• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Disney Genie, Genie+ officially introduced along with confirmed details of how it will work

spresso81

Hello just to throw in my review of Disney Genie plus. We stayed a WDW from November 1st to 7th. Trip consisted of me, my wife, a 3YO, a 9 month old and two sets of grandparents (one pair never went to WDW before)

Pros:
- Genie Plus shines at the MK. We never waited standby (when it made sense) or Genie Plus for a ride more than 30 minutes and got on all the headlines except for JC. Standby times for many big rides were over 45 minutes so without Genie Plus we would have gotten on a lot less.
- I found the app to be pretty easy to use after a couple of ride reservations.
- HS is the only other park I think Genie Plus makes sense for. However, as many people have stated the lack of attractions really shows up as even by getting on the app around 7, I found myself facing going with an early TT and then getting a new ride time or SDD l;ate in the day and facing poor choices at 11 AM.
- Park hoping/resort relax time - I think if you plan a resort break/lunch the app will be nice so you can stack rides for later in the day.
- We had one rain out day so not having to be locked out of FP + and being able to just show up and do Genie Plus reservations for new park was nice.

Cons:
- Epcot and AK with current ride line-ups are a total waste for Genie Plus. Why pay $15 for maybe one decent LL?
- Technical Problems - While I was ok with the app itself, the background IT info twice on the trip did not recognize that one of my family members had the Genie Plus add on so we had to go to guest services a few times. They could have probably at least offered a free ride to make up for it but we did not push too hard.
- I did not love having to wake up early and fear missing the right booking.
- I preferred having FP + planned in advance rather than being on my phone a bunch. (Despite my last pro above)
- The 7 AM early booking for resort guests is really not a huge advantage and far less than the early booking window provided by FP +. I would say Disney should look to improve this but they do not seem to care very much about hotel guests anymore.

Conclusion - I think for MK and HS (we had a huge group so rope-drop and racing around park made a good strategy hard) Genie Plus is good but not a huge if any improvement over FP +. The paid ILL was nice for the big tickets if you are willing to pay which again is not for everyone (we did for ROR, MMR and FOP = win). Overall, I would do it again for MK and HS and not for AK or Epcot.

wutisgood

I think some of the people may not realize how much of a poor experience Disney world in particular has been for many years now for guests not in the know. These capacity issues are now a huge problem for the people on the boards because they used to be able to outplan most people with the fastpass system. Now day of scheduling with the new system has given a ton of people who sucked at planning or used to pay the same ticket prices for much less the ability to book late and pay additional to get ahead of the more frequent visitors. When you add in they took away the rope drop advantage it gets even more apparent that disney has read the data from frequent guests and systematically worked to decrease the value that group gets from a day in the parks.

Now you would think that people in the past would tell others their vacation wasn't worth the money as they couldn't get on major rides, but I think that people are basically too ashamed to admit they spent so much money to not get a lot of value or often go to disney as a social status thing more than an experience. In any case people can go to universal and not need to lie about the time they had.

Even Sea World seems to be packed AF because from people I have talked to they either can't get in or don't find another day worth it at disney. I don't know if they actually need to do a great job there as they are now cheaper with all day dining than a 1 day at disney. Sea world just needs to not spend 500 million of a single ride.

MagicHappens1971

People aren't going to spend all day eating and shopping, especially since there's very little to shop for these days. It would turn into a bunch of people just sitting around waiting for their next LL time and jamming up all the common areas.
Have to agree on this, while I enjoy eating and shopping around the parks, the limited amount of merchandise is kind of getting annoying. Each room in the Emporium is starting to look identical, I've spent a lot of time in the parks the past few weeks, and they just keep rearranging the shelves to add more of the same product because a) they can't keep anything in stock & b) very little options right now. I know there are global supply chain issues and am not blaming Disney solely, however, it seems that when they want to, they can get certain things in stock. I digress, this isn't really the thread for this and I can go on and on, but this comes from frustration from searching the parks for Winnie the Pooh merch for a family members christmas gift, and there is almost 0 Pooh stuff right now.

matt9112

Or just rope drop Slinky at opening…

The same thing you could do with fp....and with rotr...what one do you rope drop? Your points valid but it's also a misdirection. If you buy a 15 dollar service that advertises skipping lines....you expect to....oh i don't know? Skip lines. Everyones excuse is plan better....rope drop this...take advantage of x....wake up at this time....wait till this time....

It shouldn't be so complex. At the best its no less planning than the old system just instead of doing it months in advance your trying to do it on the same day your trying to enjoy your vacation.

Random notes from this morning:

• Rise made it to 8:40am before selling out, and it seemed to progress very orderly while I was watching it - 7pm, 7:05, 7:10, 7:15, etc. I keep saying this, but maybe more capacity devoted to ILL?
  • I can see the impact of more people using G+ in MK as well - JC was 2:10pm around 8am, and PP was 12:55. Those are much farther out than a month ago when G+ started

Casper Gutman

• Rise made it to 8:40am before selling out, and it seemed to progress very orderly while I was watching it - 7pm, 7:05, 7:10, 7:15, etc. I keep saying this, but maybe more capacity devoted to ILL?
  • I can see the impact of more people using G+ in MK as well - JC was 2:10pm around 8am, and PP was 12:55. Those are much farther out than a month ago when G+ started
Just so I’m crystal clear, this means nobody staying off property has any shot at RotR LL?

Disstevefan1

Looks like we are running into the same issues we had with the boarding groups; either immediately all taken , or the case of DG+ the earliest available return time even when checking early in the morning, is late in the day.

It makes me re think about the Universal express pass. The express pass is very expensive, but there is no fooling with an app, trying to get a return time etc., you just get in the express line of any attraction any time of the day.

Thepuma

Ton
It's one thing if one or two attractions fill up quickly. It's a whole other thing if you're paying for line skipping and all the attractions are gone by early afternoon.

You're assuming everyone feels like you do.
To be fair...me and my wife (pre pandemic) visited Orlando from the UK 3 times a year....we are coming over in 2 weeks times and after that we have decided to go to different places in the world - not because we are bored, but because the magic of Disney is gone - this whole Genie/LL garbage has just took the edge off going to Disney Parks- We used to visit every other day of our 2 week break, used to plan our fast passes 30 days in advance so we could plan our day around them - this $15 genie+ and the paid Lightning Lanes, as well as the loss of many other benefits really has killed it for us.

We will have a blast In a few weeks, but after that it's goodbye Orlando....we enjoyed the ride while it lasted.

We are going to visit themes Parks across the world now and maybe Disney ripping everyone off and taking advantage has done us a favour and will broaden our horizons.

We aren't the only ones...our friends have said the same - and having mentioned the changes at Disney to other people, they are all of the same mindset, its too complicated now and too expensive.

Such a shame. If Disneys aim was to reduce numbers (while making the same profit) then I think by next December they will have their wish.

Jeff4272

Its all about the gamification (on us) with this system. No early return times, they are trying to get people to stay later in the parks in the intention of getting you to spend more money in the parks on merch and food.
Agree.........

In the case of HS, there seems to be no Genie+ available between 11am-5pm.........We will just book SDD at 7am for a later return (if possible) and then at 11am book a second Genie+ for 4pm or later and continue to stack with later times and then we will sleep in and spend the day at the pool and do the park at night.............I think they want you to stay later, assuming you go early........It will actually cut down our park time...........

I dont want to be in HS on thanksgiving week in 60+ minute waits from 11am-5pm with no Genie+ selections

Its all about the gamification (on us) with this system. No early return times, they are trying to get people to stay later in the parks in the intention of getting you to spend more money in the parks on merch and food.
How do I let them know I want to go to another one of their parks in the evening and spend more money on food and merch there instead of HS? Very frustrating experience for people that want to do that. The hoop jumping they have us do is to the point of ridiculousness right now.

jpinkc

Agree.........

In the case of HS, there seems to be no Genie+ available between 11am-5pm.........We will just book SDD at 7am for a later return (if possible) and then at 11am book a second Genie+ for 4pm or later and continue to stack with later times and then we will sleep in and spend the day at the pool and do the park at night.............I think they want you to stay later, assuming you go early........It will actually cut down our park time...........

I dont want to be in HS on thanksgiving week in 60+ minute waits from 11am-5pm with no Genie+ selections
That is my biggest fear when we are there.......

dreday3

Agree.........

In general, if you don't want lines, don't go Thanksgiving week.

So is there any data on if the stand-by lines have now- truly - gotten outrageous? Because late October it was still completely doable to go to parks without purchasing Genie +. Is that not the case anymore?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom