to me. You should be telling people there’s a huge awesome world beyond theme parks to explore as an alternative to WDW. Your prospective might vary.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So now that we know all the details of genie plus, what’s going to stop people from claiming disability to essentially get the service for free?
Wait, wha? DAS people get DG+ for free?

Isn't it the case they only skip waiting in Standby, but, they still have to wait the posted Standby wait, then get into LL?

Old DAS: Go to line, get return time schedule.

New DAS: Go to line *virtually* on you DG app, get return time schedule.

New DAS won't be able to 'stack' LLs like DG+ can.

At least, that's how I interpret things.

Last edited:

Waters Back Side

That's the only way I'd ever pay for Genie +. When I go to Epcot the week of New Years, I have no desire to book my rides right at 7am. I actually prefer to wait because I do not want to book a ride so early. For one if it's always next available wouldn't every ride at 7am first be when the park opens? If that is not the case then its already a given they will stagger availability.

I expect..not hope..but expect to be able to ride Soarin and Test Track on the same day. I expect to be able to use LL for both Smugglers Run and Slinky and ToT on the same day. I am not saying it will work seamlessly where backtracking in the park is not necessary or the order of things you wanted to do will fall perfectly in line. I will always prefer FP+ over this, but this will fail if people do not get to go on the rides they want quickly when it's no longer free to do so. You are paying to save time and paying for convience they have to deliver. Its not about whether they care about us as the guests or not it's about them making money on this. You CAN make your first choice at 7am..which is good for those who like to arrive at the park early. You CAN also wait until 10 or 1030 to book your ride. Its one thing if that means you get Test Track at 5pm and you have to now wait 2 hours for your next choice, but to completely be shut out of a ride because of no availability, I do not think even Disney would fall low enough to do.

As for the IAS rides, I also am more concerned about them selling quickly or to the point that the time you get to "choose" is a time that was not really your first choice.

So there has been so much discussion on Genie+ but I have not seen little on regular old Genie. After watching Molly from Allears explain it as being super intuitive (a product of customers using magic band for 8 years I suppose) it had me questioning though who would really use it and will it be necessary to use in the parks. (wait time readings) Will the Disney My experience go away?

The thought of having to put in all my preferences actually annoys me as I have been enough to know where I want to go, we do not know where we want to eat until we are hungry. Will the Disney veterans be forced into using Genie? Currently the map of times listed as one of my only resources. Wonder how reliant we will be forced to become on just Genie?

Then again it could be amazing like the Bus times listed on my experience app that completely revolutionized when I left my hotel room or left the parks. Now that was a game changer for us!

JAB

So there has been so much discussion on Genie+ but I have not seen little on regular old Genie. After watching Molly from Allears explain it as being super intuitive (a product of customers using magic band for 8 years I suppose) it had me questioning though who would really use it and will it be necessary to use in the parks. (wait time readings) Will the Disney My experience go away?

The thought of having to put in all my preferences actually annoys me as I have been enough to know where I want to go, we do not know where we want to eat until we are hungry. Will the Disney veterans be forced into using Genie? Currently the map of times listed as one of my only resources. Wonder how reliant we will be forced to become on just Genie?

Then again it could be amazing like the Bus times listed on my experience app that completely revolutionized when I left my hotel room or left the parks. Now that was a game changer for us!
MDE is not going away - from what Disney has said, Genie will be a new feature within the MDE app.

I don't think anyone will *have to* use Genie if they don't want to. If you're a seasoned WDW vet who knows his way around the parks, and how to efficiently navigate lines and minimize wait times, then you'll likely be able to just ignore Genie if you want (although I am curious to see how what it will suggest compares to what my own well-honed WDW skills tell me). I think it's more for the many guests who aren't as experienced or informed and who are not always sure where to go next or when the best time to get in line is.

In all honesty, though, I have a feeling that ultimately Genie is really going to be more about Disney trying to redistribute guests so that they're more evenly spread throughout the park than it is about reducing wait times for individual guests (although it will probably do that for many).

nickys

Premium Member
You're missing my point.

I don't care if Chapek leaves Park Pass turned on. I'm not going to use it. There's absolutely zero reason for me to book my reservation 30, 60, or any number of days in advance. With FastPass+, I had a reason to tell them my park plans 60 days out. When parks were filling to the COVID-limited capacity, I had a reason to tell them my park plans as far out as possible. With neither of those things, I'll book my park pass the day before.
Assuming you can, of course. I get your point that they’ll usually be available. Until they’re not, like currently the first week in January has zero availability for DHS for resort guests or ticket holders.
Gotcha. I can make at 9:30 when I wake up. I think off site have to be in park. I just can’t choose my return time correct? So if st 9:30am FOP return is at noon and we don’t get there until 2 pm I won’t be able to pick a later time?
For the IAS / ILL rides you can select your time.

For Genie+ you are offered the next available time.

nickys

Premium Member
Wait, wha? DAS people get DG+ for free?

Isn't it the case they only skip waiting in Standby, but, they still have to wait the posted Standby wait, then get into LL?

Old DAS: Go to line, get return time schedule.

New DAS: Go to line *virtually* on you DG+ app, get return time schedule.

New DAS won't be able to 'stack' LLs like DG+ can.

At least, that's how I interpret things.
Pretty much.

However I think under the new system, when you get it you will get 2 return times up front. But the return times are still based on standby waits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom