Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

homerdance

Sometimes I think the highest level businessperson you people have ever talked to is the floor manager at the local Applebee's. Your impression of corporate executives seems to be based on James Bond movies and Occupy Wall Street rally posters.
Most people who take millions of dollars in compensation while having full time employees on their payroll making minimum wage are some of the most benevolent people.

pdude81

Trying to figure out who is the target demographic that will pay $15 per day per person for EPCOT and AKL. In reality it is $15 for an ILL pass for test track with free LLs for a few other rides at EPCOT.

Literally 2 rides that have a Wait on a regular basis on the gp$+ soarin is almost always walk-on after 7 and test track is down anytime it rains.
demo is Park hoppers. Start in the morning at DAK and blast through the rides there with early entry and potentially an IAS for FOP, then head to Epcot and get on G+ stuff there and do standby for Remy (assuming it switches to standby next week when this debuts).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Not sure what you're laughing at. There ARE people who will pay Disney ANYTHING, no matter the cost, no matter what they're selling, even if its not worth the value. They may see the value in it, but Disney fans have spoken. Every single article I've seen on social media about it are met with 9 out of 10 responses being negative. I've never seen this much backlash over something, especially from people who I've never heard say a bad word about Disney EVER.
Backlash is because people don't want to pay more. Understandable.

But people also don't want to be in a theme park where every ride has a 90 minute wait and just feels crowded.

Disney is a victim of its own success. More people want to experience it, than the parks have the capacity to handle.

Raising the costs is one way of lowering demand. A hard limit capacity in the form of park reservations is another.

Same scenario with tickets to big-name recording artists' concerts, top tier sporting events, and Broadway shows (esp. the big musicals).

People are willing to pay the premium.

It's a free market. Universal or other theme parks can use this opportunity to compete by providing the experience people want at a price they can afford. And some theme parks are doing fine in that regard. But... why not more so if that's what everyone wants?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I own 5 telecom companies…. That can be verified by members here. @marni1971. I believe his opinion is trusted here.

you’re the biggest Disney honk on this board currently…. And that’s saying something.

there’s a reason I joined here in 2004 (or whatever it was) and hardly post anymore.

what they’re doing is further killing the Disney parks. Which began a decade or more ago. But because Disney fans are willing to take a special level of abuse, it will continue. There will be a breaking point…. But we’re not there. Till then I’ll continue to be a pass holder in Hong Kong and Tokyo.
Yes

yes and yes

undecided

And yes.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Disney rather than expanding parks (or yes dare I say ever building a 5th) want to reduce capacity to control crowds more yet make more money so for those of us who want to continue being regular Disney guests…get that credit card ready. It’s gonna be ugly

btw…I’ve noticed a very unusual amount of dvc resales lately as well. Maybe many of the regular dvc guests are starting to have enough of this as well (as they were already paying a ton)

nickys

Premium Member
Criticizing a service, the price for a service, or the decision to pay that price is not an attempt to “control” anyone. It’s criticism on a message board.
I’m pretty sure that isn’t what @Chi84 was saying. Between the time it was announced and the time their post was made, there were 2 posts saying “don’t buy this” and “please don’t mess this up, don’t buy it”.

On other threads there have been similar posts by the same, and other, posters.
“When you buy XYZ, you’re affecting everyone else who ever goes to WDW”
“Your actions ruin everyone else’s vacation”
“It’s people like you who encourage them to do this again and again”.

That is not discussion or debate, it isn’t constructive. Criticising something like Genie+ and making an argument against it iis normal discussion.

Criticising someone directly because they choose to buy it starts to feel like a personal attack. And statements like “Don’t buy it” is an attempt to try and dictate what people should and shouldn’t do.

“I hope no-one buys it”, or “I don’t see why you think you need to buy it” is a better way of opening up a discussion.

nickys

Premium Member
So no cancellations I see too once booked.

Well played di$ney
What? 😲 So if you book an ILL (whatever they’re calling it by now), you can’t cancel?

I would hope they’ll be exceptions. Someone in your group gets ill and you end up having to leave the park. Or someone decides they don’t want to ride.

Guest Services are going to be busy.

nickys

Premium Member
We're talking about people who like to sleep in. Why would people who like to sleep in WANT their first attraction at an early time?

The people who will be in the parks for a 9am Lightning Lane are already up at 7.
Yes and No.

If you’re staying at Bay Lake and going to MK, or Beach Club at going to Epcot, and don’t have small children, it doesn’t take long to get ready and get to the entrance.

And if you were wanting to book ILL passes you might well want to have the pick of times for them.

nickys

Premium Member
I’ve read the official release, and confused about a couple of things that I thought had been previously confirmed but aren’t mentioned or the current info seems contradictory.

1. Can you still stack the Genie+ passes?
Seems like they’re saying you can only book another when you’ve ridden. There’s no mention of the 2 hours later window.

2. If staying onsite can you book two ILL passes at 7am?
The official stuff says you can book one at 7am and implies you’ll have to wait until you’ve ridden ot before booking another.

Chi84

Premium Member
I’ve read the official release, and confused about a couple of things that I thought had been previously confirmed but aren’t mentioned or the current info seems contradictory.

Seems like they’re saying you can only book another when you’ve ridden. There’s no mention of the 2 hours later window.

The official stuff says you can book one at 7am and implies you’ll have to wait until you’ve ridden ot before booking another.
Hopefully, those details will be clarified soon. I think they're trying not to overwhelm people with details before the system is even implemented, but that makes it difficult for someone (especially someone visiting soon) to know what to expect.

WDW has always required a good deal of research and planning. I remember buying both the official and unofficial guides before our first trip to Epcot in 1984. As it's grown, it has become increasingly unwieldy. Disney initially tried to alleviate the problem with systems that were "all-inclusive," like park-hoppers that let you pay upfront and then make decisions as you go.

But as @MisterPenguin pointed out, it's become a victim of its own success. This has led to rationing in the form of ADR's being made 180 days out, line-skip systems and now park reservations. From what I understand, FP+ wasn't working because too many people were using the free system, making standby lines too long. As a paid system, Genie+ will likely have fewer people using it and should have less of an impact on standby lines. Also, many people hated having to make ride selections 60 or 30 days in advance. Genie+ allows for very little scheduling.

I hate to condemn any new system before it's even been implemented, but Genie+ combined with the need to make park reservations may be challenging for the way my family vacations. I don't think we'll be the only ones. I would hate to be a CM trying to explain to someone that they can't use the park hopper they bought because they decided last minute to go to a water park in the morning and didn't scan into the park they reserved. Also, I'm not too crazy about making ride reservations at 7 a.m. if that turns out to be necessary.

We're keeping an open mind for now, but if it gets to the point that WDW is too much to handle, we'll have to start looking into other vacation options. If enough people do this and attendance drops, Disney will have to make changes if it wants to keep the parks operating. Market forces will work to change Disney; posters telling each other how to vacation will not.

runnsally

Agree the demo for epcot genie+ is park hoppers (plus folks that may not understand the system), but underscores why having FEA as IAS is so lame.

coupled with MMRR (SDD was the obvious choice, no?) seems like it is targeting families with young children who need to pay to avoid a meltdown

Last edited:

runnsally

Agree the demo for epcot genie+ is park hoppers (plus folks that may not understand the system), but underscores why having FEA as IAS is so lame.

coupled with MMRR (SDD was the obvious choice, no?) seems like it is targeting families with young children who need to pay to avoid a meltdown

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What? 😲 So if you book an ILL (whatever they’re calling it by now), you can’t cancel?

I would hope they’ll be exceptions. Someone in your group gets ill and you end up having to leave the park. Or someone decides they don’t want to ride.

Guest Services are going to be busy.

An ILL/IA$ is a purchase. And like most purchases, is ordinarily considered final. If you spent two hours in the park and then left because you started to feel ill, should you get a refund for your day-ticket? How about a partial refund after 5 hours in the park?

Of course, a CS CM may take pity on one's plight and provide a little pixie dust of magic and grant a refund tho they aren't obliged to. And one may get a refund for an ILL/IA$ purchase scheduled for 5 PM if you're leaving the park at 10 AM because you're sick. But they definitely don't want people cancelling and shuffling around ILL/IA$s like they can for DG+ LLs.

Yes, they can be stacked.

Yes, you can grab your two ILLs/IA$s starting at 7 AM if you're onsite.

This has been confirmed by @scottgustin on Twitter, who's a journalist that covers Disney and has been right about almost everything he's tweeted.

Genie+/IA$ Info Summary Link Here

nickys

Premium Member
An ILL/IA$ is a purchase. And like most purchases, is ordinarily considered final. If you spent two hours in the park and then left because you started to feel ill, should you get a refund for your day-ticket? How about a partial refund after 5 hours in the park?

Of course, a CS CM may take pity on one's plight and provide a little pixie dust of magic and grant a refund tho they aren't obliged to. And one may get a refund for an ILL/IA$ purchase scheduled for 5 PM if you're leaving the park at 10 AM because you're sick. But they definitely don't want people cancelling and shuffling around ILL/IA$s like they can for DG+ LLs.

Yes, they can be stacked.

Yes, you can grab your two ILLs/IA$s starting at 7 AM if you're onsite.

This has been confirmed by @scottgustin on Twitter, who's a journalist that covers Disney and has been right about almost everything he's tweeted.

Genie+/IA$ Info Summary Link Here
I know we’ve been discussing this, which is why we already have the site FAQs and your Rumour Tracker.

But the info released which I’ve seen doesn’t match up with that, and is quite specific. Unfortunately the U.K. site doesn’t have anything about it yet, so I can’t see what Disney posted.

For example this is what’s on MDE:

“Once you’ve redeemed your initial selection (or the arrival window has passed) you can make another selection”.

And again about the ILL, the wording was was definitely “onsite guests can reserve one at 7am”.

I know who Scott is but I haven’t seen anyone post his tweets yet.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I know we’ve been discussing this, which is why we already have the site FAQs and your Rumour Tracker.

But the info released which I’ve seen doesn’t match up with that, and is quite specific. Unfortunately the U.K. site doesn’t have anything about it yet, so I can’t see what Disney posted.

For example this is what’s on MDE:

“Once you’ve redeemed your initial selection (or the arrival window has passed) you can make another selection”.

And again about the ILL, the wording was was definitely “onsite guests can reserve one at 7am”.

I know who Scott is but I haven’t seen anyone post his tweets yet.
It is going to be 2 at 7am for resorts, and 2 at park open for everyone else.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
BUT there is some conflicting info on this, so think we may have to see on this. Like a lot of Genie, it is perhaps still in flux.

From the guest facing Genie site:

When to Select Attractions
You can purchase individual selections for up to 2 different attractions per day.
  • Guests of a Disney Resort Hotel and Other Select Hotels: These Guests can make their first purchase starting at 7:00 AM on the day of their visit. Available to Disney Resort hotel Guests and Guests of Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Hotels and Shades of Green.
  • All Other Guests: These Guests can make their first purchase when the park opens.

And in another place:

Lightning Lane entry as an "á la carte" purchase will be offered at a few of our most popular attractions. This option can be purchased by all Guests—with or without the purchase of Disney Genie+ service—and lets you choose a time to arrive at the Lightning Lane entry at up to 2 attractions each day (purchased one at a time).

nickys

Premium Member
BUT there is some conflicting info on this, so think we may have to see on this. Like a lot of Genie, it is perhaps still in flux.

From the guest facing Genie site:

When to Select Attractions
You can purchase individual selections for up to 2 different attractions per day.
  • Guests of a Disney Resort Hotel and Other Select Hotels: These Guests can make their first purchase starting at 7:00 AM on the day of their visit. Available to Disney Resort hotel Guests and Guests of Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Hotels and Shades of Green.
  • All Other Guests: These Guests can make their first purchase when the park opens.
That’s what I saw too, which is why I was asking.

There is definitely some conflicting information coming from Disney, compared with what they said previously.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom