Disney Genie, Genie+ officially introduced along with confirmed details of how it will work

Chip Chipperson

Yea but this just seems odd for a straight up genie perk. Make the tickets even more discounted but like.. idk just leaves a bad taste i guess. since even AP or DVC dont get any kinda discount.

Exactly. If the complaint about Passholders is that they don't spend enough, then how about incentivizing additional spending by offering a discount on Genie+ since they opted not to include it with the APs themselves? Within a year, it should be very easy to add a discount for it and figure out how many Passholders purchased it at the discounted rate vs. how many purchased it when they were charged full price - and they really should have been able to conduct market research ahead of time in order to have a discount available when it launched. For how much they raised AP prices while also eliminating the inclusion of PhotoPass, including Genie+ in the AP would have been a good way to soften the blow a bit (even if they just did it for higher tiers). Even a discount would likely get more Passholders to purchase the service more often. when you consider that Passholders spend more days in the parks than the average guests each year, there's really no need for many of them to purchase Genie+ each day - but make it cheaper for them and more will pay for it more often.

dreday3

Ah, remember the good old days where you would....you know, just show up and not have to worry about any of this madness. Talk about complicating trip planning even more.

In all honestly, pre-planning fast passes 60 days before we arrived was more "complicated" to me. Not that I minded it, but a lot more thinking involved...

Genie + is more of a matter of deciding if you want it that day and being annoyed at paying for it. Once you make the decision to buy, I didn't find it complicated. Pretty straightforward in fact. Now you may not like the times presented to you ;), but the process of choosing the time wasn't hard for us.

Lirael

In all honestly, pre-planning fast passes 60 days before we arrived was more "complicated" to me. Not that I minded it, but a lot more thinking involved...

Genie + is more of a matter of deciding if you want it that day and being annoyed at paying for it. Once you make the decision to buy, I didn't find it complicated. Pretty straightforward in fact. Now you may not like the times presented to you ;), but the process of choosing the time wasn't hard for us.
It might not be harder, but let's see how happy people are when you go on an actually crowded day and you pay upfront and find you can't pick the rides you want at all ;)

Waters Back Side

It might not be harder, but let's see how happy people are when you go on an actually crowded day and you pay upfront and find you can't pick the rides you want at all ;)

One consideration I have which is actually a positive is that I am going to Epcot 2 full days and HS a full day and a half day. I could drop reservations for Epcot and add it for HS and vice versa the night before with no booked FP's 60 days out that ill lose out on. Assuming they have the park capacity but I have not seen a situation yet where they did not. And then buy Genie + for that day.

Last edited:

WildRide

What's the consensus on buying Genie+? Seems like it's a better value at MK and HS than the rest of the parks based on how busy those parks are typically.

Touchdown

I don’t think you need it, so long as you do EE.

At MK do SDMT, then PPF, Frontier Mtns, PotC and HM in the first 2.5 hours. Midday, wait 30 min for Space.

At AK do FoP, then NRJ, Safari, Kali, Dino in the first 2.5 hours. Wait <20 min for EE midday.

At DHS do SDD, then TSMM, ToT, RRnRC in the first 2.5 hours. Wait 30-60 min for Mickey and Rise midday. Even better go at night, the place is dead with <30 min waits after 5 most nights.

Last edited:

jpinkc

I think it all depends on how busy the park is. I still am concerned the week of Thanksgiving with expected crowd levels this thing is gonna melt down. Mobile order or Genie, maybe both. I really am concerned how this whole thing will impact those of us going in that week as that will be the first major strain on the whole system.

bruin086

I would probably buy genie+ in advance of my stay for every day if there was a discounted price. If there's no discount, I will definitely not buy in advance and I'll just decide each day whether I need it or not. Will prob buy for MK and HS but not AK or EP

nickys

Premium Member
Anyone know how family rider swap works for LL and ILL?
Everyone who is riding needs an ILL or LL pass. Then it works as before, with the recent change that only one person gets to re-ride. CM will scan bands of 2nd ride group who wait whilst 1st ride group go through.

So if Mom, Dad and DD(7) are riding, then Dad can ride with DD and then Mom can ride with DD.

But if Mom, Dad, DD(7) and DS(9) are riding then only one child can ride twice.

Jrb1979

I don’t think you need it, so long as you do EE.

At MK do SDMT, then PPF, Frontier Mtns, PotC and HM in the first 2.5 hours. Midday, wait 30 min for Space.

At AK do FoP, then NRJ, Safari, Kali, Dino in the first 2.5 hours. Wait <20 min for EE midday.

At DHS do SDD, then TSMM, ToT, RRnRC in the first 2.5 hours. Wait 30-60 min for Mickey and Rise midday. Even better go at night, the place is dead with <30 min waits after 5 most nights.
30 minutes is too long a wait for me. I'm surprised so many are ok with such long waits.

DisneyCane

After being at Epcot and AK the last two days with somewhat light crowds, I'd say the only standby line that Genie+ and ILL has completely messed up is Frozen.

The other standby lines weren't terrible and kept moving for the most part.

It did make me a little upset at Disney for the cash grab when at the point in the FoP queue where you can see the people coming from the LL and just counting $11 in my head for each person that passed through. It adds up quick.

With all that revenue, at least the water effect should work properly for every seat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom