Disney forcing us to $pend even more at their re$ort$

What is the most outrageous of the outrageous price gouging that Disney is currently engaged in?

• Converting the FREE Fast Pass system to the PAID Genie+ with less benefits

• Increasing Annual Pass prices while slashing the benefits

• Eliminating FREE parking at the resorts and charging a per night fee

• Raising resort room rates dramatically and forcing guests to book a minimum of 2 nights

• Charging $5,000+ for the Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser experience

• Eliminating FREE Magic Bands for resort guests and charging for them instead

• ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Results are only viewable after voting.

SteveBrickNJ

Maybe consider spending less money and go to Busch Gardens Williamsburg Virginia
They have European themed sections such as: Ireland, Germany, France, England, Scotland and Italy
Theme Park = 422 Acres
Rides
Shows
Restaurants/Eateries
Shopping

If you are open to stepping back in time a few centuries, you could make a multiple day vacation by also visiting Colonial Williamsburg

Last edited:

SteveBrickNJ

Maybe consider spending less money and go to Busch Gardens Colonial Williamsburg.
The have European themed sections such as: Ireland, Germany, France, England, Scotland and Italy
422 Acres Theme Park
Rides
Shows
Restaurants/Eateries
Shopping

YES it is NOT Disney.
This suggestion is just for SOME OPEN MINDED PEOPLE to simply consider.

Lilofan

Maybe consider spending less money and go to Busch Gardens Williamsburg.
The have European themed sections such as: Ireland, Germany, France, England, Scotland and Italy
422 Acres Theme Park
Rides
Shows
Restaurants/Eateries
Shopping

I've been there when I was a kid, fun times. I heard the park will open in winter for the first time in its history!

Benjamin_Nicholas

Repeat after me: Disney does not care about you the guest, Disney wants to squeeze every penny out of you. Disney wants to charge you more and give you less. WHY because DISNEY IS A BUSINESS. DISNEY IS A CORPORATION. DISNEY HAS SHAREHOLDERS.

Like I said, they all take it so personally.

As if any business, small or large, doesn't want to make as much money as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goofyernmost

Because- bottom line- it's really always about the price of things.

You don't want to pay, whether you can afford it or not, and that's an issue of price.

Disney has shareholders as well as their personal bottom line. They will always price up to what the market will bear. COVID saw continued upward numbers for park attendance. They didn't need to crisis discount like most other businesses.

I say, good for them 👍

Frankly, It's their prerogative. This likely won't change anytime soon, so I say to anyone wanting to bemoan it to simply not go and find something else to obsess over. Disney fanatics seem to be some of the worst at taking every single change as a personal affront.

Repeat after me:

DISNEY IS A BUSINESS.
DISNEY IS A CORPORATION.
DISNEY HAS SHAREHOLDERS.
DISNEY WANTS TO TURN A PROFIT.

Thank you for coming to my TEDtalk.
Repeat after me...

DISNEY IS A BUSINESS THAT WAS STARTED SO FAMILIES COULD PLAY TOGETHER
DISNEY IS A CORPORATION AND THERE IS NOTHING THAT PREVENTS IT FROM BEING AFFORDABLE
DISNEY HAS SHAREHOLDERS THAT WILL NOT BE HAPPY WHEN DISNEY CHARGES ITSELF INTO OBLIVIAN
DISNEY MAKES A PROFIT ALREADY THAT IS IN THE BILLIONS OF DOLLARS AND DOESN'T NEED MORE

Thank you for coming to my fireside chat.

Goofyernmost

I’m a fellow teacher. None of us chose that career for the $$. You sound like a great dad and future granddad. I’m sure that when that day comes, you will find a way to make the family trip happen. It may not be 10 days or at the GF, but don’t fret. Also, I think this thread has made it sound like some things are worse than they are. I just checked prices for Memorial Day weekend, looking to see how expensive the values are on a high demand week. All Star is at $207 and Pop is at $251. I’m not saying that‘s great value for your money, but you’d have to stay at a deluxe Epcot/MK resort to hit $600+/night.
You also don't have to stay onsite at all, but it is still going to cost you a lot more to attend a park or actually do anything without additional costs added on.

UNCgolf

Like I said, they all take it so personally.

As if any business, small or large, doesn't want to make as much money as possible.

That's a simplistic take on running a business. There are plenty of businesses that don't want to make as much money as possible in the short-term because they know it would have a significant long-term effect on their profitability. They still want to make as much money as possible, but the "possible" part of that is weighed heavily by numerous factors other than sheer immediate revenue.

We have no way of knowing how this will all affect Disney (it could easily go exceptionally well and prove they were absolutely right to do what they're doing), but there's certainly been a shift in their overall corporate mindset.

We're also obviously only talking about one division of the company and not the entire Disney corporation.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

To say that a company has a limit of how much profit they should make is ridiculous. That's not how a business works.
That's how many honest and forward thinking businesses work. Business that are in it for the long haul care about their customers and want them to return. Con men work on a get whatever you can get now and run and that is exactly what Disney management is doing right now. They have set themselves up with parachutes that are guaranteeing life long riches and they will take their money and run no matter what happens to the business. That is the result of people that don't take their business seriously and only see it as a means to a personal riches end.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Standing by itself you are correct the above sentence is beyond silly and ignorant. I think the proper answer to your statement is why? Statements without any backup are nothing more then meaningless words.

Disney Parks in WDW hasnt raised its prices yet to the point where they are experiencing diminishing returns. Remember that they had only 30% of the guests they have had on average previous years, and yes they reduced offerings as well as headcount to have a positive balance sheet.

GimpYancIent

Disney Parks in WDW hasnt raised its prices yet to the point where they are experiencing diminishing returns. Remember that they had only 30% of the guests they have had on average previous years, and yes they reduced offerings as well as headcount to have a positive balance sheet.
With the offerings and pricing models in place an improvement in that percentage is really low.

Lilofan

That's how many honest and forward thinking businesses work. Business that are in it for the long haul care about their customers and want them to return. Con men work on a get whatever you can get now and run and that is exactly what Disney management is doing right now. They have set themselves up with parachutes that are guaranteeing life long riches and they will take their money and run no matter what happens to the business. That is the result of people that don't take their business seriously and only see it as a means to a personal riches end.
If the execs who run a company don't deliver the returns, profits, increasing share price to impress Wall Street and the company shareholders then their employment will be a short one . But Roy Disney engineered a shareholder revolt that helped oust Eisner about 15 years ago.

unmitigated disaster

Lightning Lane access is "optional" in the sense that you can choose to pay for it on top of your park admission, or not. There is no longer any kind of expedited queue access included in the cost of your park ticket. So your options are:

- You can pay for regular park tickets only, which means you'll be relegated to standby lines (and/or virtual queues, where applicable) exclusively, watching wealthier or profligate guests skip endlessly in front of you using Lighting Lanes (f/k/a the Fastpass Queues) all day. Depending on your mindset and whether you previously got a lot of use and enjoyment out of the "free FP+" system, this will make you feel cheated and resentful, demoralized and inferior, or just mildly annoyed. Disney the honey badger does not care: it already has your money.
Isn't this basically the Universal Studios model?

Archie123

So now Disney isn't being honest. 🤣

celluloid

Isn't this basically the Universal Studios model?

Not really. The Universal Express concept gets you bypassing the standby line at any time for the participating attractions of your choosing. With their top tier hotels you get unlimited express for the day you check and Through the day you check out. This becomes a great deal and no matter what express you buy, it is not scheduled for you. You choose when to use it.

eliza61nyc

Repeat after me...

DISNEY IS A BUSINESS THAT WAS STARTED SO FAMILIES COULD PLAY TOGETHER
DISNEY IS A CORPORATION AND THERE IS NOTHING THAT PREVENTS IT FROM BEING AFFORDABLE
DISNEY HAS SHAREHOLDERS THAT WILL NOT BE HAPPY WHEN DISNEY CHARGES ITSELF INTO OBLIVIAN
DISNEY MAKES A PROFIT ALREADY THAT IS IN THE BILLIONS OF DOLLARS AND DOESN'T NEED MORE

Thank you for coming to my fireside chat.
Disney Fading into "oblivion" isnt even close to being a reality.
Next, what they need is totally immaterial. A company that is in business to make only what it needs is called a non profit.
Disney is more than just the parks so they are still in business of bringing families together. Just tonight ABC which is owned by Disney was airing toys story 4 a very family oriented film.
How many folks took a vacation to wdw this year?? Someone obviously is affording it.
I think it shareholders the vast majority have it in retirement portfolios would strongly disagree with you.

I think one issue is folks still have this image of Disney being this small folksy small business run by the original founders overseeing the day to day operations. That is so far from the reality we might as well be talking about the distance to Uranus. Now from a quick Google search last year the company posted a loss, of course due to the pandemic but shareholders are not a forgiving bunch so they'll not be accepting forever but regardless, the company is not in the business to make sure everybody can have an affordable vacation.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom