Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yes, but this headline is pretty stupid.

Investment reaches lowest level since 2013? Did we forget the company was in basic hibernation and taking huge loans just to keep things liquid? Of course long term investment is going to be paused or reduced during a once in a lifetime pandemic affecting the entire nation.

This just in... water is wet and if you get thrown in a pool... you'll get wet.
Indeed.

The pandemic is not over.

And let me elaborate... the pandemic is not over.

International travel only just restarted. Labor shortages are continuing. Supply chain has slowed down. Cost of energy (and mostly everything else) is rising.

And many states and countries are heading into another COVID wave.

Last quarter was the first time since the first lock down that Disney had all their parks open for the entirety of the quarter.

The expectation that Disney would immediately commit to pre-pandemic levels of capex is staggeringly naive.

Ayla

Investment reaches lowest level since 2013? Did we forget the company was in basic hibernation and taking huge loans just to keep things liquid? Of course long term investment is going to be paused or reduced during a once in a lifetime pandemic affecting the entire nation.

What's their excuse for 2014-2019?

jpinkc

Indeed.

The pandemic is not over.

And let me elaborate... the pandemic is not over.

International travel only just restarted. Labor shortages are continuing. Supply chain has slowed down. Cost of energy (and mostly everything else) is rising.

And many states and countries are heading into another COVID wave.

Last quarter was the first time since the first lock down that Disney had all their parks open for the entirety of the quarter.

The expectation that Disney would immediately commit to pre-pandemic levels of capex is staggeringly naive.
It is but what is Staggering is the lack of improvements at the Domestic parks!! Almost all other major theme parks seem to get that they need capacity but the method Disney (WDW) uses which is knock down and existing attraction and put in another, but still no POSTIVE gains in capactiy!! (Yes I am still b-hurt about Mr Toad) :p WDW has something any other Theme Park would kill for SPACE!!!! But if its not another Hotel they really are not interested.

Jrb1979

It is but what is Staggering is the lack of improvements at the Domestic parks!! Almost all other major theme parks seem to get that they need capacity but the method Disney (WDW) uses which is knock down and existing attraction and put in another, but still no POSTIVE gains in capactiy!! (Yes I am still b-hurt about Mr Toad) :p WDW has something any other Theme Park would kill for SPACE!!!! But if its not another Hotel they really are not interested.
Unless it's a highly themed attraction they can market the you know what out of it, they aren't interested in adding it. Why not add more flat rides that are themed as much as Dumbo?

wutisgood

At this point if disney is going to bend me over a barrel on entry fees I actually wish they would build some "cheap" rides that ate up capacity and were fun. I don't want to fight people every day I go to the park for a spot on a 500 million dollar star wars ride. I think universal has hit a good balance on this. No one is complaining that veloci coaster isn't all inside of a fake mountain. Even at 150 million it would be a cheap addition compared to disney.

If someone handed me 500 million and told me to pick the park I most trust to invest it well that I would want to go there more disney would be dead last on the list.

Casper Gutman

Chapek was BRAGGING about this.

Last edited:

RoadiJeff

The difference is that USO will give you that Express Pass for free if you stay at their Deluxe resorts which are far less expensive than Disneys Deluxe resorts, which only give you an extra 30 minutes of park in the a.m, and at MK only half the park is open for that 30 min.

But what if you stay at one of USO moderate or value resorts and have to spend the $120+ on Express Pass? It's still a deal because there value and moderate resorts are still less expensive then WDW moderate/value so the cost is well worth it and is comparable to rack rate at a WDW Deluxe moderate

The average person willing to spend the money that Disney wants to "get in on" appreciates a good deal, not paying $750 for a Deluxe resort (and that price includes AP discount) and getting 30 minutes in Tomorrowland at 7 am as a "perk".

But their are plenty of rubes out there too. I think Disney knows this and will gladly take their one-time earnings from that family who won't visit again for 10 years, if ever.
I only paid $70/night at a Comfort Inn that was within a few miles of Universal. That, plus no upcharge for parking and a free hot breakfast buffet each day doesn't come close to what I would have paid at a Universal resort just to get a free Express Pass. Also, I read that Universal charges $15/day if you want a microwave in your room (!), at least that's what they charge at Hard Rock. I'm not sure if their moderate resorts include a microwave with the cost of the room or not.

Also, there were no openings at any of the Universal resorts for the 7 days I was there in October when I checked about a week prior to my trip. I didn't feel like hopping from one hotel to another, even if there were rooms available at different places.

Last edited:
I happened to be up around 7am EST today. I first checked SDD and RotR at 7:04am. SDD showed no G+ availability, and RotR showed no ILL availability. I refreshed for the next 5-10 mins, and both showed no availability most of the time. I think SDD showed one or two different times, and same with RotR.

I haven't tried at 7am on the dot yet, but it seems like the majority of availability for these 2 rides is gone in a flash, much more like the virtual queue lottery than something the customer is actually paying for. Yesterday was supposed to be a crowd level 7 and turned out to be a 3. Today is supposed to be a 6 and will likely end up a 2-3.

As mentioned in previous posts, I believe what we're seeing is a combination of more people becoming aware that G+/ILL exists, and that word is spreading online in the WDW-sphere that you have to get these 2 rides at exactly 7am.

We haven't bothered with HS since before Toy Story Land and GE, so my plan was to spend 2 mornings in HS to be able to ride SDD, RotR and MFSR - ideally each twice with little or no wait (utilizing G+/ILL). I hoped paying for these "features" would allow me not to stress out the morning of...I guess it's the total opposite. I have to hope to get lucky with the return time lottery at 7am or stare at my phone constantly to refresh and luck into a morning timeslot due to another party canceling, or stay all day and use early entry rope drop and jumping in line at park closing.

Muffinpants

I happened to be up around 7am EST today. I first checked SDD and RotR at 7:04am. SDD showed no G+ availability, and RotR showed no ILL availability. I refreshed for the next 5-10 mins, and both showed no availability most of the time. I think SDD showed one or two different times, and same with RotR.

I haven't tried at 7am on the dot yet, but it seems like the majority of availability for these 2 rides is gone in a flash, much more like the virtual queue lottery than something the customer is actually paying for. Yesterday was supposed to be a crowd level 7 and turned out to be a 3. Today is supposed to be a 6 and will likely end up a 2-3.

As mentioned in previous posts, I believe what we're seeing is a combination of more people becoming aware that G+/ILL exists, and that word is spreading online in the WDW-sphere that you have to get these 2 rides at exactly 7am.

We haven't bothered with HS since before Toy Story Land and GE, so my plan was to spend 2 mornings in HS to be able to ride SDD, RotR and MFSR - ideally each twice with little or no wait (utilizing G+/ILL). I hoped paying for these "features" would allow me not to stress out the morning of...I guess it's the total opposite. I have to hope to get lucky with the return time lottery at 7am or stare at my phone constantly to refresh and luck into a morning timeslot due to another party canceling, or stay all day and use early entry rope drop and jumping in line at park closing.
yea we went from being up at 7am for a chance to get a boarding group that are gone in 10 seconds.. to paying to get up at 7am to try and get a spot that are gone in 10 seconds...

Ayla

A question that is probably answered somewhere within this thread, but I'm not looking through 450 pages to find it ~ when you are doing ILL, do you pay first and then look for availability or do you find availability and then pay?

I ask in reference to the post above me regarding RoTR. If I pay for ILL first, but then there is zero availability and I can't actually book anything, I'm going to be a very unhappy customer.

dreday3

A question that is probably answered somewhere within this thread, but I'm not looking through 450 pages to find it ~ when you are doing ILL, do you pay first and then look for availability or do you find availability and then pay?

I ask in reference to the post above me regarding RoTR. If I pay for ILL first, but then there is zero availability and I can't actually book anything, I'm going to be a very unhappy customer.

Find then pay.

pdude81

yea we went from being up at 7am for a chance to get a boarding group that are gone in 10 seconds.. to paying to get up at 7am to try and get a spot that are gone in 10 seconds...
This is a fair criticism, but at least now you can wait in line if you choose to.

arich35

It is crazy to me that SDD can be out of the all LL passes within 4 min of becoming available, maybe they should switch and make that paid instead of Mickey & Minnie

DisneyCane

It is crazy to me that SDD can be out of the all LL passes within 4 min of becoming available, maybe they should switch and make that paid instead of Mickey & Minnie
Especially since it is a better ride IMO even though it isn't as advanced and doesn't a have any effects, AAs or scenery.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom