• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Disney Genie, Genie+ officially introduced along with confirmed details of how it will work

Waters Back Side

So...

Keep refreshing your app till some LLs get released every day multiple times a day.

vs

Getting on the app 1 time 60 days before your arrival day and book FPs for your entire stay.

I bet the FP hater party is losing members.

I'm not disputing that the old way was better. The poster said there was no availability by 7:02 which is not the case. I'm buying Genie by choice so even with all its flaws and issues I'm gonna still make it try and work for me.

And the thing is..at 7am you are focused on one ride. Its not like you are juggling picking the priority rides on different days. You get 1 to start. Putting aside the ILL rides, you simply move the Genie + ride to the top of the tip board and its ALL you are focusing on. You are not worrying of the other rides are getting picked up. Most of them you have time for. And you cannot book another until 2 hours after the park opens so you do not even need to look at yoyr phone after because there is nothing you can do for a while, unless you get an early return time and then you look again after. Move SDD to the top of the tip board and watch it for 20 minutes.

I think most of us agree we should not have to do this each morning at 7am.

And in saying that, after an in depth conversation with my other half, and the fact one or both of us have to wake up at 7 anyway, I'm not going to attempt to get both SDD and Rise because of the hassle and lack of success of many . For our HS day, the 1st park day for us a week from today, we will early entry at 7:30 AM and walk right to SDD. We will buy Rise for 6pm right at 7am and focus on nothing else. That will be our last ride before dinner. We will Genie + MMRR after that. And studying it, it's better to wait until after 7:15 to get the earlier return time for that. We are shooting for 930-1030. Park opens at 830 to public. So at 1030 latest (sooner if we tap into MMRR) we will grab RNRC for around 5pm. We will at 1pm see if TSM or Alien availability is hanging around for a time of 8-9 for after dinner before park closing

7am -Buy Rise. Genie + MMRR after for anytime before noon (ideally 930-1030).
12-3 back to the resort for a refresher. RNRC booked for sometime between 4 and 6. Rise at 6. Possibly a smaller attraction after dinner. That's a productive day for us. I'd be satisfied.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

Thats on them.
It wasn't "on them". That's literally how the old system worked. As soon as you used your first FastPass, you would be using your phone pretty much the same way you are now to continually check for availability, assuming you were a "maximizer" who wanted to FastPass more than a few rides a day.

LittleBuford

It wasn't "on them". That's literally how the old system worked. As soon as you used your first FastPass, you would be using your phone pretty much the same way you are now to continually check for availability, assuming you were a "maximizer" who wanted to FastPass more than a few rides a day.
You had three prebooked selections to get through before needing (or even being able) to check for further availability. Moreover, many people left it at those three initial selections and didn’t bother with additional day-of FastPasses.

wutisgood

3 weeks off here Southcentral Indiana. Few people are already out at work for the remainder of the year, only 1 traveling out of state to Tennessee.
Dollywood was very manageable around christmas a few years ago and a better christmas event and value than anything in orlando. Also given the hours of quality entertainment and number of rides it is probably a 2 day affair for people interested in doing everything.

James Alucobond

You had three prebooked selections to get through before needing (or even being able) to check for further availability. Moreover, many people left it at those three initial selections and didn’t bother with additional day-of FastPasses.
Oh, guh. Typo'd badly and meant to say "third" instead of "first". But pretty much everyone I know, casual or otherwise, refreshed for additional passes unless they were doing a half day.

LittleBuford

Oh, guh. Typo'd badly and meant to say "third" instead of "first". But pretty much everyone I know, casual or otherwise, refreshed for additional passes unless they were doing a half day.
I was a refresher, so checking my phone has always been part of the experience for me. But knowing I could start my day with three selections already under my belt was a great feeling, as well as a practical benefit. With the new system, I will have to start checking my phone much earlier in the day, all the while stressing about getting my money’s worth. It sounds like an awful downgrade from what we had before, and I for one am not looking forward to it.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Those selections could be swapped out. It was a very common suggestion to keep checking to try and get more preferable selections.
True. Which illustrates another way in which FP+ was superior - The fact that you can update your FP time or even swap for a different attraction without canceling your existing one until the time when you confirm.

With Genie+ You have to cancel before you book another one, and without amount of time you're likely to lose out. What's not even talk about what happens if you have multiple LL's stacked and you cancel the wrong one (i.e. Not the last booked) - you'll end up unable to book another to replace it.

Such a bad system that we are now paying for. FP+ had it's issues but it was far, far better than the dumpster fire of a system we have now.

jkh36619

You serious Clark?

Old system you booked 3 in advance and done. Now if you wanted 10 FPs playing the refresh game and wanted to have your face in your phone doing refreshes all day...It's on you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom