Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Chi84

Premium Member
So if i understand correctly. You have 3 rides at times that were chosen for you as opposed to choosing those times from the comfort of your own home when FP was around and you were able to pre book? Not to mention you havent disclosed what rides you have and if they were your top 3 choices which as a resort guest you pretty much always were able to get…

Ive used the app. The system sucks not the app itself (other than the limitations in place)
For some odd reason, people think their experience is everyone's experience. If someone had a good outcome with a particular system, then if another person doesn't they're incompetent whiners.

One of the big problems I had with Genie+ and ILLs was not getting the window I tried to reserve. We got completely different times for Rise (chose 1:05 and it was "confirmed" for 3:40) and SDD. That may not happen at parks like MK where there is a lot more ride capacity.

Last edited by a moderator:

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
For some odd reason, people think their experience is everyone's experience. If someone had a good outcome with a particular system, then if another person doesn't they're incompetent whiners.

One of the big problems I had with Genie+ and ILLs was not getting the window I tried to reserve. We got completely different times for Rise (chose 1:05 and it was "confirmed" for 3:40) and SDD. That may not happen at parks like MK where there is a lot more ride capacity.
i used it for 8 days and happened at EVERY park at the 7am booking MK to a lesser degree BUT the other parks were a joke

mikejs78

Premium Member

This happened to me twice - once for Rise, once for 7DMT.

DisneyDebRob

My biggest problem with this whole new system is that Disney now has a financial incentive to have long lines. What could possibly make them want more capacity? Its a constant flow of money now from people who dont want to wait in lines.
It’s basically a expensive itinerary planner that will always be around and just get more expensive when the crowds get worse.

drizgirl

My biggest problem with this whole new system is that Disney now has a financial incentive to have long lines. What could possibly make them want more capacity? Its a constant flow of money now from people who dont want to wait in lines.
It’s basically a expensive itinerary planner that will always be around and just get more expensive when the crowds get worse.
Let's see. They can address long lines with things that cost them a lot of money. Or they can address them with something that produces a revenue stream.

Hmmmm...... wonder which way they'll go. :cautious:

DisneyDebRob

Let's see. They can address long lines with things that cost them a lot of money. Or they can address them with something that produces a revenue stream.

Hmmmm...... wonder which way they'll go. :cautious:
All companies do the same thing, Disney is no different. Don’t understand your point because my whole post was basically saying that.

IanDLBZF

With the latest MDE update, the tip board now remembers what park you select if you change it from the default of Magic Kingdom. For example, if you close the app and then relaunch, it will go to the selection you chose, rather than going back to Magic Kingdom.

Disney also added a new purchase banner on the tip board.

View attachment 649653
And that's not all....
Plans will now become visible after 12am!

mysto

One of the big problems I had with Genie+ and ILLs was not getting the window I tried to reserve.

I've been thinking about this, why would they do this? What if it reduces the load on the system?

I think FP+ was getting gummed up because it had too much work to do. To hang on to your reservation it needs another state for each time slot that has to be negotiated with the central servers. A ride/time could be available, pre-reserved (being booked), reserved, and released (needs to add back to the available pool).

G+ just has available and reserved. Released may exist but there are FAR fewer of these because no one wants to give up a reservation BEFORE booking a new one further reducing load. A reservation "book it" request is simpler, it just gives you a time from the pool without checking the time itself or looking at your account to see what you've been promised.

Each time you make a change to a ride/time the change must be communicated to the central server. Semaphores/locks must be established and shared out to redundant servers. FP+ was doing a lot more of this kind of work than G+ does making it easier to support large numbers of users without downtime under G+.

So this shift may have been intentionally intended to serve the machines better than the guests, and some guests noticed.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Difference is the other companies keep adding new attractions

In the past five years Disney has added:
  • Flight of Passage
  • Navi River Journey
  • Slinky Dog Dash
  • Alien Swirling Saucers
  • Millennium Falcon Smugglers Run
  • Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway
  • Rise of the Resistance
  • Remy's Ratatouille Adventure
  • Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind
  • Tron later this year
But Disney doesn't add new attractions.

Touchdown

In the past five years Disney has added:
  • Flight of Passage
  • Navi River Journey
  • Slinky Dog Dash
  • Alien Swirling Saucers
  • Millennium Falcon Smugglers Run
  • Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway
  • Rise of the Resistance
  • Remy's Ratatouille Adventure
  • Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind
  • Tron later this year
But Disney doesn't add new attractions.
Pandora is over 5 years old and everything other then Remy and Tron replaced a prior attraction. So technically, they’ve only added 2 rides to increase capacity.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Pandora is over 5 years old and everything other then Remy and Tron replaced a prior attraction. So technically, they’ve only added 2 rides to increase capacity.
Barely over 5 years old. It opened in May of 2017.

And when they replace attractions that aren't fully utilized with attractions that are, that affects capacity. Rise and Falcon, for example, are much more of a draw than LMA which was rarely filled.

Sorry, that argument doesn't cut it.

Last edited:

Touchdown

Barely over 5 years old. It opened in May of 2017.

And when they replace attractions that aren't fully utilized with attractions that are, that affects capacity. Rise and Falcon, for example, are much more of a draw than LMA which was rarely filled.

Sorry, your argument doesn't cut it.
You can’t count Tron and Pandora in the same 5 year period they are more then 5 years apart, to quote Mr. Incredible “math is math.”

LMA was a gigantic show and while it might not fill it held a lot of people per show, and when you combine it with HISTP and the Trams I’m willing to bet the numbers are far closer then you think they are. I’m nearly certain Mickey and GMR numbers are extremely close too. Guardians appears to be able to handle more people then the crowd Energy attracted at the end, but still it’s not as impressive as you think it is, especially when all those parks have room to expand without removing.

MickeyLuv'r

WDW also eliminated many offerings over the last 5 years. Some will reopen, but some will not, or have not yet re-opened.

I intentionally used the vague word 'offerings' because the cut-backs were not just attractions, but many things that kept people occupied.

mikejs78

Premium Member
WDW also eliminated many offerings over the last 5 years. Some will reopen, but some will not, or have not yet re-opened.

I intentionally used the vague word 'offerings' because the cut-backs were not just attractions, but many things that kept people occupied.
They definitely need to up their entertainment game. That would go along way. I was just pointing out that saying Disney wasn't building anything was patently false.

The big tell will be D23 this year. They need to have another round of announcements now that the current set of things is wrapping up.

MickeyLuv'r

They definitely need to up their entertainment game. That would go along way. I was just pointing out that saying Disney wasn't building anything was patently false.

The big tell will be D23 this year. They need to have another round of announcements now that the current set of things is wrapping up.
This is one of those talking points that is a little context dependent. To some extent, both of you are correct. WDW has built new attractions, but not necessarily increased capacity.

There's some back and forth in this thread about WDW attendance going up every year, when technically it went down last year, but as soon as someone points that out, well context. Another year WDW went down was 2002. (I just happened to have just looked at 2002).

So it is possible for WDW attendance to go down in any given year. Long term, it has gone up, but I don't share the assumption it will keep going up if WDW doesn't remedy the current situation.

Though to be really honest, I think the problems are much bigger than anything Disney controls. Not only do we have inflation, but also a very thick level of tension and division that gets worse every day. People tend to shy away from vacation spending under those circumstances.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No

Everyone is getting allexcited about D23 like its the Bible. How many things have been announced that have been scrapped. & people act like some announcement means it will be opening anytime soon. They just said late 2024 for a retheme if Splash which means basically 4 years from original announcement. We literally may not see something brand new for at least 4-6 years. This company may sit here & say let Uni bring in the guests & we willget the trickle effect of their new park. Rest on GoTG & Tron & Hype Tiana til kingdom come.

bhg469

Everyone is getting allexcited about D23 like its the Bible. How many things have been announced that have been scrapped. & people act like some announcement means it will be opening anytime soon. They just said late 2024 for a retheme if Splash which means basically 4 years from original announcement. We literally may not see something brand new for at least 4-6 years. This company may sit here & say let Uni bring in the guests & we willget the trickle effect of their new park. Rest on GoTG & Tron & Hype Tiana til kingdom come.
I will never forgive them for rolling back the new future world plans. When the announcement was made it was still pretty underwhelming but had some really nice features. They cut an already underwhelming addition...

mikejs78

Premium Member
I will never forgive them for rolling back the new future world plans. When the announcement was made it was still pretty underwhelming but had some really nice features. They cut an already underwhelming addition...
Meh, I like the new plans better. It's salvaging a major mistake in the best way they can.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom