• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Disney Genie, Genie+ officially introduced along with confirmed details of how it will work

RoadiJeff

Yes but if you had 5 it would be $170 x 5 = $850 and then $850 x 2 = $1,700 value because Express pass is good for check in and check out day.

so you pay $419 for over $1,700 of value
I was at Universal for 2 days, with a 3 day gap in between. The $170 Express Pass cost was for a Sunday, the Thursday pass was $150. There was just one of me so I don't know where the "x 2" part comes from.

RoadiJeff

It is good the entire day, not just after check-in. You can show up first thing in the morning on your check-in day and get the Express Pass. They also work after you’ve checked out on your check-out day.
It sounds like a nice plan except my plane didn't even land in Orlando until 3:00pm that day. By the time I got my rental car and made it to the hotel it was after 5:00pm.

drizgirl

The comparison between Universal and WDW is largely beside the point. Yes, Universal's pass sounds like a fabulous deal, and certainly better value for the consumer than Disney's new system. But it's only attractive as a meaningful alternative if you actually want to experience Universal. Not all of us do.
A wise friend of mine described it this way. She loves Disney more. But lately she has more fun at Universal.

Wendy Pleakley

It seems to me that it's unrealistic to expect Disney to keep adding capacity until everyone who wants to go to WDW can comfortably fit in there. They'll settle on the capacity they want and the overflow will go to competitors like Universal. Complaining about specific experiences at WDW is one thing, but "add capacity" is a bottomless pit.

I don’t think they’re even “at capacity”.

They still have an annual pass program. Something that is used to fill in the “empty space”.

The day they have to turn away full price ticket holders is the day they need to add capacity.

We might feel Disney parks are too crowded and need more capacity, but I feel the company disagrees.

RoadiJeff

You can check in as early as 6 AM. We checked in at 6:30 and made early entry rope drop.
Assuming you arrive there that early. As I said, I did not get to my hotel until around 5:00pm the day I arrived in Orlando.

Also, I previously did not include Hard Rock's $28/day parking fee, their $15/day microwave rental (??? - every hotel I've ever stayed at it was included in the room price, along with a mini fridge), and a 12% daily tax based on the room. So, for $70 per day at a Comfort Inn and $170 for an Express Pass I paid $240 plus whatever cost of ticket admission regardless of where I stayed vs close to $525 per day at Hard Rock when all their nickel and dime add-ons were figured in. For me, it was an easy choice.

lazyboy97o

I don’t think they’re even “at capacity”.

They still have an annual pass program. Something that is used to fill in the “empty space”.

The day they have to turn away full price ticket holders is the day they need to add capacity.

We might feel Disney parks are too crowded and need more capacity, but I feel the company disagrees.
If Disney disagreed they wouldn’t have panicked and rushed to add TRON and Ratatouille.

Patcheslee

c) it’s safer if I lose the Caxton card than if I lose a gift card. Once reported lost, no one could use the Caxton card b/c it’d be cancelled. Never having used a gift card I don’t know how you put a stop on it.
The only way I know to prevent use if lost for Disney GC specifically, is to carry an empty card as well and have both registered on the Disney GC site. If you lose one, log on and transfer the balance to the empty card.

Clamman73

Tried lighting lane yesterday. Let’s go back to fastpass way of doing it. The way within the app to pick it is a little convoluted to start out with…then there were multiple times when I clicked on the time period it showed that there was one and by the time I hit it, it changed to some later time.

peter11435

Tried lighting lane yesterday. Let’s go back to fastpass way of doing it. The way within the app to pick it is a little convoluted to start out with…then there were multiple times when I clicked on the time period it showed that there was one and by the time I hit it, it changed to some later time.
Fastpass plus times would change or disappear if you weren’t fast enough too.

I’m not sure what’s convoluted about the tipboard screen. There’s a lot of changes to the app that are a mess right now but the tipboard screen itself is pretty straightforward.

dreday3

Fastpass plus times would change or disappear if you weren’t fast enough too.

I’m not sure what’s convoluted about the tipboard screen. There’s a lot of changes to the app that are a mess right now but the tipboard screen itself is pretty straightforward.

Agree. We figured it out the first morning (the Tip Board) and that's saying a lot for me. ;)

I can say we never experienced issues with the app the entire 9 days we were there, but I realize others may have.

dreday3

I am trying out this Genie+ thing today. I feel kind of stupid for spending the money on it…

I have to tell you....there is something about paying each morning we chose to use it that made me annoyed. Like I kept being reminded I have to pay for it.

I think, for no real reason at all, once people just start adding it on to their total cost for upcoming trips like park hoppers when booking a package, people will start to "forget" about the cost...

Maybe down the line they will start to add it as an incentive instead of resort discounts - free if you stay at such and such resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom