Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Wendy Pleakley

But by your definition, waking up at 9 would be sleeping in. What you’re saying doesn’t apply to me, because I do wake up super early at WDW, but I realise most visitors don’t. At least with FP+, everyone stood a chance of getting a few decent picks. This new system seems much less forgiving.

The original FastPass paper system favoured the early risers as well. I recall having to make a beeline to certain FastPass machines at rope drop just to get one for certain attractions.

If anything, I'd support Disney releasing Genie+ selections in waves throughout the day so people could still get good selections after 9:00, 11:00, etc.

LittleBuford

The original FastPass paper system favoured the early risers as well. I recall having to make a beeline to certain FastPass machines at rope drop just to get one for certain attractions.

If anything, I'd support Disney releasing Genie+ selections in waves throughout the day so people could still get good selections after 9:00, 11:00, etc.
Rolling availability would go a long way to fixing the current issues. I don’t think paper FastPasses typically ran out as quickly as the new selections and passes do.

James Alucobond

I know many here feel that way—hence the wink. I can’t agree, however. I loved FP+ and, based on what’s been reported here about the new system, will miss it terribly during my next visit.
Removing price from the equation, they both have major flaws, but I feel that FP+ was to the extreme benefit of people who were "practiced" in Disney. For that reason, I'm not surprised a lot of people in enthusiast circles prefer its design. The thing is, if you're not familiar with FP+, you can easily bungle the entirety of your vacation months ahead of time with little chance of recovery if you didn't really understand the ride selections you were making and how to space and time them appropriately. At least with something that resets every day, you can adapt as your vacation progresses.

Ayla

Agreed. Outside the hardcore fan community, I think the idea of getting up at the crack of dawn for a theme park would generally be viewed as weird.
I think it's weird and unnecessary, which is why I won't do it, which is also why I won't be buying a Disney park ticket again until it's gone. If that is never, I'm perfectly ok with that.

LittleBuford

Removing price from the equation, they both have major flaws, but I feel that FP+ was to the extreme benefit of people who were "practiced" in Disney. For that reason, I'm not surprised a lot of people in enthusiast circles prefer its design. The thing is, if you're not familiar with FP+, you can easily bungle the entirety of your vacation months ahead of time with little chance of recovery if you didn't really understand the ride selections you were making and how to space and time them appropriately. At least with something that resets every day, you can adapt as your vacation progresses.
I first used FP+ in 2017, having no prior experience of it. I booked my trip less than 30 days out, so I certainly didn’t have my pick of initial selections. Nonetheless, my experience of the system was overwhelmingly positive from the outset. I know it didn’t work as well for others, but I instantly enjoyed and benefitted from it, even with zero practice. A bit of online research prior to my visit was all I needed to prepare myself for how to make the most of the app.

MrPromey

I would like to see everything available for on-site guests at park open and otherwise only after park entry.
Of course you would, if you're staying on site but this is an up-charge and putting restrictions on it for non-resort guests makes it less likely for them to pay for the service which is what Disney wants.

Patcheslee

One can always get up at 7am, make their selection(s), and then stay in bed for a bit. That sounds better to me than the old days where you had to be in the park to start collecting coveted FastPasses.

In a way this benefits the late risers because they can still make selections remotely, regardless of when they get to the park.

For some people the 60 days in advance would be preferable, but again, there's no perfect approach that pleases everyone.
Insomnia is not my friend, if I wake up, then I'm awake for the day. Which sucks when family doesn't normally get up until 10am on weekends. DH on the other hand can fall asleep anywhere at any time. He's fallin asleep at every theme park we've ever visited at least once.
I will say when we first looked at a Disney vacation Dl vs DW. Waking up and getting to the park for DL version was a negative.

RoadiJeff

It may not sound like a lot of fun for many people but it has come down to ways like this if you want to get something when it is gone 8 seconds into the hour. I actually enjoy the competition and part of the reason I bought a $1,200 5G phone last year was to give me a slight speed increase whenever I would try to get a boarding pass for RotR. Disney changed the script on that one and it is now done a bit differently but the phone is still nice and it takes great pics. :)

Tomorrow morning, I'm going to get up a bit before 6:00am (I live in the CST zone) and see about getting a virtual queue for Remy. I know it will not let me get all the way through the process because I do not have a park ticket for that day but I want to see how many times it will let me get down to the point before it tells me that the virtual queue is closed.
OK, I just finished playing the Remy virtual queue game at 7:00am EST. I was able to go through the motions 4 times, up to the point that the system let me know I don't have a ticket for today, until it said that there were no more available.

You absolutely must have some device that is synced to the exact time of the atomic clock signal if you want a pass for the 7:00am window of opportunity. If your watch doesn't have this feature but you brought your laptop with you, go online and do a google search for "atomic clock time now" and click on the first link in the list. That's the National Institute of Standards website and it will show you the current atomic clock time, second by second.

Best of luck in your attempt tomorrow and may the Force be with you (oops, wrong thread).

Thepuma

If FP+ was so difficult for people to work, God only knows how those same people would understand this new system which is a hundreds times more.complicsted with its Genie..Genie Plus..Lightning Lane...LL+...7am for G+...7am for LL if you're on resort..park opening for LL if not...every park opening different times....

FP+ was a million times better (and easier to understand) in every way than Genie.

The easiest way to resolve all this disaster for Disney is to go back to the easier FP+ but charge $50 each for it.....that way their will be less people using FP+ than was in the previous free FP+ and therefore the issue about not getting reservations 30 days before would be solved...AND Disney would make more money...AND it would still keep attendances high.

This system is totally broke in every way..it needs to go.

Thepuma

Also..they need to change the times for LL (for non resort guests)..having to.have people on their phones at the exact time they are going through security, through the scan in location and even worse in the stampede for rope dripping popular rides is quite frankly dangerous.

Jeff4272

It makes sense to me to schedule it for when the first wave of guests are awake and ready to go.

There's no time that's going to work for everyone. People who are slightly later risers should still be able to get decent Genie+ selections. More so at parks like MK with more capacity.

I don't see 7am as super stressful. It's not like the old days where the parks were open late. Most people can be in bed by 11pm making 7am a reasonable wake-up time.

If I prefer to sleep in I can't expect everyone else to wait around for Genie+ selections to open up per my preferences.
Why not make it midnight the night before? Everyone should be able to stay up until midnight the night before. If you go to bed earlier, set your alarm, wake up at 11:50pm and make your selections and then go back to bed

Hear how stupid that sounds?

that’s exactly what getting up at 6:50am EVERY DAY is to a lot of people. Stupid.

Last edited:

Jeff4272

7 am is a perfectly reasonable time. That's when people will be awake in order to have enough time to get ready and get to the parks in time for early entry,

I'm sure Disney didn't pick that time arbitrarily.
What % of guests rope drop? MK averages about 50k people per day. How many enter before 11am? 10k? That’s 20%

so you are penalizing 80% of your guests?

make zero sense

ImperfectPixie

Insomnia is not my friend, if I wake up, then I'm awake for the day. Which sucks when family doesn't normally get up until 10am on weekends. DH on the other hand can fall asleep anywhere at any time. He's fallin asleep at every theme park we've ever visited at least once.
I will say when we first looked at a Disney vacation Dl vs DW. Waking up and getting to the park for DL version was a negative.
OMG...I hear you. There's nothing worse than waking up, looking at the clock and seeing that it's only 4:30am...knowing that you'll toss and turn for the next 2 hours and then feel like a zombie. And my husband can also fall asleep literally anywhere and in less than 5 minutes - the only time I can do that is on a subway. I *may* hate him for it just a little. ;)

Purduevian

I think the 7am is 100% intentional to get guests to go to the park for rope drop. If someone has to be up at 7am anyway, they are more likely to get to the park at or near opening. More park time=more snacking and shopping time= $$.

I can honestly say I HATED waking up at 7am for my EPCOT day a few months ago to get the Remy boarding group. Epcot doesn't open until 2.5 hours later...

dreday3

7am didn't bother me too much, but I would also roll over and go back to sleep some days. I think having a cat who wakes us up by 6:30 am everyday no matter if weekend or not helps us to be up early. 😂

Whatever they change it too (if), I don't want to lose that jump resort guests have for booking the ILLs. It's one of the only perks we have...

Wendy Pleakley

Why not make it midnight the night before? Everyone should be able to stay up until midnight the night before. If you go to bed earlier, set your alarm, wake up at 11:50pm and make your selections and then go back to bed

Hear how stupid that sounds?

that’s exactly what getting up at 6:50am EVERY DAY is to a lot of people. Stupid.

No one has to get up early every day, just as no one had to get up early in the days of paper Fastpass. The truth is there has always been a benefit to getting up early, whether it be for EMH, rope drop, or collecting Fastpasses.

So please tell us oh wise one, since you think everything that doesn't match your opinion is stupid, what is the perfect setup that will please everyone?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom