Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

mikejs78

Premium Member
I know what you feel like. We only stay at values as well. We don't spend much time at the resort anyway. But that half hour in the mornings is not going to be beneficial for us. It won't be beneficial for anybody. I don't care what people say it can sometimes take 30 minutes just to get through the gate and get in the park. The only way this could possibly be worthwhile is if they let people into the parking lot an hour or more before the park opens and then allow people staying on property to scan through the turnstiles almost an hour early and then stand at a rope until that 30 minute mark. Even still, it's just not worth it for us. I'm in a holding pattern for right now waiting to see how everybody handles this coming November with the new Genie system and everything else before I pull the trigger and cancel our trip to rebook off site.
I mean, that's usually what they did for EMH. Will definitely be worth it for us as I'll be able to get,.for example, FoP or SDMT or SM without purchasing a lightning lane individual attraction pass..

Disstevefan1

Not sure if this math is correct, but if there are 20M guests a year and only 10% opt for Genie+, that's 2M people at $15 a pop, or $30M a year. I'm curious if they have either target revenue or target acceptance that they'll be massaging over the next few months as people move into the system.
We can argue the math but one thing is for sure, what used to be free they are now TAKING MONEY for. Disney wins.

G00fyDad

I mean, that's usually what they did for EMH. Will definitely be worth it for us as I'll be able to get,.for example, FoP or SDMT or SM without purchasing a lightning lane individual attraction pass..
I'm also kind of waiting on that to fall into place too. I'm waiting to find out exactly what attractions are going to be part of the IAS system. Then I'm going to see if it blows up in their face or if it works out and how well it's received and used by other people. If it turns into a train wreck then I'm absolutely staying off property.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So WDW has taken away hours from regular day guests tickets and replaced it with these "after hours" events and they generate about $140mm in additional revenue per year

Something they have been doing for ages - the parties have been eating into operating hours for years. The one saving grace of the new parties is they don't force an even EARLIER closer of the parks like the parties did.

doctornick

I expect opt in to be higher than 10%. And MK alone would account for roughly 20M a year.

…. and then think about the individual attraction purchase option.

It would be nice if that could use whatever that revenue is to build more attractions which can bring more guests and more revenue via future Genie+/IAS sales.... until you realize that $30M or whatever is only enough to build a spinner with Disney's inflated costs.

NoChesterHester

It would be nice if that could use whatever that revenue is to build more attractions which can bring more guests and more revenue via future Genie+/IAS sales.... until you realize that $30M or whatever is only enough to build a spinner with Disney's inflated costs.

… It could more easily justify investment and direct measurable ROI for new attractions through the lightning lane upsell. “Could” does not equate to “shall”.

pdude81

The idea would be that additional rides would allow for more guests to purchase ride skips to get on the new thing, or to be excited that a former IAS attraction would now be in G+ if the new ride was a headliner. Whatever amount they pull in doesn't change the fundamental need to add and refresh attractions over time; it just adds to the top line so that they don't have a leg to stand on complaining about capital expenditures

Patcheslee

Any word of what DLs paid LL attractions will be? Kinda hard to believe they would only have a total of 4 vs 8 for WDW. Or are there less capacity issues there?

dreday3

It's September 16th. (you're welcome if you didn't know)

They can't possibly be starting this until 10/11 or later - because otherwise they'd be dropping it on people 2 weeks ahead of time? People need to budget if they are purchasing for a bigger family. Heck, even a smaller one.

This is getting kind of crappy.

Kamikaze

… It could more easily justify investment and direct measurable ROI for new attractions through the lightning lane upsell. “Could” does not equate to “shall”.
Thats a very good point that needs to be considered. Monetizing the attraction directly allows them to say 'We made $x million on the first year of this attraction' which could lead to future investment to continue chasing that bump after the attractions open.

They can't possibly be starting this until 10/11 or later - because otherwise they'd be dropping it on people 2 weeks ahead of time? People need to budget if they are purchasing for a bigger family. Heck, even a smaller one.

There was no way this was ever going to start before the 50th.

dreday3

Thats a very good point that needs to be considered. Monetizing the attraction directly allows them to say 'We made $x million on the first year of this attraction' which could lead to future investment to continue chasing that bump after the attractions open.

There was no way this was ever going to start before the 50th.

Right. That's why I said 10/11. Which is 3 weeks. If they announce it for the week of 10/4, that's only 2 weeks.
Rumor is that it was going to start very soon after 10/1 and that's fast approaching.

flynnibus

Premium Member

No need for some optional paid service to have a long lead time when none of it is scheduled, and not changing what people have already committed to do/lock-in. They could roll this out starting just days ahead. I'm sure they will give it more time just so people KNOW (and hence be ready to buy) but they don't need to have a long lead in.

dreday3

No need for some optional paid service to have a long lead time when none of it is scheduled, and not changing what people have already committed to do/lock-in. They could roll this out starting just days ahead. I'm sure they will give it more time just so people KNOW (and hence be ready to buy) but they don't need to have a long lead in.

Well, I'm not really worried about what they need, but more of what people need in terms of planning. Planning for only stand-by lines take some strategizing with early entry, etc. If we know we can schedule rides, we may not do as many rope drops, schedule another breakfast, etc. No, it's not life-changing, but still.

I just think more than a week or two heads up would be nice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom