News Disney Genie digital assistant app coming to Walt Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roy G. Dis

I'm fine with this. People who don't know what they're doing clog up standby lines which end up slowing the entire line. Anything that helps to redistribute the standby time down can only help everyone else trying to ride the same ride.

I'm also ok with paid FP as I only attend the parks every 18 months or so. I'd love to be able to jump the line for a premium price that people with more time at the parks aren't willing to pay.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
with all the data Disney has now... this "could" be very good at spreading out crowds during the day if done correct and with some AI

I wonder if it will also pop up notices about low wait times at a popular attraction, or trends or best time to ride a certain ride, etc. or even discounts at shopping etc.

so many things could be done with this.... but.... we'll see

Indy_UK

This is purely to shift crowds of the unorignised so it gives the impression that crowds are lower.

I wonder if this replaces MDE though

jaxj21

Terms and Conditions will be something like:

1. Disney Genie will grant three (3) wishes per day. Any FP+ or dining reservation counts as one (1) wish.
1a. You may not wish for additional wishes.
1b. 1a does not apply if you are able to pay for additional wishes.

2. Disney Genie can not grant the following wishes:
a. Cannot make someone fall in love.
b. Cannot bring someone back from the dead.
c. Cannot provide FP+ for FoP, SDD, or 7DMT.

Cmdr_Crimson

Terms and Conditions will be something like:

1. Disney Genie will grant three (3) wishes per day. Any FP+ or dining reservation counts as one (1) wish.
1a. You may not wish for additional wishes.
1b. 1a does not apply if you are able to pay for additional wishes.

2. Disney Genie can not grant the following wishes:
a. Cannot make someone fall in love.
b. Cannot bring someone back from the dead.
c. Cannot provide FP+ for FoP, SDD, or 7DMT.
FireShot%2BCapture%2B163%2B-%2BAladdin%2B%25281992%2529%2BFull%2BMovie%2BHD%2BOnline%2BF_%2B-%2Bhttps___hdeuropix.io_watch-movie_a.png

Allyp

In the Parks
Yes
I like this service even as a local. There are many times where on a Wednesday we decide to go to a park on a Saturday. To pick and choose what's left of dining and fastpasses is still a chore. It took me over an hour just to book breakfast and three fastpasses for a Friday morning last week. I hope with this system, that same scenario should take me less than 15mins.

DisneyJoe

I bet the Vaca Planners and Services are puckering over this. This is just step one. Think of how far the iPhone has come in just 11yrs from a capability stand point. Now, with machine learning and AI, coupled with the massive, property wide data options... this will end up being big, and cool.
No worries at all. MDE was released in 2013, look how far it has come since then and how stable it is...<sarcasm!>

Roy G. Dis

As late as 2016 you still had to go to a kiosk to book additional FPs. MDE has really come pretty far even since then..

ChrisM

Of course this will be monetized; although I'll buck the trend and say I don't see this as a bad thing.

I am assuming the following:

- There will be some level of "free" plan ahead Fastpass+ availability that will remain. Does it stay at 3? Reduce to 2?
- A certain allotment of same day, for-purchase Fastpasses will exist. Will this portion be taken from a reduction in the free Fastpass+ pool above? Will it be taken out of the "same day" Fastpass pool? Or is it already somewhat baked into the overall Fastpass availability and won't impact either?
- My biggest takeaway from this is that it will be a truly real time upcharge system, meaning the paid Fastpass options that will be offered will be priced based on specific demand for the individual attractions at that point in time. It may be $50 per SDMT Fastpass on an average attendance day at 10am, but it may be $150-$200 on a slammed afternoon. The prices may be eye-watering, but you get effectively immediate access.

This is going to be a goldmine. Don't underestimate the appeal of instant gratification in American society. Spontaneity returns! (For a price.)

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I bet the Vaca Planners and Services are puckering over this. This is just step one. Think of how far the iPhone has come in just 11yrs from a capability stand point. Now, with machine learning and AI, coupled with the massive, property wide data options... this will end up being big, and cool.

I can see in the future being able to opt into an evolving story with the Genie / guide, leading you on a very tailored and immersive story that spans the property.
It is a step towards the narrative story telling seen in HBO's WestWorld.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day.

Ah I see you’re assuming that Disney Skynet will work... how cute.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
We've made things so complicated that we're introducing a new app to help make things less complicated by adding another layer to your trip planning that will help untangle the complicated parts of planning a trip. Don't look at this as adding another layer or three onto the 7-layer cake we already baked up, think of this as more delicious icing that will help you spend more on your already-overpriced WDW vacation! ;)

"Hi, I'm the Disney Genie, I'm here to help!"

"Genie, I'd like to..." *App crash*

"Kids, we're going to Universal instead"

Hard pass.

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
Like many of you, I am utterly unimpressed with MDE and have no confidence in Disney's IT. I mean, just look at this thread - among others, I have advised folks to use InPrivate/Incognito mode, clear cookies and cache, and my favorite advice - have multiple browsers + your phone open in efforts to make ADRs and FPs.

But the guy that hammers this area is @TheGuyThatMakesSwords, who has been all over the wretched infrastructure. I'd love to get his take on this, and whether this is a complete rebuild, or it's just a band-aid on a bullet wound.

Regardless, I'll stick with @lentesta and Touring Plans. I love Disney, and I swing more toward Pixie-Duster than Doom-and-Gloomer, but their IT is so bad, and their motives so suspect, that I can't imagine this being useful to most of the folks that populate this board.

Last edited:

tissandtully

Like many of you, I am utterly unimpressed with MDE and have no confidence in Disney's IT. I mean, just look at this thread - among others, I have advised folks to use InPrivate/Incognito mode, clear cookies and cache, and my favorite advice - have multiple browsers + your phone open in efforts to make ADRs and FPs.

But the guy that hammers this area is @TheGuyThatMakesSwords, who has been all over the wretched infrastructure. I'd love to get his take on this, and whether this is a complete rebuild, or it's just a band-aid on a bullet wound.

Regardless, I'll stick with @lentesta and Touring Plans. I love Disney, and I swing more toward Pixie-Duster and Doom-and-Gloomer, but their IT is so bad, and their motives so suspect, that I can't imagine this being useful to most of the folks that populate this board.
I’m a highly technical person and I was unable to get the site to confirm a time for Oga’s at all, even made it into some times, but kept getting errors when finally confirming. I sent a very frustrated email to GR and all I got was a call back apologizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom