• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Disney Genie, Genie+ officially introduced along with confirmed details of how it will work

aaronml

You are given an "Experience Redemption" to use when it comes back.
Is this what the app calls it now? For a while they were showing in the app as “Experience Access” but I would have hoped they’d have switched to “Lightning Lane” branding by now.

UNCgolf

You are given an "Experience Redemption" to use when it comes back.

Well we just had a long discussion about this, but what if it's impossible for a person to ride when it's back up due to a dinner reservation or something along those lines? Or if the ride doesn't come back up the whole rest of the day?

Is there any indication what Disney plans to do in those scenarios?

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you would read the thread, you'd already see the answers to these questions. The whole point is that refunds are likely going to be a necessity because of the specific situation at hand, which is very different from the standard Disney issues you're talking about.

It's literally the least 'Karen' thing imaginable.

Disney gives a hundred different forms of Guest Recovery outside of Refunds. The sky is not falling if there are no refunds... and again if you talk to Disney, they are one of the most back-bending companies on the planet when it comes to Guest Recovery.

Disney isn't going to screw people over a $9 digital line skip.

Chi84

Premium Member
Well we just had a long discussion about this, but what if it's impossible for a person to ride when it's back up due to a dinner reservation or something along those lines? Or if the ride doesn't come back up the whole rest of the day?

Is there any indication what Disney plans to do in those scenarios?
I think we’ll have to wait until the problem becomes a real one instead of a hypothetical. Then Disney will respond and we’ll know. They may even change or tweak their policy since it’s only been in effect one day.

Disney’s guest recovery has always been excellent. Just as an example, when I sent an email informing them of problems we had having our credit card repeatedly disconnected from MDE a few years ago, I received a call the next day from a person who took quite a bit of interest in the issue. She then gave us two complimentary nights at Bay Lake Tower.

I know that’s an extreme example, but I don’t think there’s any reason to conclude prematurely that Disney is going to deny refunds under any and all circumstances.

UNCgolf

I think we’ll have to wait until the problem becomes a real one instead of a hypothetical. Then Disney will respond and we’ll know. They may even change or tweak their policy since it’s only been in effect one day.

Disney’s guest recovery has always been excellent. Just as an example, when I sent an email informing them of problems we had having our credit card repeatedly disconnected from MDE a few years ago, I received a call the next day from a person who took quite a bit of interest in the issue. She then gave us two complimentary nights at Bay Lake Tower.

I know that’s an extreme example, but I don’t think there’s any reason to conclude prematurely that Disney is going to deny refunds under any and all circumstances.

I don't either -- I don't think anyone was suggesting that was actually going to be their blanket policy. It was just a hypothetical discussion based on the earlier information that Disney was not offering refunds to people today even though Rise went down; this is a discussion board, after all!

I fully expect them to change their policy (if that is in fact their policy) because I don't think there's an easy way to get around it that's going to work for most or all guests.

It's also really only going to be an issue on Rise the vast majority of the time. The other rides don't go down very often. I'm still curious about skipping the preshows on Rise, though. I think it's really bad form for them to skip roughly half the experience when people are paying for it; I know I'd be very unhappy.

RSoxNo1

On the home page next to My Future Plans you will see My Day with the option to change it. Change that day to the first day of your park hopper ticket. You should then be able to scroll down to a purple bar asking if you would like Genie+. If you click that, it should lead you through a series of prompts letting you add it. You have to add it for the entire trip.
Thanks, I think part of the issue initially was I have an AP but people I'm traveling with are getting 8 day hoppers. I didn't click far enough.

It also appears that if you have a hopper it's an all or nothing proposition, you can't selectively say you want it for one day but not the other.

FantasiaMickey2000

So I was here today. I went to Animal Kingdom. I did not buy any of this and I certainly felt like I didn’t need it. I’m sure folks at Hollywood Studios may have felt differently but I see zero value in Genie+ at AK or the ILL for Everest. I could maybe see it for FoP if the wait is over 2 hours. But I got to the park a little after 8 and only had a 50 minute wait. I’d assume if you want to ride FoP just try not to ride in the middle of the day and you shouldn’t have a bad wait.

DisneyDodo

Why is it so foreign to think they won't just give them a LL for another time? or good for another day?
Or if that doesn't work, I'm sure the GR people will come up with something. This is what Disney does... I don't know why people are making this out to be a big deal.

Normal compensation doesn't work for your specific scenario? Disney will listen to you if you put in the time.

This is nothing new.

This is the most 'Karen' topic in this thread yet.
Why should you have to “put in the time” to get reimbursed for a service the company couldn’t provide? If the ride goes down, it should be just as easy to get your money back as it was to book the ILL in the first place. If Disney wants to also offer other options, like an any-time pass, great! But there is no excuse for refusing a refund, or making you hunt one down.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Why should you have to “put in the time” to get reimbursed for a service the company couldn’t provide? If the ride goes down, it should be just as easy to get your money back as it was to book the ILL in the first place. If Disney wants to also offer other options, like an any-time pass, great! But there is no excuse for refusing a refund, or making you hunt one down.

Disney will give automatic recovery options - if those options don't work for you, then you need to goto GR.

none of this is new

CJR

Which would probably make Disney very happy, as they could then potentially cut expenses in merch and dining while pocketing pure profit.

I think they really want both. I'd also bet that this system wasn't cheap to develop, given it's been coming for several years, and will require maintenance and updates. It'll be easy to profit from, but so are the balloons.

DisneyDodo

So I was here today. I went to Animal Kingdom. I did not buy any of this and I certainly felt like I didn’t need it. I’m sure folks at Hollywood Studios may have felt differently but I see zero value in Genie+ at AK or the ILL for Everest. I could maybe see it for FoP if the wait is over 2 hours. But I got to the park a little after 8 and only had a 50 minute wait. I’d assume if you want to ride FoP just try not to ride in the middle of the day and you shouldn’t have a bad wait.
When I go in December, KRR will be under refurbishment. With FoP and EE using ILL and TS not eligible for LL, that will leave a grand total of 3 rides (plus a handful of non-ride attractions) for G+ in AK — KS, Dinosaur, and NRJ. With no rerides allowed, that means a maximum of 3 LLs for rides with G+.

If I wasn’t getting a park-hopper, I can’t imagine I would pay for G+ on an AK day.

FantasiaMickey2000

When I go in December, KRR will be under refurbishment. With FoP and EE using ILL and TS not eligible for LL, that will leave a grand total of 3 rides (plus a handful of non-ride attractions) for G+ in AK — KS, Dinosaur, and NRJ. With no rerides allowed, that means a maximum of 3 LLs for rides with G+.

If I wasn’t getting a park-hopper, I can’t imagine I would pay for G+ on an AK day.
Yup, park hopper is the only thing saving any value here. I’d argue the same about Epcot to be honest.

UNCgolf

Indeed. If re-rides were allowed, I'd get it because I'd happily ride the Safari several times. I'd be okay with riding NRJ several times too for little or no wait. But for only one ride? Doesn't seem worth it.

Jrb1979

50 minutes is too long of a wait for me. I would buy Genie+ regardless. $15 is nothing

Jeff4272

Yup, park hopper is the only thing saving any value here. I’d argue the same about Epcot to be honest.
This is why I think genie+ will be a big flop.

no need to buy in at least 2 parks

And the other 2 no need of crowds were like today.

IAS, I’d buy. But even the demand for those rides will dissipate. Disney is going to need a GOG, Tron, ROTR every 2 years in each park to keep that revenue stream up.

DisneyDodo

Disney will give automatic recovery options - if those options don't work for you, then you need to goto GR.

none of this is new
Firstly, ILL launched today, so this is new. Previously, Disney did not offer the option to book a specific attraction for a fee, at least not for several decades.

Secondly, just because a policy is old, doesn’t mean it’s not bad. If Disney can make it so easy for you to give them your money for a service, they should make it just as easy for you to get it back if they can’t provide the service. You’re literally paying money to save time — it defeats the purpose of the refund if you have to expend substantial time retrieving it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom