Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Communicora

Premium Member
I agree. Since people are only able to book one FP at a time, it probably won't be a serious issue. It's not like people are going to wake up at 7 and book three (or more) and have everything gone for the day by 7:30.

It's still annoying, though. There's no reason they couldn't wait until park opening time.
Totally. I actually wish you couldn't do any of the regular lightning passes until you entered the gate.

Waters Back Side

My point is if you don’t get the BG or in the standby VQ before they run out, your only option is to pay extra for the Tier 1.

Yes true. But right kow today if you dont get a Boarding group for Rise you have zero options! None. In the new system if you do not get a boarding group you still have the option to ride it if you pay. It's a choice obviously but it's still an option

Raineman

It seems like the people that don't understand why most of us do not like this new system, don't understand this simple point: it's not that we don't like the structure of the system, we don't like that we have to shell out even more $$ for a different version of something that has been included in the price of admission for years. If they wanted to keep the included FPs, but you could only book 1 at a time, and only on the same day, I think almost everyone would be OK with it. If they wanted to include a paid option of more FPs, or something like a paid option where you get 3 additional FPS where you can walk on at any time, people would be OK with that. It's the financial aspect of this that people hate, especially if you're a larger family/group. I'm sure some people are getting fed the line of "If you don't want to pay, just go wait in standby", which is completely patronizing and dismissive. The gap between the experiences of not paying extra and paying extra is going to be wider than ever.
At any rate, my future vacations will involve mostly sitting on a beach in the Caribbean, or sitting around a pool at a vacation home-all with a rum and Coke in my hand and no thoughts of Disney theme parks.

I think what bothers me the most is how this is another benefit taken away from Disney Hotel guests. Losing magical express, seeing resort entertainment taken away, paid parking and now having basically no advantage/perk for Fastpass/Genie + is awful.

I hope consumers are smart and see there is literally no advantage to staying a Disney hotel and paying 2-3x as much as you should for a hotel off-site. I have two very young children but after seeing the hotel rates increase so much plus losing most benefits I plan on taking less trips and staying off site in the next few years. I would rather stay at the Ritz Carlton in Bonnet Creek for what amounts to the Disney Moderate prices.

Totally agree. There is very little incentive to stay on-site right now. The 30 minute early Entry is barely anything compared to Extra Magic Hours, and it's worthless if you don't like rope dropping. The Evening Hours is only for Deluxe and hard to use if you have young kids or like to be relaxing back at the hotel at night.

People are still complaining about this yet they will still stump up to come

Has anybody on this thread gone and cancelled their trips after yesterday’s news?
After having a chance to digest the news and assess how it might affect me, I actually added an extra night to my trip last night.

This won't be a popular opinion around here, but I'm actually ok with this system and I am even looking forward to it. Obviously, not paying for something is always better than paying for something, but I really have no issues with this. I think, for me anyway, this will be beneficial to us. However, this is mostly only true provided there is just 2 tier 1 rides in each park where the LL will cost additional, and this appears to be the case. If 10 rides require an additional cost on top of the Genie+ cost then I won't like that as much.

Raineman

Not very good is it.

Hopefully you understand now why I wasn’t able to post a more specific timeframe for the announcement.
Sometimes, you are the harbinger of doom-sometimes-but, thankfully, not specific about the doom. You let us know the storm is coming, so that we can prepare, but we gotta wait until it gets here to find out how bad it is. ;)

You guys are hilarious.

This is a $15 per day price increase. That's it. It's not more sinister than that. You're acting like they decided to rip out Splash Mountain and replace it wi...

Wait...

It would just be a $15/day increase if it included all the rides in the park. But even if you pay the $15, you have to pay additional money for the two rides per park that are essentially sold separately.

lightningtap347

After having a chance to digest the news and assess how it might affect me, I actually added an extra night to my trip last night.

This won't be a popular opinion around here, but I'm actually ok with this system and I am even looking forward to it. Obviously, not paying for something is always better than paying for something, but I really have no issues with this. I think, for me anyway, this will be beneficial to us. However, this is mostly only true provided there is just 2 tier 1 rides in each park where the LL will cost additional, and this appears to be the case. If 10 rides require an additional cost on top of the Genie+ cost then I won't like that as much.
Interested to know what you are looking forward with with regards to this?

ctrlaltdel

Totally agree. There is very little incentive to stay on-site right now. The 30 minute early Entry is barely anything compared to Extra Magic Hours, and it's worthless if you don't like rope dropping. The Evening Hours is only for Deluxe and hard to use if you have young kids or like to be relaxing back at the hotel at night.
Yeah I think this actually works out decently well for off-site stays (especially if you're not into rope-drop). It's similar to the system previously, with less of the attractions being Tier 1's that are snatched up by those who can book earlier and getting to book your first LL at the same time as onsite.

TimeTrip

Watching all the confusion about "genie" "genie+" and "lightning lane" and "individual attractions" and how one relates to the other, it amazes me how Disney screwed up the naming so badly.
Couldn't they have done "genie" "lightning lane" (currently genie+) and "lightning lane+" (currently individual attractions selection) or something?

Sigh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom