Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

LSLS

So my take. The idea of money off if the ride is in B mode is stupid. You don't get money back if Space mountain is closed for refurbishment. Has anybody demanded refunds for animal kingdom because the yeti has been down? Cedar point didn't refund my pass this year cause top thrill dragster was down half the season. You paying to go on the ride is no guarantee that every effect is working in perfect order. It never has been, and never has been at any other park.

That said, the idea it is YOUR responsibility to go begging for a gift card when the attraction is down for your set time is also ridiculous. A note should pop up that the ride is down, and that your LL is extended for the rest of the day. If you are unable to use or the ride doesn't reopen, there should be a button that becomes visible for a refund. It goes away the second you scan into the attraction. This is not difficult programming. This is disney simply offering horrible customer service with the hope of making an extra $15. For a multi billion dollar company.

Waters Back Side

Standby while free is not FP.

Exactly! And despite the issues with standby in the past, it is obvious that it would be beneficial for standby to have longer waits then LL because it will make LL more attractive.

I would like to know how quick people are getting on with LL access. Is it the same, quicker or longer then it was for FP? Are people in the last couple of days finding that you can actually walk on within 5 minutes of your booked LL rides? Are the waits closer to 15 minutes on some rides still?

G00fyDad

Exactly! And despite the issues with standby in the past, it is obvious that it would be beneficial for standby to have longer waits then LL because it will make LL more attractive.

I would like to know how quick people are getting on with LL access. Is it the same, quicker or longer then it was for FP? Are people in the last couple of days finding that you can actually walk on within 5 minutes of your booked LL rides? Are the waits closer to 15 minutes on some rides still?

I have seen a lot of people say that the standby was around 45 minutes for a ride but they got on in 5 with LL.

DisneyCane

I have seen a lot of people say that the standby was around 45 minutes for a ride but they got on in 5 with LL.
The question is was the standby really 45 minutes or was it 25 minutes? The people in LL will never know so no matter what the reality is, it is always in Disney's interest to post long standby waits. Even if the real wait is less, it will encourage Genie+ and ILL purchases as well as make the purchaser feel like they got a better value.

Waters Back Side

Slinky again late afternoon availability and its 740am. I'll be waking up at 7am my HS day for sure and waiting to book SDD for the late afternoon and then at 11am at park arrival have be able to pick 2 and possibly 3 LLs before that time.

TimeTrip

Has it been confirmed that you can get another LL via Genie+ 2 hours after park open even if you haven't entered the park? I thought Disney might require you to be in the park before starting the 2 hour timer for getting another FP.
I'd find it super surprising if you could stack 3 or 4 this way without even entering the park. Certainly makes it more valuable .

Waters Back Side

Has it been confirmed that you can get another LL via Genie+ 2 hours after park open even if you haven't entered the park? I thought Disney might require you to be in the park before starting the 2 hour timer for getting another FP.
I'd find it super surprising if you could stack 3 or 4 this way without even entering the park. Certainly makes it more valuable .

I cannot find the link(s) but I read Disneyland you have to be in the park and WDW you do not.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I cannot find the link(s) but I read Disneyland you have to be in the park and WDW you do not.
That is true.

No Genie
  • Show up, get in standby lines, OR, use Boarding Groups/Virtual Queues -- either way, all rides can be ridden at no additional cost this way
  • Can still use My Disney Experience app (MDE)
  • The old "My Plans" section can be accessed by searching for my plans in the search bar.

Disney Genie [DG] (without the "+")
  • The app that will plan your day 'for free' by guiding you to your preferred attractions (standby lines) throughout the day.
  • Coming Oct 19, 2021 to WDW. [Start date at DL is still TBD.]

Disney Genie+ [DG+]
  • What is it?
    • DG+ is an add-on to the free Disney Genie app... for a daily fee.
    • It will then show on your app, the list of attractions/rides that have a "Lightning Lane" (what used to be called "FastPass Queue/Line").
    • It shows the next available "Lightning Lane Pass" for that attraction. Click on it, and you know have a scheduled Lightning Lane.
  • Purchasing Genie+
    • Costs $15 per day per guest per day at WDW; costs $20 at DL.
    • DG+ can be bought on a day-to-day basis.
      • You can purchase a theme park ticket with DG+ added on
      • You can add DG+ to your ticket already purchased
      • You can purchase DG+ for the day through the app
        • DG+ can be added to the day of your visit starting at 12:00 AM (let's call it 12:01 AM, so we know which side of the divide we're on). Then, at 7:00 AM, you can do your DG+ stuff.
      • If you purchase a multi-day ticket/package, you can add DG+ for the whole stay.
    • APs can purchase DG+ per day on each day they attend.
      • It is unknown at this time if Disney will have an option to pay one price to add G+$ to an AP for every visit (like a Park Hopper Pass can be added).
    • When you make a DG+ LL selection. It can be cancelled so that you can choose a different LL.
  • Benefit: Lightning Lanes [LL]
    • DG+ gives you access to Lightning Lanes (LLs, previously, FP Queues), which are available one-at-a-time throughout the day.
      • In this way, you can schedule your LLs like Maxpass in DL or with the old paper passes.
    • Shows you the next available scheduling slot for a slew of rides (with the exception of select 'tier 1' rides that now have an individual extra cost [see ILL below]) and you pick one, and show up at the time.
    • All guests can schedule their first LL at 7a at WDW. At DL, they can schedule their first LL once in the park.
      • WARNING: If you grab a LL for later in the day, the 120 minute times starts when the park opens, and not at 7 AM. If your first LL of the day is at park opening, it makes no difference. If your first LL is later in the day, your next LL window will be 2 hours after the park opens.
    • You don't have to be in the park in which your next LL is scheduled (so, you can chose your LL at the resort, e.g., or at another park and then hop)
    • When can you grab your next LL? Book another LL when your return window opens for your current 'open' LL, OR, after 2 hours since your last selection, whichever is sooner, which is the current DL practice of Maxpass.
      • This means that, e.g., if at 9 AM you pick up a Big Thunder Mountain LL scheduled for 4 PM, then, at 11 AM, you can choose a new DG+ LL pass.
    • Note that you can only get one LL per ride per day. For example, if you grab a LL for Haunted Mansion, you can't get another LL for HM in that same day. You'll have to use the Standby line for a second ride. This includes purchasing an ILL (see below). However you get a LL for an attraction, you can't get another LL for that attraction the same day. Re-rides can be accomplished by using the Standby Queue/Line.
  • Benefits, Miscellaneous:
    • at DL, Genie+ gives you Photopass and audio tour tracks
    • At WDW, G+ doesn't give you photopass, but you get augmented reality lens and some audio tour tracks.

Individual Lightning Lanes (ILL) [formerly knowns as Individual Attractions Lightning Lanes $elect Experiences (IA$)]
  • Buy up to two Individual Lightning Lane $elections (formerly, "fastpasses") for select rides
    • The select rides are: Space, 7DMT, FEA, Rat, RotR, MMRR, FoP, Everest
  • If you buy your max of 2 for the day, they must be two different attractions, no double dipping.
    • If you also purchased DG+ (see above), you're still limited to one LL per attraction per day, whether by ILL or DG+.
  • Unlike DG+LLs in which you can only grab the next available time slot, these individually selected pay-per-ride ILLs can be scheduled at a wide range of time slots if those slots are available.
    • Once you purchase it, you'll see all the available time slots of the day.
  • Disney Resort Guests at WDW can purchase ILL at 7am day-of.
    • Non-resort-guests at WDW, and everyone at DL, have to wait until the park opens to buy their ILL.
  • You don't have to be in the park in which your ILLis scheduled
    • this way, you can chose your ILL at the resort, e.g., or at another park and then hop
  • When you make a ILL selection, it cannot be moved or cancelled for some other attraction or time. It is non-refundable.
  • You don't have to purchase Genie+$15 in order to buy your one or two ILL. A person looking for rides on Genie (regular, not 'plus') will see a button to *purchase* a LL for select rides.
  • Disney wan't sure what to call this. We've seen, and they may still use at times...
    • Lightning Lane Select Experiences
    • Individual Attraction Selections (IAS)
    • Individual Attractions
    • Individual Lightning Lanes (ILL) (!!)
    • Individual á la carte Lightning Lane Entrance
  • At launch, ILL attractions will be priced at $7-$15 per attraction per person. Everest will be the cheapest and Rise of the Resistance being the most expensive. Prices will fluctuate based on demand (so far, prices we've seen have fluctuated only a few dollars)

Virtual Queues
  • Will be found under Genie (regular, not 'plus')
  • Rat will have them.
  • RotR recently got removed from VQs, it may go back on
  • If you miss the VQ lottery:
    • These attractions could possibly wind up with standby lines on slow days, or,
    • you may be able to buy a IA$ for it under Genie (regular, not 'plus')

1629355664949.png

View attachment 591991

See also...

This is a helpful graphic by @JAB...

View attachment 580907

View attachment 592001

Chi84

Premium Member
Slinky again late afternoon availability and its 740am. I'll be waking up at 7am my HS day for sure and waiting to book SDD for the late afternoon and then at 11am at park arrival have be able to pick 2 and possibly 3 LLs before that time.
It's showing 1:45 now. Maybe it's better to wait for the 9 am release than the one at 7? Or maybe take what you can and try to cancel and re-book at 9?

Waters Back Side

It's showing 1:45 now. Maybe it's better to wait for the 9 am release than the one at 7? Or maybe take what you can and try to cancel and re-book at 9?

That is also an option although might be risky the week I'll be there. With Genie + do you have to cancel first and then book it for the better availability? Or can you cancel and and re-book at the same time? I ask this because the difference in time to do that you could lose the spot.

G00fyDad

The question is was the standby really 45 minutes or was it 25 minutes? The people in LL will never know so no matter what the reality is, it is always in Disney's interest to post long standby waits. Even if the real wait is less, it will encourage Genie+ and ILL purchases as well as make the purchaser feel like they got a better value.

The reports from some said they had others from their group that did not use the LL and they waited 45 minutes. So....

Chi84

Premium Member
That is also an option although might be risky the week I'll be there. With Genie + do you have to cancel first and then book it for the better availability? Or can you cancel and and re-book at the same time? I ask this because the difference in time to do that you could lose the spot.
I'll probably try this tomorrow. I'm sure someone else has already had experience with it and can answer.

Disstevefan1

I have seen the vloggers do this.

You have a LL for an attraction, but you see a better one, you must first cancel the existing one and when you go back that better time you originally saw is gone.

I am thinking, if you have multiple folks in your account you may be able to work together? One can cancel and the other (at an instant later) pick up the new one?

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
This is where I would rely on TouringPlans actual wait times. I will be curious to see if they do comparisons to the Genie times to see if there is a large disparity.

PolynesianPrincess

So from what I'm gathering, they're using a rolling availability method, like they used to do for the original paper FPs and MaxPass at Disneyland yes? Do then this basically is just like the paper FPs, just everything is done on your phone instead of running across the park to get FP in hand. Didn't that use the same "you can get a FP once your window opens for the FP you currently have or 2 hours after you get the FP (if the return time is more than 2 hours away)"?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom