Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

po1998

Being completely honest, I'm kind of surprised that so many people are shocked and surprised about the paid fastpass change. I mean it's pretty much been a known thing in these boards for months. Those in the know have been telling us this is coming. Anybody reading those threads and still believing otherwise we're just in denial.

The fact that Disney was one of the only theme parks in the entire world that had a line skipping system you didn't have to pay for rent it was on borrowed time. All theme parks nickle and dime you...

It seems a lot of people were somehow expecting "better" from Disney. Like they are supposed to be altruistic and do things for the enjoyment of people rather than their bottom line. They are a publicly treated company. At the end of the day they're going to do things for their profits. It might not always be nice, And quite honestly it might be a **** shortsighted, but it's what is going to happen.
It’s all about when everything at WDW increases($$$), while the overall experience decreases.

KrzyKtty

It’s all about when everything at WDW increases($$$), while the overall experience decreases.
I mean I hate to throw this lame response out, but that's life lately. Everything's doing the that. Especially everything owned by publicly traded companies. It doesn't necessarily make it the nice thing to do... But it's reality.

And yes I get that their whole response to Scarlett Johansson is hypocritical, and the little I know, I side with her on. But nothing Disney is doing is shocking... And I find out hilarious that so many people think that Walt himself would be so disappointed and not like all these new changes. At the end of the day, he was a businessman himself. His original system had everyone paying for each ride separately after paying to get into the park. So I don't think putting him on a pedestal is an answer either.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So sometime in the fall means October 1sr for implementing this along with the new ride opening?
No…NEVER try something new during an event. I’m guessing the week of Labor Day at the latest
Yep. Eisner would often go into the parks undercover and experience them like a guest would.
Yes…minor fuss

so did Don Tatum and card walker…
And some guy before them used to spend full days walking around/people watching in Disneyland

nobody named “Bob” has EVER been accused of doing anything like that…and it shows.

they spend more time picking out what shoes they want to pack for sun valley.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I mean I hate to throw this lame response out, but that's life lately. Everything's doing the that. Especially everything owned by publicly traded companies. It doesn't necessarily make it the nice thing to do... But it's reality.

And yes I get that their whole response to Scarlett Johansson is hypocritical, and the little I know, I side with her on. But nothing Disney is doing is shocking... And I find out hilarious that so many people think that Walt himself would be so disappointed and not like all these new changes. At the end of the day, he was a businessman himself. His original system had everyone paying for each ride separately after paying to get into the park. So I don't think putting him on a pedestal is an answer either.
Even though I just mentioned an instance….the “Walt would be appalled” is such a distraction.

walt would have bankrupted his company by 1975 if he didn’t chain smoke…If we’re honest

in a way he’s like James dean, jfk or Marilyn Monroe in that regard.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't know. This is probably too much of my natural personality. I tend to be a person who just rolls with the punches. I'm a realist, and everything that's happening has been expected and communicated on these threads for a while. Nothing was really a shock to my system 🤷.
Everything being done has been telegraphed everytime they’ve opened their mouth to bankers - which is all the bobs really do - for over a decade

KrzyKtty

Everything being done has been telegraphed everytime they’ve opened their mouth to bankers - which is all the bobs really do - for over a decade
I agree completely. I guess I'm just confused by the number of rose colored glasses individuals who seem to think that a Disney vacation is a public right that should be afforded by all 🤷. They throw around the word cost discrimination like it's an actual thing here. Maybe Disney's earlier marketing was a little bit too good, because people seem to have associated the business model of happiest place on earth with with their happiness. The number of people I have seen basically stating that Disney should hurt their bottom line and not seek profits where they can find them because it makes them unhappy is a little bit ridiculous. Just because it is the happiest place on earth does not mean that Disney is beholden to doing whatever makes them happy.

There are some publicly traded companies, few and far between, that seem to put more emphasis on their stakeholders than their shareholders, but Disney has never been one of those companies, and so many people acting like it has, is delusional.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree completely. I guess I'm just confused by the number of rose colored glasses individuals who seem to think that a Disney vacation is a public right that should be afforded by all 🤷. They throw around the word cost discrimination like it's an actual thing here. Maybe Disney's earlier marketing was a little bit too good, because people seem to have associated the business model of happiest place on earth with with their happiness. The number of people I have seen basically stating that Disney should hurt their bottom line and not seek profits where they can find them because it makes them unhappy is a little bit ridiculous. Just because it is the happiest place on earth does not mean that Disney is beholden to doing whatever makes them happy.

There are some publicly traded companies, few and far between, that seem to put more emphasis on their stakeholders than their shareholders, but Disney has never been one of those companies, and so many people acting like it has, is delusional.
Here’s what I’ll say…having a decent perspective over time:

the idea that anyone is “supposed to be there” has always been wrong and was never true.

however the counter is that Disney is not Exxon or GE…it’s a weird animal that isn’t found on the pages of a crappy Econ textbook.
There may be no company that sells their product more on emotion. I mean…coke sells caffeine.

they sell their emotional attachment.

so while it was never a right…they have had consistent periods were it was better value/affordable.

prior management had a better sense of that…for sure.

Last edited:

JusticeDisney

Why you asking. Would yoy really pay for that? I know I won’t. Wdw stinks a really bad right now and I hope that the guests push back/boycott so that mgmt knows they can’t take advantage of people.
Yup, I will one thousand percent pay for some of the rides, including Rise, FOP, Rat, and Tron and Guardians when they open. I certainly respect other people who are upset with this new system and aren’t willing to pay the money, but I’m not in that group for sure. My only real complaint with this system is that bookings can’t be made until 7am on the day of.

KrzyKtty

Here’s what I’ll say…having a decent perspective over time:

the idea that anyone is “supposed to be there” has always been wrong and was never true.

however the counter is that Disney not Exxon or GE…it’s a weird animal that isn’t found on the pages of a crappy Econ textbook.
There may be no company that sells their product more on emotion. I mean…coke sells caffeine.

they sell their emotional attachment.

so while it was never a right…they have had consistent periods were it was better value/affordable.

prior management had a better sense of that…for sure.
I definitely give you that. But I do find it funny that my not quite 13-year-old gets it better than most adults do. He's been hearing me explain the system to my husband and listening with attention. When I told him that people were really angry about it he said and I quote, "why? People get what they want in Disney gets what they want. Disney wants money 🤣"

Joeamc

Seems like the monkey paw curled on my desire to see ticket books again, but in a worse way than I thought possible up until this week. At least it's not as bad as I thought it'd be in the past week or so, but maintaining the current price and tacking on 15-20 dollars and even more on top of that?! Sheesh. I can only hope less people use this than used Fastpass+ or else it'll really become a "necessity" when visiting, not an actual "add-on".

You won't need Genie+ for the highest-tier rides, so to speak. We don't exactly know what all those rides are. I personally suspect it'll end up being one per park- FoP, Rise, GotG, and Tron. But I wouldn't be shocked if it got extended to other attractions or the former fireworks FP viewing areas for MK and Epcot.... All other rides and attractions that utilize a FP-esque system will be included with Genie+, though.
I don’t think it will be one pay per ride per park because they are allowing you to do 2 per day. So I would think at least 2 per park.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I definitely give you that. But I do find it funny that my not quite 13-year-old gets it better than most adults do. He's been hearing me explain the system to my husband and listening with attention. When I told him that people were really angry about it he said and I quote, "why? People get what they want in Disney gets what they want. Disney wants money 🤣"
That’s sad…no?
How long do you think this will stay at 15 bucks ----not long
It will be $25 within a year, kreskin

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yup, I will one thousand percent pay for some of the rides, including Rise, FOP, Rat, and Tron and Guardians when they open. I certainly respect other people who are upset with this new system and aren’t willing to pay the money, but I’m not in that group for sure. My only real complaint with this system is that bookings can’t be made until 7am on the day of.
The problem is nothing you pay for is “one off”…buy something and they’ll expect you to buy the next thing. Moving goalposts

I warned about “after hours” and it’s playing out in real time

Patcheslee

I will start by saying I completely understand charging $15.00 a day for offsite guests to use Genie+. However, passholders should be allowed to buy an annual use package and onsite guests should get Genie+ for free for the days they are onsite. The paid lightning lane use should be a charge or allow users to use points from their soom to be announced rewards program. If and only if they provide added services and benefits to their loyal and adoring fans will this change be the game changer they want and bring in the additional profits they desire.
This may be my way of looking at how I spend vacation money, but the way I look at it my family of 3 would cost me 2 weekly paychecks if we wanted to do 10 days with the paid attractions. The Genie+ alone would be half a paycheck. It's kinda hard to swallow.

KrzyKtty

That’s sad…no?

It will be $25 within a year, kreskin
Probably, but my son is a strange cookie. My son and I were joking around this morning and I jokingly told him, "Disney makes everything better." His epic response was, "And if it doesn't, you're not spending enough 🤷."

He turns 13 next month. I think he can stop practicing to be a teenager now because he seems to have it nailed down pat. Sarcasm has reached whole new heights lately.

KingdomofDreams

For me, it's actually not so much about them now charging for FP. Don't get me wrong, we're not wealthy. We save to go, on average, every other year and while we stay deluxe, enjoy a table service meal every day, and have done our share of fireworks dessert parties, I do try to save money wherever I can. But I understand Disney is a business and charging for FastPass seemed the logical thing to do from a business perspective. What I have a problem with is the plan itself. A vacation is to relax, unplug and enjoy. I do not want to have to be up every morning before 7:00 with the stress of worrying that we won't get access to the top ride(s) we came there to experience. I do not want to have my phone out all day long, watching the clock, trying to book and be where we need to be for the next ride access time. I do not want to add miles walking because we have to backtrack and crisscross the park returning to attractions we already visited and had to score a return time for because the queue was too long. I know we won't be required to do return times unless we choose to for most attractions, but the idea of waiting in hour plus lines for pretty much everything is hardly appealing. This convoluted, stress-inducing plan some genius at Disney has created is a nightmare.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree with you completely. And maybe at some point they will take things too far even for me. But they haven’t done that as of yet.
I’m not at any breaking point…but I most definitely have more stamina for this than most. But it’s like they are trying to “break” individuals down in sequence…with the assumption there’s more people with more money behind them. That’s blue ocean applied.

The problem is I don’t see it…neither do stats. The amount of people that will afford these trips is in decline.

they want whales? Well then that costs more…can’t sell plushies to the privileged forever.
Hard path to stay on. But slapphead doesn’t care…no longterm concern.

by the way…I’m Gonna send flowers so we fully make up. Make up is always the best 😎🌹

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Probably, but my son is a strange cookie. My son and I were joking around this morning and I jokingly told him, "Disney makes everything better." His epic response was, "And if it doesn't, you're not spending enough 🤷."

He turns 13 next month. I think he can stop practicing to be a teenager now because he seems to have it nailed down pat. Sarcasm has reached whole new heights lately.
I have 14 and 12…
Amen

it was matching Janie and Jack not that long ago

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom