Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, it is. :)

One other thing I'm seeing stated quite a bit that I don't believe is accurate is the impression that there will be unlimited numbers of passes available through Genie+ and that's simply not true. While they may make it available, they absolutely will have limits on how many "lightning lanes" are available on each ride. If 20k people buy Genie+, not all 20k can get a pass for Peter Pan and completely take over it's line. There will be limits as to how many passes are available for each attraction.

Just like the original fastpass only had so many passes available for certain rides, and yes, even fastpass+ only had so many (though a ridiculously high percentage of a rides overall capacity) and Maxpass as well only had so many for each attraction at certain times, this will as well.

The big question- and the one that will determine whether this is a good thing or a horrible thing- is how much capacity for each attraction are they doing to devote to it? Will it be a modest amount, say 20% or numbers closer to what the original fastpass and MaxPass did? Or will it be the screwed up numbers that destroyed stand by lines like Fastpass+ did? That's something that none of us know and Disney hasn't given any information about yet. And until they do, we really don't know how well this work or not.

Oh, one other side note: I do find it interesting how upset people are over the fact that Disney is now going to charge an additional fee for something that every other park and chain has had additional charges for years now. Six Flags, Cedar Fair, Busch, Herchend, and Universal ALL charge for theirs. None of them offer it for free. I'm not sure why we would expect the most popular and crowded parks in the world to be any different.

I'm all about hating on their penny pinching, cutting services to squeeze every cent out of the guest trends as well. But this may be the one exception that really might not be that. We're going to really have to wait and see. And if it screws up the lines as bad as they have been, I'll be the first one up to say how bad it is. But I'm also going to wait and see if it might be an improvement over what it used to be.
Can you post the link to your video so I may watch it and not have to go through endless pages to find it again?

pdude81

Can you post the link to your video so I may watch it and not have to go through endless pages to find it again?
Follow the posts back. Should only take 2 clicks. If you haven't done this before, just click the quoted name in your post and then your quoted name on his previous post.

LittleBuford

A lot of people still feel the Disney iconography makes WDW the only valid vacation choice and reject Uni because they don’t like the brands or because of the outdated notion that it’s a thrill park - or simply because rejecting Uni is what Disney fans are supposed to do.
This is a very misleading characterisation of our discussion. Universal is a perfectly valid choice for those who enjoy it, and I never said or implied otherwise. It’s not a question of validity, but of taste and preference. Some of us simply like Disney more and don’t want what Universal has to offer.

Casper Gutman

This is a very misleading characterisation of our discussion. Universal is a perfectly valid choice for those who enjoy it, and I never said or implied otherwise. It’s not a question of validity, but of taste and preference. Some of us simply like Disney more and don’t want what Universal has to offer.
I don't think anything I said implied otherwise - it isn't a viable alternative for you, in part because you prefer the Disney IPs. That's fine, and its what I meant for my statement to convey.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
But more importantly you’re getting a much more accurate estimate of how many guests will be attending and who those guests will be.
Except they're not, because people aren't going to bother doing it.

I'm going down for Labor Day weekend and I'm not going to book a Park Pass until I wake up each morning and decide where I want to go.

FastPass+ gave me an incentive to tell them what park I'd be in 60 days in advance. Now, I have ABSOLUTELY no reason to opt into their stupid system. If it's not Christmas week or COVID-imposed capacity restrictions, I'm not in jeopardy of being shut out of the parks by choosing not to book a Park Pass ahead of time.

FastPass+ was the carrot. COVID capacity restrictions were the stick. Without either of those, Park Pass will tell them nothing.

Rickcat96

I'm going down for Labor Day weekend and I'm not going to book a Park Pass until I wake up each morning and decide where I want to go.

FastPass+ gave me an incentive to tell them what park I'd be in 60 days in advance. Now, I have ABSOLUTELY no reason to opt into their stupid system. If it's not Christmas week or COVID-imposed capacity restrictions, I'm not in jeopardy of being shut out of the parks by choosing not to book a Park Pass ahead of time.
Spot on

peter11435

You are an outlier. The vast majority of guests will book in advance. Most won’t realize that it is unnecessary most of the time. And for some using certain types of passes, it will be necessary far more than you realize.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
You are an outlier. The vast majority of guests will book in advance. Most won’t realize that it is unnecessary most of the time. And for some using certain types of passes, it will be necessary far more than you realize.
I think you're vastly underestimating how many people still buy same-day tickets in person at the front gates, first of all. Second of all, Disney isn't going to artificially cap capacity for passholders in some kind of grand conspiracy. We've already seen this even in reduced-capacity COVID time. AP Park Passes will sell out for a stretch, and then as the dates get closer, more availability magically opens up.

peter11435

I think you're vastly underestimating how many people still buy same-day tickets in person at the front gates, first of all. Second of all, Disney isn't going to artificially cap capacity for passholders in some kind of grand conspiracy. We've already seen this even in reduced-capacity COVID time. AP Park Passes will sell out for a stretch, and then as the dates get closer, more availability magically opens up.
I am well aware of how many guests buy same day tickets. It’s large number. Not a large percentage. And Disney is also well aware of that number and incorporates it into park forecast planning. And yes… Disney intends to artificially cap capacity for certain guest types and they have already done so in some situations.

pdude81

Seems like they are really going to start moving on this. It was about a month after they announce upcharges at DLP before it was enacted there, right? Hopefully they get right to it so we can figure out how this works on both coasts. Has anybody seen information on what would be in the IAS tier for DL or DCA? Haven't seen much information about the west coast

Lcur77

Hoping the rush to install the stickers means the rollout will be soon. Going down 3 weeks from today and hope this is out by then or while we are there. Got to believe long term they will replace the signs but doing the stickers is a way to get the system going sooner than later.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Hoping the rush to install the stickers means the rollout will be soon. Going down 3 weeks from today and hope this is out by then or while we are there. Got to believe long term they will replace the signs but doing the stickers is a way to get the system going sooner than later.
My info says it won't be live in Sep

pdude81

Construction-kachow.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom