• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Disney Genie, Genie+ officially introduced along with confirmed details of how it will work

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Yes, yes, and yes. As far as I understand it.

Every tap into a LL resets the clock and you can grab a new LL. And if you already have one, then you have two.

But, in the end, that doesn't give you an advantage compared to someone with one LL that they use first thing in the morning. That person can theoretically grab a new LL for their next ride that's scheduled in the next 10 minutes. And then when the tap into that ride, schedule another LL to happen in the next 10 minutes and so on.

Having an extra LL can't make that go faster. You still have to spend time on the attraction and get to the next tapstile to reset the clock and get a new LL whether you have another LL (or more) banked.

And the person who started that process with just one LL at a time first thing in the morning will always be ahead (presuming LLs are immediately available all day long).

The advantage of grabbing a later-day LL and winding up with stacked LLs is either you're going to the park later, or, your grabbing a LL that will run out later in the day.
So it’s best to try and get a LL as early as possible (before 11) so you could book another one correct?

Waters Back Side

So it’s best to try and get a LL as early as possible (before 11) so you could book another one correct?

Whether you pick your first LL at 7am or 8am or even 9am you still have to wait until 11 for your next one unless you redeem it before that time. If your first ride is at 9 when the park opens and you redeem it 9:05 then you can get a 2nd one sooner. Obviously the earlier you choose your first LL the better available time and the more chance of availability overall is the main reason.

Last edited:
If you mean get a return time as early as possible so you can book another one, then yes, you are correct. If you're trying to use G+ on as many rides as possible (and you don't care so much about which rides, or the rides you prefer are not that popular on G+), the best strategy is to get a return time in the 9am hour for your first one, and then just keep booking ones that are available soonest until you can't anymore.

Lirael

Reading about the 7am thing here really bothers me. Supposedly I can't plan my fast lines days out to help the experience of those that don't like to plan every detail ahead, but just come in the park and see what's happening... but those people aren't going to know (or want) that they need to wake up on their relaxing vacation day at a ridiculously early time just to snag a LL, are they?

So the pre planners get shafted, the "arrive and see what's up" crowd also gets shafted.

Chi84

Premium Member
We tried Genie+ for a week and - besides having to pay for it - it didn't work as well for us as the old FP+ system. There were a few glitches. I wanted to schedule the Safari ride in AK for a time that worked for us - 10:30 to 11:30. So I went through the process of booking it and got a confirmation for 9:10 to 10:10. I canceled it, waited a few minutes and finally got what we wanted. The same thing happened with another ride in another park.

Because of the way the system is set up now, we did standby for EE and MMRR. The wait for EE wasn't bad, but with the old system we wouldn't have had to wait (or pay) at all. MMRR was a disaster, with a 95 minute standby wait. At the time we entered the line, the wait posted by Touringplans was 35 minutes and Disney had the wait at 55 minutes. There were no announcements that anything was wrong with the ride, and the CM we asked while we were in line said she didn't ordinarily work that ride and had no idea what may have happened. Anyway, we got to try out the grace period on ToT, and they let us in almost 15 minutes past our window.

We're not concerned about getting on a lot of rides, so the new system will probably work better for those who want to ride as many as possible. There were two fairly recent improvements at WDW that did work well and saved us a good deal of time - mobile ordering and the Skyliner. The push toward mobile ordering made it much easier to find a table at counter service locations, and the Skyliner was quick and efficient.

po1998

Going to be in Orlando for two months this winter. Was planning on going to the parks 4 or 5 times during this period, but between the price increases and this Genie nonsense, I’m considering just skipping the parks. It shouldn’t be this difficult. I don’t want to be planning on my phone all day, and I also don’t want to stare at massive standby lines.
What a mess they have made…an expensive one at that.

lazyboy97o

Reading about the 7am thing here really bothers me. Supposedly I can't plan my fast lines days out to help the experience of those that don't like to plan every detail ahead, but just come in the park and see what's happening... but those people aren't going to know (or want) that they need to wake up on their relaxing vacation day at a ridiculously early time just to snag a LL, are they?

So the pre planners get shafted, the "arrive and see what's up" crowd also gets shafted.
Of course adequate capacity would work well for everyone as there wouldn’t be so much volatility.

"El Magnifico"

Premium Member
Going to be in Orlando for two months this winter. Was planning on going to the parks 4 or 5 times during this period, but between the price increases and this Genie nonsense, I’m considering just skipping the parks. It shouldn’t be this difficult. I don’t want to be planning on my phone all day, and I also don’t want to stare at massive standby lines.

A lot of things you can do without the aggravation and for very minimal to no cost

Resort Hop and see all the decorations. Get an ADR at a resort. Go to Springs. Catch the water parade. View the fireworks from Poly or Dahlia. Breakfast or a cup of coffee and sit out at one of the public areas at AKL and overlook the savannah.

Chi84

Premium Member
It seems to me that it's unrealistic to expect Disney to keep adding capacity until everyone who wants to go to WDW can comfortably fit in there. They'll settle on the capacity they want and the overflow will go to competitors like Universal. Complaining about specific experiences at WDW is one thing, but "add capacity" is a bottomless pit.

Chi84

Premium Member
A lot of things you can do without the aggravation and for very minimal to no cost

Resort Hop and see all the decorations. Get an ADR at a resort. Go to Springs. Catch the water parade. View the fireworks from Poly or Dahlia. Breakfast or a cup of coffee and sit out at one of the public areas at AKL and overlook the savannah.
You just described what we love best about WDW. I would add take a boat ride from Disney Springs to Port Orleans for the boozy beignets and entertainment.

"El Magnifico"

Premium Member
You just described what we love best about WDW. I would add take a boat ride from Disney Springs to Port Orleans for the boozy beignets and entertainment.

I’ve always selfishly wished POFQ/R would someday have a tie in with a Brennan’s or an ACME. (Pat O’s off the table due to Uni). A breakfast at Brennan’s or some other more authentic experience would be great.

Imagine a Cafe du Monde right on the Sassagoula watching the boats come to and fro.

po1998

I understand and am aware of all those things. I am talking specifically about visiting the parks a few times while down there

lazyboy97o

It seems to me that it's unrealistic to expect Disney to keep adding capacity until everyone who wants to go to WDW can comfortably fit in there. They'll settle on the capacity they want and the overflow will go to competitors like Universal. Complaining about specific experiences at WDW is one thing, but "add capacity" is a bottomless pit.
Adequate capacity is a known metric. Disney tried to squeeze it and it back fired resulting in billions of dollars having to be spent to try and stall.

dreday3

We found that with every park, if you go in the late afternoon then stay until close - we didn't need Genie +. You just have to be willing to wait in 40 minute or so lines for the "big" rides. Totally doable.

Just our experience, we did use Genie + once for each park. I did not find myself staring at my phone endlessly. We booked a ride, tapped in, booked another ride that was available next, etc., - no staring at phone needed.

dreday3

To quote a family tourist friend…

“I’ve booked Yacht Club next year. Prices have gone up and now I’ve got to pay for fast pass as well”

Shes considering cancelling and will tell them in no uncertain terms why.

Resort prices are the worst thing about these trips for us.

I can't even begin to explain to someone how any of the deluxe hotels rooms are charging $600 plus a night for a standard view or any view actually.

I can't figure out where Disney is going with these prices...

Chi84

Premium Member
Resort prices are the worst thing about these trips for us. I can't even begin to explain to someone how any of the deluxe hotels rooms are charging $600 plus a night for a standard view.
I remember my husband calling me from the DVC store in Woodfield Mall in 2008 and my yelling "Get out of there; it's a timeshare!" (He didn't listen, as usual.) Best decision we ever made. We have a 2 BR and a studio at SSR for a week this April for 6 adults and 3 kids under 3, which is more than enough room. There's no way we would have done this on cash.

RoadiJeff

You should have booked one night in hard rock and you would have got free express pass for the 2 days (day you checking and day you check out for probably $400 total, lowering your cost to $200 instead of $300 and getting another day in the park...............you save a TON of money if its your family of 5 staying in the hotel
I just checked the prices at Hard Rock. The lowest they have for the middle of the week (usually cheapest rates) is $419/night. I paid $70/night at a Comfort Inn less than 2.5 miles away. That's a difference of $349. Even adding in the $170 cost that I paid for an Express Pass, that would still be $179 higher per night to stay at the Hard Rock.

Plus, I'm pretty sure the included Express Passes are only good for the number of days a family is staying there. I was a family of one on my most recent trip.

Notes from Neverland

To quote a family tourist friend…

“I’ve booked Yacht Club next year. Prices have gone up and now I’ve got to pay for fast pass as well”

Shes considering cancelling and will tell them in no uncertain terms why.
The resort prices are absolutely insane. Especially for the deluxe category. The new norm appears to be $600 for standard and up from there. Discounts are almost a forbidden word now.

po1998

We found that with every park, if you go in the late afternoon then stay until close - we didn't need Genie +. You just have to be willing to wait in 40 minute or so lines for the "big" rides. Totally doable.

Just our experience, we did use Genie + once for each park. I did not find myself staring at my phone endlessly. We booked a ride, tapped in, booked another ride that was available next, etc., - no staring at phone needed.
Thanks, but the afternoon thing won’t be an option since we will be going for 4 to 5 random days over two months. It sounds like we will just add in Genie+….if we decide to go at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom