• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Disney Genie, Genie+ officially introduced along with confirmed details of how it will work

Jrb1979

and not being SURE months ahead, that you will absolutely be getting at least one ride on all the 'BIG/NEW' rides. At the 60 day mark, if I didn't get one ride on everything that mattered, I could cancel my whole trip. (and I also, made sure we got at least 2x the rides that mattered- Disney's fault, they got us used to/trained to expect a full plan 60 days before a trip). Now I have no idea, if I choose to pay $15 per family member, if there will be a genie fp, or whatever for the ride that matters. It's chaos. If I go to Uni. I stay at a deluxe, I get fastpasses/whatever they call it. no planning, just stroll into the rides I like, when I coSO much more relaxing, it is insane.
You can pay for the big/new ride seperately and you are guaranteed to ride it.

Wendy Pleakley

I go a lot less. About 12% or so as much as I used to. And I haven’t stayed at a WDW resort in decades. Why do posters always assume the curmudgeons haven’t dramatically changed their behavior?

There's some validity to both perspectives.

Earlier at least one person said they'd pay for Genie+ but cut the equivalent elsewhere so "Bob doesn't win". I mean, if you pay for Genie+ but buy two fewer churros per day, Disney is getting the same revenue (or more once inflation of prices is taken into account). By all means, do what you have to do to make a trip work for your budget, but nothing will change as long as people keep going.

While I completely agree it's reasonable to criticize aspects of Disney but still go due to what value is still provided, it just feels like most people are really really unwilling to put their money where their mouth is when it comes to displeasure with Disney.

Casper Gutman

There's some validity to both perspectives.

Earlier at least one person said they'd pay for Genie+ but cut the equivalent elsewhere so "Bob doesn't win". I mean, if you pay for Genie+ but buy two fewer churros per day, Disney is getting the same revenue (or more once inflation of prices is taken into account). By all means, do what you have to do to make a trip work for your budget, but nothing will change as long as people keep going.

While I completely agree it's reasonable to criticize aspects of Disney but still go due to what value is still provided, it just feels like most people are really really unwilling to put their money where their mouth is when it comes to displeasure with Disney.
Most of those people left the board. Or they never came here. Most who have a bad experience simply leave WDW out of their future plans. It takes a special attachment to Disney World to both believe it has declined precipitously but still care about it enough to follow it, visit occasionally, and post here. I’ve said that Disney matters a great deal to me on an emotional, personal level, but it also matters to me on an intellectual level. I think it is a tremendously, uniquely, fascinatingly important institution in the cultural history of America and, less specifically, in the world at large. That combination of intellectual and emotional attachment is odd - to most folks it’s just a vacation destination - but on these specific boards, I don’t think it’s uncommon. That’s why they’re worth reading.

Hawg G

When I'm at WDW sweating in the 98 degree weather, feet hurting, and then I crash at 10pm, I often think o their poolabout how some people are able to use their resort pool in the middle of the day and then come back after. Actually taking in the forest for the trees. I've yet to do it, but it always sounds like a nice way to experience the parks.

You mean walking a half mile to a resort bus in the heat, standing, waiting for the bus, riding the bus, then walking to their room, changing clothes, walking to their fairly boring pool to bake in the sun. THEN do it all in reverse?

How relaxing.

Patcheslee

You mean walking a half mile to a resort bus in the heat, standing, waiting for the bus, riding the bus, then walking to their room, changing clothes, walking to their fairly boring pool to bake in the sun. THEN do it all in reverse?

How relaxing.
Or walk to car, drive, to resort, change for the pool, grab a book and go to pool while kid swims, then reverse. It's not as horrendous as it seems to the people that choose to do it. Much more relaxing than a melt down from being in the park without a break.

LSLS

That all sounds great. DL, Tokyo, and Dollywood remain great parks.

You know, Universal is opening a third park…
Every time I think of universal, I look at their ticket prices and am immediately turned off. To be honest, we have cut our WDW trips from. 3-4 a year to 1 every couple years (and falling). First time since high school we bought cedar point passes, and honestly found it a lot more fun than any Disney trip we have done in the past 5 years.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I didn't miss the point at all; my closing remark was a retort to it. One man's meat is another man's poison, as they say, even if some here expect everyone to agree with them.
“Thank you mother, may I have another?” Isn’t a great attempt at adulting…that doesn’t mean everyone has to agree at all times. I’m not advocating that. Some semblance of pause and attempts at objectivity shouldn’t be scoffed or patronized.

fgmnt

Every time I think of universal, I look at their ticket prices and am immediately turned off. To be honest, we have cut our WDW trips from. 3-4 a year to 1 every couple years (and falling). First time since high school we bought cedar point passes, and honestly found it a lot more fun than any Disney trip we have done in the past 5 years.
If you have a family that fits the certain age group (12-18) I can't recommend doing a summer trip to Cedar Point enough, at least once. Completely different change of pace from the swamp in every way. They manage to make the food worse but that and the obvious fundamental difference in the institution of themed entertainment between the two. Stay in the Breakers if you can swing it.

Patcheslee

If you have a family that fits the certain age group (12-18) I can't recommend doing a summer trip to Cedar Point enough, at least once. Completely different change of pace from the swamp in every way. They manage to make the food worse but that and the obvious fundamental difference in the institution of themed entertainment between the two. Stay in the Breakers if you can swing it.
Are they doing better staffing wise now? Last year was a disaster

Jrb1979

Disagree on the food aspect. If all you do is quick service then yeah it is a bit of a let down. The table service has always been good.

mightynine

It does have be an either of proposition. If you hate what it's become why continue to support it? My guess is you're addicted to the pixie dust and can't stay away.
What the parks offer in terms of attractions and experiences is still fun for me, along with the time it gives me with the people I’m with when I go. The last couple of years that’s been with my mother, since she fell in love with the place after it opened, but would never go by herself.

The company’s decisions of rising prices, nickel and dimeing, and adding layer upon layer not to benefit you as a customer but their bottom line is making it harder and harder each year though.

I have one visit planned for the week after Thanksgiving that will now be a solo trip - my first ever - and then my girlfriend and I are looking at possibly going for Flower and Garden next year as a final use of our annuals and then I don’t see myself going again anytime soon.

LittleMerman

Am I the only one excited to use Genie+? Initially I was annoyed that "FastPasses" would cost money AND there would be additional a la carte prices. However, after understanding how it works more (it's not as complicated as it first seemed), I'm excited to try it. Other than the cost, it seems like a major upgrade from FP+. Something I didn't love about going to WDW was having to plan so much in advance to maximize your trip. Now, we no longer have to pick our rides in too far ahead - we can be more spontaneous with our selections which gives us more flexibility and leisure. And we are guaranteed a turn on the most popular rides if we pay (unless they break down but that's not a new issue), which aren't as expensive as I originally thought they would be and there are only two a la cartes per park anyway. I thought there were going to be 3-5 per park, like the FP+ tiers.

I used MaxPass at Disneyland and absolutely loved it. It was way better than FP or FP+ so I didn't mind paying for it at all. It was so convenient. And when you compare, WDW's Orlando competitors (Universal and SeaWorld) are charging far more for their version of FP. I'm happy to pay the money for the convenience, ease, and the (mostly) guaranteed rides on the stand-out attractions. Beats setting clocks and alarms to get in a virtual queue within two seconds or waiting in hours-long lines.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

What the parks offer in terms of attractions and experiences is still fun for me, along with the time it gives me with the people I’m with when I go. The last couple of years that’s been with my mother, since she fell in love with the place after it opened, but would never go by herself.

The company’s decisions of rising prices, nickel and dimeing, and adding layer upon layer not to benefit you as a customer but their bottom line is making it harder and harder each year though.

I have one visit planned for the week after Thanksgiving that will now be a solo trip - my first ever - and then my girlfriend and I are looking at possibly going for Flower and Garden next year as a final use of our annuals and then I don’t see myself going again anytime soon.
It's why it's hard for me to understand the emotional attachment. I don't have that family attachment that a lot of you have for Disney either. The only thing in my life I can equate it to is how much I was blown away my first time visiting Cedar Point. Seeing that skyline of those massive steel coasters I was in awe.

MMRR up $2 today to $10
Frozen and Remy each up $2 to $11
7DMT up $2 to $12
SM up $2 to $9

Everest still at $7 o_O not even a weekend can justify more lol
They did say that would happen.

Jeff4272

Resale price predictions are roughly as accurate as a blindfolded dart throw, but in your case I wouldn't sell either. At worst if you rode this thing for 10 more years you at least broke even based on what you paid.
lol......Im up A LOT

I know you're just upset at yourself for missing out but its ok, maybe next time!

LSLS

Not so obvious anymore. The entertainment this summer/Halloween has been way ahead of what I remember.

Chi84

Premium Member
I’m behind on reading (skimmed and learned once again I’m not an adult 🙄). Anyway, I did get up at 7 and chose the perfect 10:45 time for Rise, went through the entire purchase process which included getting a code and billing credit card, then got a “sorry something went wrong try again.” Now I have a not so great 2:50 for Rise with SDD at 6:30 (that one is perfect). Heading to HS after breakfast to see how it goes.

pdude81

lol......Im up A LOT

I know you're just upset at yourself for missing out but its ok, maybe next time!
Not exactly. I have an Animal Kingdom contract I bought in the 80s (dollars not decade) and I was mad at the time it was that expensive. My point is that the market for DVC goes up and down wildly, and even if it was worth almost nothing in ten years you'd get enough use out of it to cover the low purchase cost.

And in the last ten years, everybody is up a lot.

Disstevefan1

I’m behind on reading (skimmed and learned once again I’m not an adult 🙄). Anyway, I did get up at 7 and chose the perfect 10:45 time for Rise, went through the entire purchase process which included getting a code and billing credit card, then got a “sorry something went wrong try again.” Now I have a not so great 2:50 for Rise with SDD at 6:30 (that one is perfect). Heading to HS after breakfast to see how it goes.
You are not alone. Folks are experiencing similar stuff going wrong. Thanks Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom