• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Disney Genie, Genie+ officially introduced along with confirmed details of how it will work

mikejs78

Premium Member
Is there not anything you wont defend?

Plenty:
  • I think the new Genie+ system is inferior to FP+ in every way. So you're paying to get less than what was there before.
  • I think ILL is ridiculous and a blatant cash grab. I
  • I think that the scenario where you're paying for G+ and all LLs are gone by 3 PM is awful, and not acceptable. Disney needs to add LL capacity.
What I won't do is just get outraged over a picture that someone posts up without context, when I understand how these things work.

HoustonHorn

Not quite from what I understand. You are able to book a new lightning lane whenever you do any of the following:
1)Tap into a LL
2)If it has been more than 2 hours since you booked your LL
3)If the time on you LL has expired

So if you have not tapped into your LL by 11 am, you meet criteria 2 and thus are able to book your 2nd LL right at 11am

Once you tap into JC (just after 11am) you meet criteria 1 and thus are able to book your 3rd LL at like 11:01

Now that you have unlocked the ability to hold 2 LL, you keep that the entire day. For instance if at 11am you booked an 11:15 carpets and at 11:01 you booked a 11:30 Pirates

Once you tap into Carpets at 11:15, you can then book your 4th LL. Then at 11:30 once you tap into Pirates you can book your 5th LL.
That is my understanding. But when you have a split party(2 doing X, 2 doing Y), it becomes calculus. There needs to be a notification when you are eligible to book again.

I've been cautiously optimistic about G+.

After this week I hate it with the passion of 1000 suns.

hopemax

Rise and Slinky "sold out" of ILL and G+, respectively, within 2 minutes this morning.

I don't think it was possible to get both.

FG+
Two phones. One person goes for one, another for the other. Same as the advice that everyone with a phone tries for boarding groups.

mikejs78

Premium Member
That is my understanding. But when you have a split party(2 doing X, 2 doing Y), it becomes calculus. There needs to be a notification when you are eligible to book again.

I've been cautiously optimistic about G+.

After this week I hate it with the passion of 1000 suns.
Up until a week ago I was pretty sure I was going to purchase it for my April trip. Now I'm not so sure.

Jeff4272

I’m here now and it’s been a disaster for us so far. Went to HS yesterday. Tried to buy ROTR and it was sold out in 30 seconds and got shut out. Got SDD genie+ at 7 am window for 5:40 return time At second return window at 11am for RnR for 7pm return time and that was it for the day. Everything else was sold out. Complete waste of time and money as I thought it would be during the busy times.

today we were doing AK in am and Epcot at night. Paid for FOP and had 8:50am original time and when I hit enter it was 5:20pm that I got. Went to guest relations and they wouldn’t switch the times and would only refund my money. Got safari st 7am genie+ window for 9:40-10:40. So we decided to hit FOP at park open and even though we were resort guests and got in line at 7:40 it was still 145 minutes to ride so we didn’t get to safari until after our window closed b FOP went down 2 x, both after we went into the pre show room. Went to book second genie+ and everything was gone. Everest closed their single rider line b the park was at max capacity so we left.

then booked our second genie+ for test track after refreshing at 11:31 for the drop and got 2-3pm return time. At 1:31 on the next drop, some later times came up so I cancelled and tried to rebook but it wouldn’t let me b it said I wasn’t eligible for the next window yet even though I should have been able to get one b it was a replacement. Went to guest relations and they gave me an anytime return for Test track.

total disaster. Got up at 6:45, didn’t get ILL got to ride 2 rides while waiting over 2 hours.

2 things ***edit 3 thi***that desperately need to change are:
1) when you get a window to book, you should get 30 seconds and keep that window and if you don’t then it goes back. Thinking we had FOP for 8:50 and getting 5:20 is a joke

2) if you find a different ride or time, it should allow you to “switch” rides instead of cancelling and rebooking so you don’t lose your original ride and get shut out of

3) 7am first booking of genie+ is terrible. Especially if you want to buy ROTR, MMRR AND book SDD. You will never get to it in time. First genie + selection should be night before. Waking up at 6:45am on vacation really ^+#+%+.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
I’m here now and it’s been a disaster for us so far. Went to HS yesterday. Tried to buy ROTR and it was sold out in 30 seconds and got shut out. Got SDD genie+ at 7 am window for 5:40 return time At second return window at 11am for RnR for 7pm return time and that was it for the day. Everything else was sold out. Complete waste of time and money as I thought it would be during the busy times.

today we were doing AK in am and Epcot at night. Paid for FOP and had 8:50am original time and when I hit enter it was 5:20pm that I got. Went to guest relations and they wouldn’t switch the times and would only refund my money. Got safari st 7am genie+ window for 9:40-10:40. So we decided to hit FOP at park open and even though we were resort guests and got in line at 7:40 it was still 145 minutes to ride so we didn’t get to safari until after our window closed b FOP went down 2 x, both after we went into the pre show room. Went to book second genie+ and everything was gone. Everest closed their single rider line b the park was at max capacity so we left.

then booked our second genie+ for test track after refreshing at 11:31 for the drop and got 2-3pm return time. At 1:31 on the next drop, some later times came up so I cancelled and tried to rebook but it wouldn’t let me b it said I wasn’t eligible for the next window yet even though I should have been able to get one b it was a replacement. Went to guest relations and they gave me an anytime return for Test track.

total disaster. Got up at 6:45, didn’t get ILL got to ride 2 rides while waiting over 2 hours.

2 things that desperately need to change are:
1) when you get a window to book, you should get 30 seconds and keep that window and if you don’t then it goes back. Thinking we had FOP for 8:50 and getting 5:20 is a joke

2) if you find a different ride or time, it should allow you to “switch” rides instead of cancelling and rebooking so you don’t lose your original ride and get shut out of
You should seriously complain to GS and demand your money back.

dreday3

2 things that desperately need to change are:

Well, bright side is you were already expecting this!😉 Hope your trip gets better.

Jeff4272

That's fine. Disney just has to know the people are unhappy and that the current system is untenable. And the only way that happens is that people complain and make an issue out of it
It’s really bad. Worse than I thought. Was on my phone all day every day since I’ve been here and waking up that early really is awful.

the non rope droppers get penalized bad in this system too. Kind of a joke

Purduevian

Played the G+ from home game to see what I could have gotten on a sold out day. My rules were I could refresh up to 3 times at each time slot.

@7:49am I got a MFSR for 11:40am
@11am I got a 4:45pm ToT
@11:45 (which should have been about the second touch point at MFSR) I got a 7:30pm TSMM
@1:02PM I got a 7:30PM Alien
@3pm I attempted to get any ride (thought i would get a ST) but after my 3 refreshes nothing came up.

If i was actually in the park I would attempt to refresh more and try to get one, but not going to try that at home. Looking at current lines (i know they fluctuate throughout the day)
MFSR 105 minute wait, ToT 60 minutes, TSMM 85 minutes, and Alien 45 minutes.
So if all those LL were used right now it would skip 295 minutes of line OR $0.05 per minute per person

I wouldn't be thrilled about this, but I still would have bought it and felt it was worth $15

Jrb1979

6. Make it limited to onsite and APs only. That would anger alot of people but then be considered an onsite "perk"
7. Up the ratio of LL to Standby and give out more LL availability. Make it 9 LL for everyone 1 standby guest. If your going to offer a paid system make it worthwhile for those paying for it. Every other park does it with their paid systems. I don't want to hear how Disney should be different cause they aren't.

Jeff4272

Well, bright side is you were already expecting this!😉 Hope your trip gets better.
There is no bright side

So tomorrow we are supposed to do HS in am and hop to MK. We have to have 3 of us up at 6:50am and on the phone ready to book the rides at the exact second of 7:00:01. My 12 year old son is in charge of SDD genie+ 7am selection. I’m in charge of buying ROTR and my wife is in charge of buying SDMT for the afternoon

This is not what I want to be doing every morning of my vacation

this system really blows. It is very stressful to not know what you can get on and it’s a roll of the dice with how fast your fingers snd internet connection is

FP + was so superior. Bring that back in a paid version

drizgirl

7. Up the ratio of LL to Standby and give out more LL availability. Make it 9 LL for everyone 1 standby guest. If your going to offer a paid system make it worthwhile for those paying for it. Every other park does it with their paid systems. I don't want to hear how Disney should be different cause they aren't.
Yeah, never mind that people paid in the neighborhood of $150/day to be there. Why should they actually get to ride anything?

hopemax

What people don't get yet, is they could make it entirely LL lane, no standby at all, and the popular rides would still sell out early on a day like today. Then what do you do?

Purduevian

Why should those who paid to get Genie+ only get a few rides cause availability is gone? If I buy Genie+ I should be able to ride more then 3 rides using it regardless of how busy it is.
G+ people can still ride standby. I think people forget about how bad the DHS tiers were at the end of FP+ The only ride in tier 2 was star tours.

pdude81

Why should those who paid to get Genie+ only get a few rides cause availability is gone? If I buy Genie+ I should be able to ride more then 3 rides using it regardless of how busy it is.
I am surprised anybody would expect more than they got with FP+ for $15. A hot dog and fries costs $15 at WDW

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom