Disney forcing us to $pend even more at their re$ort$

What is the most outrageous of the outrageous price gouging that Disney is currently engaged in?

• Converting the FREE Fast Pass system to the PAID Genie+ with less benefits

• Increasing Annual Pass prices while slashing the benefits

• Eliminating FREE parking at the resorts and charging a per night fee

• Raising resort room rates dramatically and forcing guests to book a minimum of 2 nights

• Charging $5,000+ for the Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser experience

• Eliminating FREE Magic Bands for resort guests and charging for them instead

• ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Weather_Lady

I can only suspect that many people return because a WDW experience has a learning curve. First time visitors get some of the whole experience, but see that there's a whole lot more to get out of it as well that they were unaware of or unprepared for. I've felt that way early on... next time I go it'll be better because I've learned more about the system/process and can make more of it 'next time'.
True. Not only is there a learning curve, but if you're someone who wants to try everything (or even just most) of what WDW has to offer, it can take several trips to do that, especially if you have kids that are too small to do some things the first time around. I think my family had visited three times over 6 years (for 5-6 days each time) before we could say we'd done almost every attraction and show and dined in all the restaurants that interested us.

Last edited:

JusticeDisney

Nobody is being forced to do anything. If you don’t like the way WDW is currently set up and charging for things, don’t go. It’s as simple as that.

Personally, I have zero problems with how things are big done. The increased costs and up charges are not unique to WDW. It is simply the way of the world, for better or for worse. I will still be vacationing at WDW and having the time of my life, all the while knowing it is going to cost me more than it used to.

Raineman

First, I'd like to address the "no one is forcing you" issue. It's true, no one HAS to go to WDW. But, for the people who want to go, and have been before, they have 2 options, neither of which are attractive: pay more to get the same experience as you've had before, or pay the same as before and get less of an experience than previously. Either way, less value for your $.
Second, if you do not want to pony up for WDW, but enjoy the Orlando/Kissimmee area, a much lower cost option would be to rent a vacation home, relax around the pool, and take day trips to the other attractions. We have done that once, and are planning it again for this March. The cost breakdown: for a 5 bed, 5 bath, 2800 sq ft villa with pool, for 10 nights, 7 people, $2300-$2700-the same price as 8 nights for 3 people at a moderate WDW resort room at 300 sq ft. Park tickets with park hopper for 7 days, 3 people: $2000; going to Kennedy Space Center, Medieval Times, go karts, Fun Center, etc for 7 people-less than $1000. Food for 3 people for 8 days at WDW restaurants: $1000-$1200 minimum; groceries and occasional dinner out for 7 people for 10 days, $400-$500. Total: WDW $5700-$6000, off-property vacation $4000-$4200 (WDW: $240-$250 per person per day, villa vacation: $55-$60 per person per day). If you have to have the Disney experience, then the villa vacation is not gonna work, but, if you're flexible, then it will save you lots of $$.

JusticeDisney

First, I'd like to address the "no one is forcing you" issue. It's true, no one HAS to go to WDW. But, for the people who want to go, and have been before, they have 2 options, neither of which are attractive: pay more to get the same experience as you've had before, or pay the same as before and get less of an experience than previously. Either way, less value for your $.
Second, if you do not want to pony up for WDW, but enjoy the Orlando/Kissimmee area, a much lower cost option would be to rent a vacation home, relax around the pool, and take day trips to the other attractions. We have done that once, and are planning it again for this March. The cost breakdown: for a 5 bed, 5 bath, 2800 sq ft villa with pool, for 10 nights, 7 people, $2300-$2700-the same price as 8 nights for 3 people at a moderate WDW resort room at 300 sq ft. Park tickets with park hopper for 7 days, 3 people: $2000; going to Kennedy Space Center, Medieval Times, go karts, Fun Center, etc for 7 people-less than $1000. Food for 3 people for 8 days at WDW restaurants: $1000-$1200 minimum; groceries and occasional dinner out for 7 people for 10 days, $400-$500. Total: WDW $5700-$6000, off-property vacation $4000-$4200 (WDW: $240-$250 per person per day, villa vacation: $55-$60 per person per day). If you have to have the Disney experience, then the villa vacation is not gonna work, but, if you're flexible, then it will save you lots of $$.
I don't disagree with what you're saying, but what you're saying applies to just about everything in life, not just WDW. There are very few things in this life where we are not now paying more than we used to for "the same thing." Just sayin'.

Raineman

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but what you're saying applies to just about everything in life, not just WDW. There are very few things in this life where we are not now paying more than we used to for "the same thing." Just sayin'.
True, but I think people look at vacations as maybe a bit of an escape from some of that, and it does seem like the cost of any kind of leisure activity has risen at a far greater rate than the necessities of life. Add the fact that wages have not risen at nearly the same rate, and people are having a hard time finding value in any $ they spend, even with necessities of life. I think most of us are frustrated at how much we have to spend on everything.

HM Spectre

Nobody is being forced to do anything. If you don’t like the way WDW is currently set up and charging for things, don’t go. It’s as simple as that.

Personally, I have zero problems with how things are big done. The increased costs and up charges are not unique to WDW. It is simply the way of the world, for better or for worse. I will still be vacationing at WDW and having the time of my life, all the while knowing it is going to cost me more than it used to.
If it were just increased costs due to inflation, this wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue to me (although it still matters).

My problem is that they're cutting corners like crazy on top of all the added costs. I'm not just paying more for the same experience, I'm paying more for an experience that has been watered down and less "magical" nearly every single time I've gone back. At some point, something has to give and for me, it's going to be about moving dollars off-property next trip.

To be clear, no one is forcing you to do anything. If you don’t like the prices, or just can’t fit it in your budget then you don’t go.

Are the prices a lot higher than they used to be? Yes. But what isn’t, right now? I work in retail and we have raised prices on a lot of items that are popular, mainly because of low supply and high demand. It’s just a business decision.
disney only wants the rich non smoking people and us middle and lowers just can't go anymore

Michaelson

Oh, I just see this like buying groceries these days.

Go out to buy your favorite box of cereal.

Currently you find the same size box, though brighter colors on the package, bigger price, less product inside than before.

You still LIKE the cereal, so you either roll your eyes and buy the cereal, put it back and try another brand, or walk out without buying anything.

Though super simplified, we make these decisions every single day if we're consumers.

We don't like it, but we do it.

Regards! Michaelson

Last edited:

RoadiJeff

It's time to send a message to Disney Mgmt..........we are NOT going..........
I've never been to Univeral.....gonna start instead of Greedy Mickey....alas
Prices over there are not any better, maybe even a bit higher. I visited both places for a week earlier this month.

Lilofan

If you don't go, many will go. The Epcot candlelight processional dinner and front seating packages at all performances sold out recently in a few minutes.

JAB

Many still are.

Many aren’t.

Lets see how far $hapek pushes it and the consequences. It’ll be a long term show.
I have a feeling you might be right. The choices they are making right now seem very short-sighted, and it just feels like Chapek is doing what my dad would've called "stepping over a dollar to pick up a penny." Whatever immediate gains they're seeing from the nickel-and-dime-ing and cost cutting, it could ultimately result in an overall loss in the long run.

Weather_Lady

Prices over there are not any better, maybe even a bit higher. I visited both places for a week earlier this month.
I think it depends on which prices you mean, if you're comparing Universal to WDW.

Food and merchandise? Yes, the prices are in the same range.

Multi-day tickets (or rather, a Seasonal Annual Pass, if one is smart and the blackout dates aren't an issue, since a 12-15 month 2-park seasonal annual pass costs less than a 2-day parkhopper at WDW) and hotel? Universal is significantly less expensive. As an apples-to-apples comparison, my family did a split trip between Universal and WDW two months ago in August, spending a total of 4 days and 4 nights at each, and having a similar balance of TS and CS meals at each. Our total pass/food/hotel cost for the 4-day Universal leg (staying at premium onsite hotels with unlimited express pass included, an amenity to which Disney can offer no comparator) was over $1,000 less than the 4-day Disney leg. We'd opted to stay at the Dolphin at WDW rather than at a regular Disney deluxe, or the disparity would have been closer to $1,750.

RoadiJeff

I think it depends on which prices you mean, if you're comparing Universal to WDW.

Food and merchandise? Yes, the prices are in the same range.

Multi-day tickets (or rather, a Seasonal Annual Pass, if one is smart and the blackout dates aren't an issue, since a 12-15 month 2-park seasonal annual pass costs less than a 2-day parkhopper at WDW) and hotel? Universal is significantly less expensive. As an apples-to-apples comparison, my family did a split trip between Universal and WDW two months ago in August, spending a total of 4 days and 4 nights at each, and having a similar balance of TS and CS meals at each. Our total pass/food/hotel cost for the 4-day Universal leg (staying at premium onsite hotels with unlimited express pass included, an amenity to which Disney can offer no comparator) was over $1,000 less than the 4-day Disney leg. We'd opted to stay at the Dolphin at WDW rather than at a regular Disney deluxe, or the disparity would have been closer to $1,750.
Two weeks ago, I spent slightly over $300 for a one-day ticket to Universal. That included a basic Express Pass, good for one time per ride, no park hopping. $132 for the ticket and $171 (including tax) for the Express pass. I know Disney was not offering any line skip options at the time but my Disney ticket cost me $109 the very next day.

Weather_Lady

Two weeks ago, I spent slightly over $300 for a one-day ticket to Universal. That included a basic Express Pass, good for one time per ride, no park hopping. $132 for the ticket and $171 (including tax) for the Express pass. I know Disney was not offering any line skip options at the time but my Disney ticket cost me $109 the very next day.
Respectfully, you spent more for your Universal ticket than your Disney ticket, simply because you chose to. If we're going to stick to apples-to-apples comparisons, a 1-day ticket to either Universal park starts at $109 -- precisely the same amount you spent for a 1-day ticket to a WDW park. So I guess I need to amend my statement, to the effect that if you just want to visit 1 park for 1 day at each property with a base ticket, then the price is the same.

However... you said in your original post that you'd "visited both places" -- Universal and Disney -- "for a week." As such, my assumption was that the relevant comparison was between multi-day tickets at each property, and not 1-day, 1-park tickets purchased a la carte. If we were comparing multi-day tickets sufficient to make up a week-long visit, you could have bought a 2-park seasonal annual pass at Universal for $349 -- about the same price as a 3-day park-to-park ticket at Universal, but $50 less than the price of a 3-day Disney 1-park-per-day base ticket and $180 less than the price of a 3-day parkhopper. Plus, the annual pass would entitle you to significant Universal hotel discounts and even some restaurant discounts, not to mention you could return to the Universal again for free, most days, for the next 12-15 months.

choosing-poorly.jpg

Last edited:

Sundown

WDW Magic could form a coalition with the other prominent fan sites (or do it themselves) and, and for a week or more...whenever the word "Disney" appears on their site (whether on their main pages or in forums)....it auto-corretcts to:

"Di$ney"

A most it could get some attention!😅

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom