Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

MrPromey

The option is there for the hotel guests, brilliant I am not so sure about that, necessity more like. And it's not that Disney can't, why the heck should they or want to? It would cost them money and they dont need kick in free LL's to sell rooms, they are sold out 6 month out at 600 night a pop. Add in free LL and it might take a year to get a room at WDW or the cost would jump another 200 a night so that didn't happen, it's the last thing we need.

It's nice universal offers that skip the line in some of the room costs, but from my perspective Universal has to offer it as that is a huge reason people even stay there at their price point. Take that perk from universal away and far less universal rooms would be sold, it's just not the case at WDW they don't need to do it.

In a discussion on about how to make LL better at WDW, giving LL included to onsite hotel guests might just jam up the Genie + LL system up even more. It's is the last thing needed in my opinion.

Not sure where you get the idea Disney is sold out six months in advance. They currently have rooms open in many of their open resorts as little as a couple weeks out from today and are running a discount promotion right now for Florida residents to boost occupancy.

It's been this way with availability for a while now, despite Disney being slow to reopen all resorts for bookings.

Point about Universal and their access is that the vast majority of people using it aren't paying for it, directly. They're getting it for "free" with their rooms.

Universal's price point on the paid option is largely a marketing tactic to set the value on the "free" benefit for resort guests as in "with the four of us, the room was practically free when you factor in that we all got that perk!". (The value of which, Universal, conveniently, sets themselves - it's a marketing technique commonly referred to as "price anchoring". Feel free to Google the term if you think I'm off-base, here.)

All that aside, not sure what you mean about them having to do that to get people to stay at Universal at their price point. You make it sound like a bad deal when, much like the rest of the Orlando area, you can get a much nicer room for a much lower price than Disney...

Does Universal need to do this with the current draw their parks offer?

No. Wizards and dinos aside, plenty of people stay at Universal for the better rooms at lower prices and visit Disney - including active members in this forum so even without their parks, they're getting business.

Does this offering sell more rooms?

Obviously.

My only point to responding to your post though, was to address what Universal, specifically, was doing in comparison to Disney since they are the only local competition you mentioned and the point I was trying to make was that Universal's Express pass is far more intended for resort guests than guests specifically paying for it.

If you want to pay, they're not going to pass up free money but that's not why they're offering it the way they are and while talking about how invincible Disney is and how impossible to book a room it would be if they offered something for "free", let's not forget that back before the pandemic, back when, based on your argument above, Disney apparently did need to give their system away for free (not just for resort guests, but everyone), Universal's offering was a much better one than Disney's for onsite guests who with Disney, only got a 60 day window for three fastpases vs. the 30 everyone else buying a ticket to walk in got compared to unlimited "front of line".

Disney can't do for their resort guests what Universal does because Disney doesn't have enough attraction capacity to handle unlimited front-of-line access for the number of resort rooms they have without creating a customer service nightmare for offsite guests still paying top dollar to enter their gates.

That's not because they're so awesome, btw, It's because for almost 20 years, they've been more focused on manipulating crowd levels and pricing to increase profit margins than investing in painfully needed popular attraction capacity.

Last edited:

matt9112

My friends used this system these past few days. They absolutely hated it. Left a bad taste in their mouth, ruined the experience, and worst of all they said it made everything more complicated and stressful.

If Disney want more money (it's a business after all) then just raise the bloody ticket prices, not this nonsense.

They want more levers.....tickets...food....merch...hotels and now this it allows them to mathematically speaking. Fine tune profit and perception.

threvester

In January (Passholder & resort) I was able to purchase G+ before 7AM. Wasn't able to do that in November. Guess they fixed it.
I am here now..ap staying at coronado..it would not let me purchase before 7 the first 2 days. I did the guest services thing, went back and forth with IT and it still didnt fix it. I decided to keep trying and this morning it worked. The difference was i did not preselect any park or rides for genie ahead of time. I had an 8 day trip and missed setting up day 7 from home. I have epcot and the tip board set up for tomorrow ( my last day) . If it wont let me purchase, ill know what the problem is

threvester

It was released today for iOS. Check Google Play, it may be there now. I would check myself but I’m not at home to check in my Bluestacks install.
My phone updated to it yesterday. Stephanie from IT emailed me today to let me know they released it and it should fix my issues. I was letting others know this should fix the AP issue

Purduevian

So it seems like we've had enough time to drop attractions into tier lists. What does everyone think of this list?
ParkS tierA TierB tierC tierD tier
Magic KingdomJungle Cruise, Peter PanBig Thunder, Splash, Haunted MansionPiratesBuzz, Pooh, small world, MermaidDumbo, Meet and greet, Barnstormer, Tea Party, Aladdin, Monster Inc, Speedway
EPCOTTest TrackSoarinMission Space, Spaceship EarthLiving with the LandImagination, Nemo, Crush, Pixar
DHSSlinkySmugglers RunRnRC, ToTTSMM, AlienST, Olaf, BatB, Disney Jr. Frozen, Indy, Muppet
AKNavi, KilimanjaroDinosaurKaliBug, Animation, fotLKFeathered Friends in flight

Jeff4272

So it seems like we've had enough time to drop attractions into tier lists. What does everyone think of this list?
Magic KingdomJungle Cruise, Peter PanBig Thunder, Splash, Haunted MansionPiratesBuzz, Pooh, small world, MermaidDumbo, Meet and greet, Barnstormer, Tea Party, Aladdin, Monster Inc, Speedway
EPCOTTest TrackSoarinMission Space, Spaceship EarthLiving with the LandImagination, Nemo, Crush, Pixar
DHSSlinkySmugglers RunRnRC, ToTTSMM, AlienST, Olaf, BatB, Disney Jr. Frozen, Indy, Muppet
What does S Tier stand for?

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

I honestly had to google it. I've seen it used on a lot of Tier lists in the past, so I included it in this one. Apparently it stands for super or superb and is generally the highest ranking. Sometimes people put SS or S+ above S. Not sure why the lists don't just start with A.
I think we should go for "E Ticket", etc. After all, that's where WDW is headed... back to the past.

Attachments

• Tickets.jpg
    Tickets.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 56

disneygeek90

I honestly had to google it. I've seen it used on a lot of Tier lists in the past, so I included it in this one. Apparently it stands for super or superb and is generally the highest ranking. Sometimes people put SS or S+ above S. Not sure why the lists don't just start with A.
The "tiers" are used commonly when rating video games, specifically character abilities in fighting or shooting games etc. The "S" may originate from academic grading in Japan which makes sense it could have branched from Nintendo games.

Muffinpants

I would have to hard disagree on your S tier rides for Mk and Epcot. I would swap BtM and Hm to S and and jc and pp so C tier. For Epcot Soarin S tier TT D tier for me lol.

James Alucobond

I would have to hard disagree on your S tier rides for Mk and Epcot. I would swap BtM and Hm to S and and jc and pp so C tier. For Epcot Soarin S tier TT D tier for me lol.
I assumed this tiering was in relation to how “valuable” or worthwhile Genie+ purchases were for these attractions in terms of time saved. Don’t think it has to do with the actual attraction experience.

Muffinpants

I assumed this tiering was in relation to how “valuable” or worthwhile Lightning Lane purchases were for these attractions in terms of time saved. Don’t think it has to do with the actual attraction experience.
I mean if the ride has no value to the rider than LL value also changes. was just giving my alterations :D

James Alucobond

Right, but I think it’s just meant to say, “Genie+ really helps on the higher-tiered rides shown here, but not the lower-tiered ones.” Then, you can overlay your own thoughts about ride value and decide whether or not Genie will improve your experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom