Disney Genie, Genie+ officially introduced along with confirmed details of how it will work

RSoxNo1

Disney already has a way to control crowds. It's called Park Pass.

If Disney really wanted to control crowds in order to "maintain a good guest experience", they could set Park Pass to whatever levels they want. Instead, they increased the number of Park Passes even as COVID surged in Florida.

Let's see what's really going on here.
  • Disney ended the free FastPass+ and replaced it with a cash system that could cost Guests $50 or more per person per day.
  • Disney ended Extra Magic Hours, and is limiting its replacement to Deluxe Resort Guests only, and only (it appears) for the 2 slowest nights of the week in an effort to boost Deluxe Resort occupancy.
  • Disney is ending Disney's Magical Express to reduce its costs. (Seriously, how does this remotely "maintain a good guest experience?")
  • Disney charges for hotel parking, when it used to be included in the price of the hotel. (This improves Guest experience how?)
  • Disney raised hotel rack rates by about a total of 30% over the last few years.
  • Disney is offering no hotel discounts after September.
  • Disney now charges for MagicBands, something that used to be included in the price of an onsite stay. (Yes, Guests love paying for something they used to get for free.)
  • Disney has closed numerous shows and meet & greets, and is only slowly bringing these back, yet is still charging full price for tickets.
  • Disney increased annual pass prices by 25% for the very reason CEO Bob Chapek explicitly stated earlier this year:
Things like annual pass. There's probably no better example here than annual pass, where it's a legacy system, and people keep signing up year after year after year, which may or may not play into your yield management strategy in an ideal way. So we had a chance to thoughtfully and thoroughly reconsider that.

Disney doesn't give a hoot about "controlling crowds" or a "good guest experience."

The only thing corporate Disney cares about is money.
Vote with your wallets.

There is an erroneous assumption by Disney that people's vacation budgets have increased dramatically. It won't take too long for people to realize how much value they're getting and make different choices. If I have $5K for a vacation, I'll get a cheaper hotel room, get a rental car and pay for front of the line access. Disney will be getting a small percentage of that $5K than they were previously getting. Mission accomplished.

Last edited:

MrPromey

Universal starts at $110 per day for one park. They are pretty close to Disney's price.

And Disney is so expensive for one simple reason- there's so much demand to go and the parks are so crowded. It's called the law of supply and demand- when there is a lot of demand prices go up. They also have the largest parks that can hold more people.

Disney's Genie+ is also far and away the cheapest of any "skip the line" program at any park, with even the cheapest Six Flags flash pass starting out at $45/ day/ person. I know they aren't the same thing, but when you consider the crowds, the demand, and the broken system this has been long overdue from Disney.

Like I said when it releases if they break it I'll be the first to slam it. But the biggest gripe I see right now is "it's not free" and I don't see why it should be when it isn't anywhere else.

You mean the largest to stand around in? (remember, they took out the benches)

If so, Epcot and Animal Kingdom qualify but not Hollywood Studios.

MK is the only one with an appropriate number of attractions and somehow, that's still dwarfed by the Disneyland Park which has less land to work with.

Speaking of Disneyland (the resort), have you ever been? Do you realize that between those TWO parks, there are more attractions than at WDW's FOUR?

Yes, the park with the least to do over here got Star Wars Land and MMRR but guess what? DL park - the one with the most attractions of any Disney park and lower attendance than our MK, also got SWL and their MMRR is under construction right now - also in that same park.

Even by the bar Disney set themselves, they have not kept up here in the swamps (California Adventure is the newest US park, after all) and I'm sorry, paying for fp access to 20-50 year old rides and then paying even more for most of what was built within the last decade?*

Ridiculous.

As for Disney's payment system vs. everyone else's, your right - they aren't the same (not even remotely) so there is no point in bringing them up for comparison unless you're intentionally trying to confuse the conversation so why did you?

*not to metion, attractions like SM which are way, way older.

Last edited:

MrPromey

Disney has stated they want to control crowds to maintain a good guest experience. That's why annual passes are pricey and now come with a reservation system.

Was that copy/pasted from what they said about the variable date pricing at the time they rolled that out?

If not, they must have cracked open a thesaurus to swap a few words because it sounds exactly the same to me.

How did that work out for the guests, again?

You ever hear the saying "fool me once..."?

Last edited:

rkleinlein

Disney is becoming Six Flags. Look at this presentation and attention to detail

pay more and we get less - the new Di$ney all in one photo

View attachment 584116
Spot on. This really is the new Disney summed up in one photo: Sloppy, lazy, cheap, and tacky. And worse, an unintentional, in-your-face reminder that you get less and pay more for it.

As for everyone defending this by saying it's temporary and you can't expect them to change hundreds of signs overnight: Even a temporary sign change doesn't have to be this sloppy. It would not have been difficult to overlay a temporary sign in a way that you can't see the existing lettering underneath. Come on.

This is on par with the error-filled menu for the new "crēpe" (sic) restaurant. No excuses.

ImperfectPixie

Spot on. This really is the new Disney summed up in one photo: Sloppy, lazy, cheap, and tacky. And worse, an unintentional, in-your-face reminder that you get less and pay more for it.

As for everyone defending this by saying it's temporary and you can't expect them to change hundreds of signs overnight: Even a temporary sign change doesn't have to be this sloppy. It would not have been difficult to overlay a temporary sign in a way that you can't see the existing lettering underneath. Come on.

This is on par with the error-filled menu for the new "crēpe" (sic) restaurant. No excuses.
Yep...that's what thin acrylic and double-stick tape are for...temporary overlays. This would never have flown at the shop I worked at...and my boss at the time made Disney look like a spendthrift. This is just plain lazy.

jpinkc

You do realize they expect to charge as much as $25 per ride for some of the top tier stuff that's excluded under the current plan, right?
I dont think it will be that cheap. I think your underestimating the GREED of the current TWDC leadership. I think it could go as high as $50 or maybe more since we think they will use a Surge Pricing model for this. I think it will start at $25.

MrPromey

I dont think it will be that cheap. I think your underestimating the GREED of the current TWDC leadership. I think it could go as high as $50 or maybe more since we think they will use a Surge Pricing model for this. I think it will start at $25.
If they're successful, I imagine it'll grow to something like that but I'm pretty sure I read (probably on this site) that to roll out, the price estimate was between $8-$25 depending on the day and demand...

$25 for a family of four would still be $100 for attractions that in some cases, are less than four minutes long (let that sink in) but I'm sure if they sell briskly, we'll see the upper limit rise sharply.

ImperfectPixie

If they're successful, I imagine it'll grow to something like that but I'm pretty sure I read (probably on this site) that to roll out, the price estimate was between $8-$25 depending on the day and demand...

$25 for a family of four would still be $100 for attractions that in some cases, are less than four minutes long (let that sink in) but I'm sure if they sell briskly, we'll see the upper limit rise sharply.
Anyone who thinks $100 for 4 minutes of distraction is reasonable is doing some serious drugs or drinking.

EPCOT-O.G.

I saw rickklein's logo and it made me think of our friend WDWPro, who often had some insight or editorializing on rumors like this. I tried to look him up on here and there's scant reference to him anymore, and googling his user online also shows a paucity where once there was a lot of stuff. He did exist, right? I'm not being gaslit, am I?

havoc315

Let's look at something important inherent in your statement:

"If successful"... "if they sell briskly"

The argument about G+/LL from many people keeps making two contradictory assumptions:
1 -- It's way too expensive, $100 for a family of 4 for a 4-minute experience!
2 -- Everyone will buy it!

Even if the day of free paper FP, not everyone went through the hassle of grabbing a FP and returning later.. plenty of people just got on the 30-60 minute standby line, despite the availability of free fastpasses.

It is indeed pretty expensive for a short duration ride, especially for larger families. There will indeed be free spenders who have no hesitation to spend $100 to skip a 20 minute line.
But most people will look at the line, look at the value of the ride, look at the value of skipping the line...

What this all means: "If they sell briskly" -- It means that lots of people find it fairly priced. Frankly, if it wasn't worth the price, few people would buy it.
And if it is indeed vastly overpriced, then there will be very few takers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom