Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Touchdown

Then there's no reason for the inflated waits we've been seeing reported.
I can think of 4 really good reasons:
1. Push Genie+ sales
2. Have people avoid rides and go to a shop instead
3. Slow down DAS users so they don’t “steal too much” LL spots from Genie+
4. People who do get in line are thrilled when it’s shorter

Last edited:

peter11435

I can think of 4 really good reasons:
1. Push Genie+ sales
2. Have people avoid rides and go to a shop instead
3. Slow down DAS users so they don’t “steal too much” LL spots from Genie+
4. Iced inflate and people are thrilled when it’s shorter
None of those are actually why wait times are inflated. And there is absolutely zero desire/directive from the top to inflate wait times to encourage sales.

lazyboy97o

Then there's no reason for the inflated waits we've been seeing reported.
Queues are still spilling out into walkways even when they’re not very long. I haven’t really looked into why too much. I’m not sure if parts of queues are still being left unused as lip service to social distancing or if that much space was lost over the years as capacity was dedicated to FastPass+.

While inflated Stand-By times seem like a desirable situation to push sales of Genie+ and Individual Light Lane, it’s a dangerous game. You’ll anger people if the find out there is little benefit to their purchase. They don’t want “Skip Genie+ because posted wait times are way higher than the real wait” to become the hot new tip.

Muffinpants

None of those are actually why wait times are inflated. And there is absolutely zero desire/directive from the top to inflate wait times to encourage sales.
why would you think this? they can amke so much more money with LL. Why make it seem like its not worth it? even if there goal is to jsut add 5-10min to the time.. its enough to sway a guest sometimes.

G00fyDad

Depends on your point of view.
From mine (and I dare say most others) they are not good reasons. I guess if you're looking to put a little more coin in your pocket and you own enough of Disney shares for this to even matter to you then I guess to you it is a good reason being as it's a greedy reason.

cslafferty

Again you arent seeing a BUSY park day. Until we start seeing 8,9,10 crowd levels its a bit of a joke to test this. Yes it needs to be done and Thank God they didnt start it during the Holiday rushes, but until its going under those loads, which in Summer it will be for days, thats when we will see at least to me if its worth it or not. I am still scared to death this Genie+ nonsense is going to implode the first time we get to a High Crowd day, and I dont want to ruin my wife's birthday with it over Thanksgiving.
Yes, I am very curious to see what will happen on a 8, 9, or 10 day when people pay for Genie+, get 1-2 rides in, and then find out LLs are all gone for all the other popular attractions. I remember those paper FP days, getting to the kiosks to find out FPs were all gone by 10am! I think we will find that Genie+ will only work well on a 6 or 7 day - low crowds you don’t need it, high crowds it’s not worth it.

Touchdown

From mine (and I dare say most others) they are not good reasons. I guess if you're looking to put a little more coin in your pocket and you own enough of Disney shares for this to even matter to you then I guess to you it is a good reason being as it's a greedy reason.
What exactly has the new CEO done that suggests he cares at all about theme park guests experiences?

Jrb1979

Again you arent seeing a BUSY park day. Until we start seeing 8,9,10 crowd levels its a bit of a joke to test this. Yes it needs to be done and Thank God they didnt start it during the Holiday rushes, but until its going under those loads, which in Summer it will be for days, thats when we will see at least to me if its worth it or not. I am still scared to death this Genie+ nonsense is going to implode the first time we get to a High Crowd day, and I dont want to ruin my wife's birthday with it over Thanksgiving.
Yes, I am very curious to see what will happen on a 8, 9, or 10 day when people pay for Genie+, get 1-2 rides in, and then find out LLs are all gone for all the other popular attractions. I remember those paper FP days, getting to the kiosks to find out FPs were all gone by 10am! I think we will find that Genie+ will only work well on a 6 or 7 day - low crowds you don’t need it, high crowds it’s not worth it.
I partially disagree with it not being worth it in high crowd days. If you judge it by the people who post here 2 to rides a day makes Genie- worth it. Take DHS, if you get SDD and MMRR with Genie+ it's worth it.

IMO people need stop looking at Genie+ as FP+. To be happy with 3 rides for $15 is why Disney loves you. It's easy to satisfy you. If I'm paying $15 I want 6 to 8 rides at minimum.

G00fyDad

What exactly has the new CEO done that suggests he cares at all about theme park guests experiences?
But none of us here are the CEO. My point is that none of those were good reasons for anyone here. Of course Disney's top salesman is going to do everything he can to milk the average guest for every single nickel-and-dime that they have.

G00fyDad

I don't care cause I am going to buy Genie+ regardless. Saving 20 to 30 mins on a ride is worth $15.
The only reason I'm buying Genie plus this next time and paying for some ILLs it's because this is my last Disney trip. If I had any desire to go to Disney pass this next trip then I wouldn't bother with it. Seeing if this is my last trip coming up next year then I want to be able to ride certain things at least one more time. It irritates me to absolutely no end that I'm having to pay for this stuff but at this point it is what it is.

Jrb1979

The only reason I'm buying Genie plus this next time and paying for some ILLs it's because this is my last Disney trip. If I had any desire to go to Disney pass this next trip then I wouldn't bother with it. Seeing if this is my last trip coming up next year then I want to be able to ride certain things at least one more time. It irritates me to absolutely no end that I'm having to pay for this stuff but at this point it is what it is.
I understand that. My question is when I see people complain about paying for a skip the line system, do any of you ever go visit other parks or buy it other parks?

peter11435

FTFY

It’s not the only reason, but don’t act like Disney doesn’t knows this choice does that.
Don’t edit my posts. It’s rude.

What I said was correct the first time.

Of course they know they could. They also know that the negatives of doing so far outweigh the positives. Encouraging LL sales is not even remotely one of the reasons why wait times are often inflated. In fact, executive leadership, the very leadership you think would inflate to improve sales, is the group most against inflated wait times.

G00fyDad

I understand that. My question is when I see people complain about paying for a skip the line system, do any of you ever go visit other parks or buy it other parks?
I don't. But I also don't go to a whole lot of other parks. Primarily Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom (incredibly lame park but it's only 15 minutes from my house across the river in Kentucky.) and occasionally Kings Island in Ohio. I'm not even sure there's a line skip option it either of those two parks. I don't go to Universal Orlando because it's just not ever been worth it to me.

pdude81

So with reports of actual wait times being shorter than posted wait times, do we know if red cards are being used again? If they are, that’s good, and the discrepancy between actual and posted wait time just needs some tweaking. If not, well, then the somewhat-obvious conclusion that many will draw is wait times are being manipulated, intentionally or not, and consumers are thus being “encouraged” to purchase an ILL. I’m honestly trying to give some benefit of the doubt here, but that is becoming more and more difficult to do with each money-making effort that Di$ney unveils.
Red cards used at DCA yesterday. Not wdw but genie will be here soon

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom