Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

flynnibus

Premium Member
Ok, now the whole system is going to be a failure because Animal Kingdom doesn't have a bunch of rides that really NEED FP?

LOL

Newsflash.. DAK isn't gonna steer this ship. The fact you didn't need FP for some attractions in the past isn't going to magically change because FP is now paid.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Ok, now the whole system is going to be a failure because Animal Kingdom doesn't have a bunch of rides that really NEED FP?

LOL

Newsflash.. DAK isn't gonna steer this ship. The fact you didn't need FP for some attractions in the past isn't going to magically change because FP is now paid.
Yup. People are absolutely going to buy length-of-stay and only get real benefit on their one or two MK days.

themarchhare

I know how Genie+ works, thank you.

These are not the best rides in either of these parks. Kilimanjaro Safaris is the best ride at Animal Kingdom, and it's on Genie+. Spaceship Earth, Soarin, Test Track, Living With the Land, and Mission Space are all better than Frozen or Rat.
Never said that they were the best rides. The logic that I'm seeing is that Genie+ is *more* appealing because it includes *less* rides (the two most popular in each park).

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
How so? The best rides (IMO) in AK are FOP and EE. You don’t get access to those with G+.

I guess it all depends on the rides everyone individually values.
Kilimanjaro Safaris consistently ranks at or near the top of all Walt Disney World attractions in guest satisfaction. I think it usually polls something like 85% "Excellent".

Never said that they were the best rides. The logic that I'm seeing is that Genie+ is *more* appealing because it includes *less* rides (the two most popular in each park).
We've known all along that it would be two rides per park, at least initially. I'm saying the PARTICULAR rides they chose to sell individually resulted in better rides being "left behind" and included in G+.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Are you kidding me? Chapek is a god damn hero amongst DIS stick holders. He took all the money out the parks and put it into Disney+. No ME, free magic bands, less staff, no more live performers and add in another revenue source in genie/ias?
The cut backs of those perks are a drop in the bucket compared to the billions of dollars spent in capex. Yes capex was reduced, but because of park shutdowns during a pandemic. And surprisingly, by not that much.

And yes, D+ is the top priority of Disney Corp, but that was set years ago when they introduced it... by Iger.

As someone who's been watching the quarterly reports for years now, I don't see what you claim is happening.

Are they squeezing the parks for more yield? Yes.

Is it because of D+? No.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Let’s overlook the fact that there isn’t enough rides at 2 of the parks for this to even make sense for a second.

This is why Genie is going to be a terrible disaster unless it changes in some major way.

I’ve been to many theme parks and have paid for many a line cutter pass.

Line cutter passes are sort of nebulas in the sense that you pay for it and the your start going on rides without waiting. You really enjoy some rides, some are ok, others not for you at all.

At the end of the day you had a good time and you’re very happy you didn’t have to stand in line.

Disneys big mistake is the IA$.

This puts the exact value of a SINGLE ride on your cell phone screen.

When the ride your family of 4 just paid $60 to ride is over you can immediately judge if you got your moneys worth. The answer to this questions for many will be NO.

Couple that with how easy it is to post screenshots to social media of how much it’s going to cost you to ride a single ride.

Disney will not have control of this message and the casual Disney fan will assume they have started charging per ride.

Disney can quickly lose control of the narrative.

I know everyone here thinks they are invincible.

I guess we are about to find out.
I gather you're not a fan of Genie+

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
The cut backs of those perks are a drop in the bucket compared to the billions of dollars spent in capex. Yes capex was reduced, but because of park shutdowns during a pandemic. And surprisingly, by not that much.

And yes, D+ is the top priority of Disney Corp, but that was set years ago when they introduced it... by Iger.

As someone who's been watching the quarterly reports for years now, I don't see what you claim is happening.

Are they squeezing the parks for more yield? Yes.

Is it because of D+? No.
As far as I'm concerned, there's basically zero long-term you can say about what Chapek's decisions as CEO will look like. Every single decision he's made so far has been tainted by COVID.

Waters Back Side

Genie+ doesn't include these though. These are all the rides that are extra per-ride, per-person ON TOP of Genie+.

I believe what he meant is the pay per rides on top of Genie (in his opinion) are NOT the best rides in the park. And I'm inclined to agree in some cases. Frozen is a VASTLY overrated ride. There is nothing better about Frozen then the Under the Sea Mermaid ride in MK. I cannot think of one single aspect that makes it better. Of course my daughter likes it but it is overrated. Remy makes sense to be on the top tier but nobody can call it the best ride yet when it is not even open. It can be argued that Soarin is by far the best ride in Epcot and Test Tracks 80 plus minute wait all day being avoided os a bonus as well. You can do the entire section formerly known as future world in half a day with Genie Plus. Even if they made TT the IAS and Frozen a Genei + ride, you are still looking at 2 rides that were previously tier 1s.

In MK SDMT is not nearly the best ride. I would gladly give that up for Big Thunder, Splash. Jungle cruise. Pirates and the Mansion in one day. Something I never accomplished when going on a busy week.

In HS you can go on Smugglers and MMRR the same day and still do TOT which is arguably one of the best rides.

You sound as if Genie is completely useless. If you feel that way then do not purchase it and go with the IAS rides instead. But there is the capability of it working to your advantage.

In my opinion the ride choices on the Genie + platform are pretty reasonable amd better tjen the tiers with FP. It becomes meaningless if there are availability issues though.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
There is nothing better about Frozen then the Under the Sea Mermaid ride in MK. I cannot think of one single aspect that makes it better

The skating animatronics vs the plastic figures that just rock in place don't stand out to you?
The detailed indoor queue with structures and effects?
The projection blended Animatronics vs the plastic fish on carousels don't do it for you?
smoke effects vs... zero environmental effects
highly fluid human figures vs animated hair....

Yeah, I can't think of a single aspect Frozen does either... /s

mikejs78

Premium Member
Not understanding the point of Genie+ when it doesn't include each park's two most popular rides. This system is trash.

I almost wish they'd just follow the every-other-park method of really expensive express (a la Universal Orlando, Sea World Parks, Cedar Fair, Six Flags, etc.). Overpriced? Absolutely. But at least it makes SENSE.

I really feel bad for the cast members because it seems like they're driving Disney Parks off of a cliff and I really don't think it's going to end well. There's not enough of the clientele that they're trying to appeal to that actually want to vacation at a Disney Resort.

Let’s overlook the fact that there isn’t enough rides at 2 of the parks for this to even make sense for a second.

This is why Genie is going to be a terrible disaster unless it changes in some major way.

I’ve been to many theme parks and have paid for many a line cutter pass.

Line cutter passes are sort of nebulas in the sense that you pay for it and the your start going on rides without waiting. You really enjoy some rides, some are ok, others not for you at all.

At the end of the day you had a good time and you’re very happy you didn’t have to stand in line.

Disneys big mistake is the IA$.

This puts the exact value of a SINGLE ride on your cell phone screen.

When the ride your family of 4 just paid $60 to ride is over you can immediately judge if you got your moneys worth. The answer to this questions for many will be NO.

Couple that with how easy it is to post screenshots to social media of how much it’s going to cost you to ride a single ride.

Disney will not have control of this message and the casual Disney fan will assume they have started charging per ride.

I know everyone here thinks they are invincible.

I guess we are about to find out.

It is not out of the realm of possibility that IA$ will flop. Who would pay $5 for Frozen? Even Space Mountain? I can see it for Rise and FoP, and maybe Tron and/or Guardians when they open. But not in near the numbers I think they are expecting.

Prediction: within a year they dump IA$ and offer Genie Premiere Access or something like that, with a higher price tag than Genie+ but with all the tier one rides. Say, $30.

I also think they will eventually offer multi-day discounts to add on to your multi-day ticket.

UNCgolf

The skating animatronics vs the plastic figures that just rock in place don't stand out to you?
The projection blended Animatronics vs the plastic fish on carousels don't do it for you?

I think Frozen is pretty awful for a number of reasons (the biggest being that most of the ride is just empty space surrounding small vignettes with admittedly impressive AAs), but it's definitely better than the Little Mermaid ride.

nickys

Premium Member

That is a very good point that hadn’t occurred to me before.

Even though it can be refuted, the damage will already be done.

Casper Gutman

Frozen is an AA showroom that puts them in empty, unthemed voids. Mermaid is a traditional Fantasyland dark ride that cost too much but doesn't deserve half the hate it gets. And Ursula is as impressive as anything in Frozen - and is more interesting then the standard human figures that fill the ride after the first room.

And Frozen replaced a better, classic ride and has no business being where it is.

And the queue of Mermaid is as good as if not superior to that of Frozen.

Waters Back Side

Frozen is an AA showroom that puts them in empty, unthemed voids. Mermaid is a traditional Fantasyland dark ride that cost too much but doesn't deserve half the hate it gets. And Ursula is as impressive as anything in Frozen - and is more interesting then the standard human figures that fill the ride after the first room.

And Frozen replaced a better, classic ride and has no business being where it is.

And the queue of Mermaid is as good as if not superior to that of Frozen.

I agree, too much empty space on the ride, lacks color/less eye candy (I see blue for a day after riding it) and the queue is better on Mermaid. I do not see anything really jump out at me on Frozen. Frozen was not a terrible idea but it replaced an existing ride that was suited better for Norway. At the same time. They should have built Frozen in the animation courtyard in HS and kept Maelstrom IMO.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom