Disney forcing us to $pend even more at their re$ort$

What is the most outrageous of the outrageous price gouging that Disney is currently engaged in?

• Converting the FREE Fast Pass system to the PAID Genie+ with less benefits

• Increasing Annual Pass prices while slashing the benefits

• Eliminating FREE parking at the resorts and charging a per night fee

• Raising resort room rates dramatically and forcing guests to book a minimum of 2 nights

• Charging $5,000+ for the Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser experience

• Eliminating FREE Magic Bands for resort guests and charging for them instead

• ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Goofyernmost

??? because the purpose of Disney is not to give you wealth or to win money. It's to provide entertainment, so I'm not sure that's a good comparison, did you ever go to wdw with the expectationsl of winning money?? the money path is supposed to be one way in exchange for an "experience ". Now last time I was in Vegas gambling was not included in the price of anything. YOU absolutely pay extra to play any game of chance.
Lastly and this is a question. If you don't park a car you don't pay a parking fee?? Correct? Last time I was in Vegas I paid the resort fee whether or not I parked or ate breakfast and what tickles me is they tax your resort fee😜
You pay a resort fee at Disney as well. It is just hidden like the parking fee once was. Now they put it out in the open and did the opposite of reducing the nightly rate. Listen, really you seem so bent on defending Disney, that's ok, some of us are probably coming from a different place then you are. You obviously have the cash available to pay the mind boggling charges that have just been recently added to along with the requirements just to get in one of those parks. I made it clear that I have been a intense fan of Disney Parks for almost 40 years. I didn't drive or fly from Vermont and drive from NC because I hated that place. It was my first choice in location. Every time my wife decided she wanted to go someplace else I, of course, would go and although I wasn't miserable, I always, always regretted going there instead of WDW.

I am really happy for you that you can afford to go there, I can no longer. I am still able physically, but not financially unless I die tomorrow and I am not planning that. Every nickel that they add onto the cost just puts me further and further away from ever getting there again. If you find paying that kind of money for a place to sleep, 5 star prices for 3 star food, emptying your pocket every time you turn around and paying that much more for so much less, then be my guest. However, please stop trying to convince me that Disney is now worthy of charging that much more just because they can. They make billions of dollars a year and I guess the aim is for trillions. Well, they squeezed this particular money pot dry and it is now up to you to pay the higher prices for lesser quality and make sure it maintains everything to your standards. I can't wait around for them to have some super specials that make it more affordable because I'm to old and cannot take the chance of over spending a fixed income.

JAB

Even with having to buy tickets for the various attractions added to the park ticket wasn't much at all

A Ticket: 10 cents
B Ticket: 25 cents
C Ticket: 50 cents
D Ticket: 75 cents
E Ticket: 90 cents
Paying per ride starts to add up, though. Adding even a short list of rides (Jungle cruise, Tiki room, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Country Bears, Mad Tea Party) would add $4.85, more than doubling your cost. You're also ignoring inflation. That $4.85 would be the equivalent of adding $33 to your ticket today for 6 rides, bringing the inflation-adjusted cost of a short day at MK in 1971 to $57. Which still makes 1983 a better comparison point for price increases because not only does the all-inclusiveness of the ticket make it a better apples-to-apples comparison, but the inflation-adjusted price is actually *cheaper* than 1971. Adjusted for inflation, the increase from that 6-ride day in MK would be a 91% increase, and the increases from a one-day ticket in 1983 would be 132%.

So yes, ticket prices have still more than doubled relative to inflation, but that's not 3000%. The relative value of the dollar matters when comparing price increases.

eliza61nyc

You pay a resort fee at Disney as well. It is just hidden like the parking fee once was. Now they put it out in the open and did the opposite of reducing the nightly rate. Listen, really you seem so bent on defending Disney, that's ok, some of us are probably coming from a different place then you are. You obviously have the cash available to pay the mind boggling charges that have just been recently added to along with the requirements just to get in one of those parks. I made it clear that I have been a intense fan of Disney Parks for almost 40 years. I didn't drive or fly from Vermont and drive from NC because I hated that place. It was my first choice in location. Every time my wife decided she wanted to go someplace else I, of course, would go and although I wasn't miserable, I always, always regretted going there instead of WDW.

I am really happy for you that you can afford to go there, I can no longer. I am still able physically, but not financially unless I die tomorrow and I am not planning that. Every nickel that they add onto the cost just puts me further and further away from ever getting there again. If you find paying that kind of money for a place to sleep, 5 star prices for 3 star food, emptying your pocket every time you turn around and paying that much more for so much less, then be my guest. However, please stop trying to convince me that Disney is now worthy of charging that much more just because they can. They make billions of dollars a year and I guess the aim is for trillions. Well, they squeezed this particular money pot dry and it is now up to you to pay the higher prices for lesser quality and make sure it maintains everything to your standards. I can't wait around for them to have some super specials that make it more affordable because I'm to old and cannot take the chance of over spending a fixed income.
It's all good, I tend to look at things like this with the song "turn, turn turn" in mind. To everything there is a season. I know at some point there will not be any value in what Disney offers at the price point and I'll move on. What I hope I don't do is denigrate a company because I can't afford their product.

What's ironic 25 years ago when Disney was so called affordable there was no way we could afford it. 2 kids, one salary and tuition loans and new business loans.

I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else of what is of value. Why would I? How anyone else spends their money has absolutely no effect on anything I do. Your view on the hotels, food or offering effects not another single solitary soul and the same thing goes for me.
But I will make a deal ill stop trying to convince you if that's how you see it, if you stop trying to convince me that Disney is the evil empire just because you can't afford it and that you're the only retiree that has to live on a fixed budget.
And thanks yes I will continue to enjoy my vacations

NickWilde

Bob "Cheapskate" Chapek, aka "Greedy Bob," aka "Bob Paycheck," is absolutely convinced that the best way to move the Disney parks forward is to squeeze every penny possible out of the guests while also sacrificing the detailed theming and top-tier dedication to guest experience that Disney was once known for. I don't want to spend my life savings on a five-day trip as more and more things are arbitrarily thrown on the chopping block and free services are locked behind a paywall. Until this money-grubbing moron steps down, I'm cutting myself off from the parks. It's no easy task, but the best way to get through his cold, hard heart is with your wallet

Last edited:

UNCgolf

The parking fees at Disney are egregious because they don't seem to serve any purpose beyond increasing revenue.

Most hotels that charge a parking fee do so because they have limited space available for various reasons. That doesn't mean that increasing revenue isn't part of it, but there's also a need to discourage use because they simply don't have enough space for everyone. Disney has no issues with availability -- their resort parking lots are never close to being full; they're often less than 50% full.

Lilofan

Bob "Cheapskate" Chapek, aka "Greedy Bob," is absolutely convinced that the best way to move the Disney parks forward is to squeeze every penny possible out of the guests while also sacrificing the detailed theming and top-tier dedication to guest experience that Disney was once known for. I don't want to spend my life savings on a five-day trip as more and more things are arbitrarily thrown on the chopping block and free services are locked behind a paywall. Until this money-grubbing moron steps down, I'm cutting myself off from the parks. It's no easy task, but the best way to get through his cold, hard heart is with your wallet
I know a few who feel the same. They instead have a contractor inside and outside their homes a few times a month doing home improvements and upgrades. Don't spend there, spend it somewhere else.

Last edited:

Lilofan

The parking fees at Disney are egregious because they don't seem to serve any purpose beyond increasing revenue.

Most hotels that charge a parking fee do so because they have limited space available for various reasons. That doesn't mean that increasing revenue isn't part of it, but there's also a need to discourage use because they simply don't have enough space for everyone. Disney has no issues with availability -- their resort parking lots are never close to being full; they're often less than 50% full.
Disney parking charges seem a bit overboard but it does increase revenue, but I've noticed a fewer less cars on the WDW roads ( and that's a good thing ) .

Goofyernmost

It's all good, I tend to look at things like this with the song "turn, turn turn" in mind. To everything there is a season. I know at some point there will not be any value in what Disney offers at the price point and I'll move on. What I hope I don't do is denigrate a company because I can't afford their product.

What's ironic 25 years ago when Disney was so called affordable there was no way we could afford it. 2 kids, one salary and tuition loans and new business loans.

I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else of what is of value. Why would I? How anyone else spends their money has absolutely no effect on anything I do. Your view on the hotels, food or offering effects not another single solitary soul and the same thing goes for me.
But I will make a deal ill stop trying to convince you if that's how you see it, if you stop trying to convince me that Disney is the evil empire just because you can't afford it and that you're the only retiree that has to live on a fixed budget.
And thanks yes I will continue to enjoy my vacations
I never said that Disney was an evil empire. I'm not as much criticizing Disney as I am trying to understand why anyone would think that the quality of the place has drastically improved to match the charges and why they no longer want families that are now having to pay for things that once were paid for with the price of admission. They have every right to charge whatever they want for their product.

And if they were even still offering what they once did back when you couldn't afford it at least it was something that we felt was possible with a little creative financing and saving. I was at least able to do that in the beginning and now I can't. I'm sorry if something that I have loved for the past 40 years is now no longer extended to me because they decided to charge "extra" for everything except the air we breath (which they will probably find a way to do before to long) I saved up for years to bring my entire extended family on a once in a lifetime trip in 2008. Eleven people that I paid transportation, housing and park admission. Spent months planning because back then it was flexible. A trip that cost me $10,000.00 dollars would probably now cost twice that if we wanted half a chance of seeing the most we possibly could. What has improved since 2008 that makes it worth that much more? (And I should note that wasn't even staying onsite.) It did involve round trip airfare from Vermont, three rental cars, a six bedroom villa with screened in pool, jacuzzi, playroom, laundry. flat screen color TV's in every room, full kitchen, dining room, living room, 4 bathrooms and computer room. eleven 7 day non-expiring admission tickets to whatever park we wanted to go to on any day we wanted to go to them and other things to numerous to even list.

But as you say, in the process of turn, turn, turn this may happen to you as well. You never know what life has in mind and excess cash can disappear in a literal heart beat. And if you get to the point where they arbitrarily increase costs to the extent that they just Genie'd us into you might find yourself a little upset yourself. If you get to that point, and I hope you don't, you will find yourself a little angry. Not because they raised prices but because you are now once again those people that like in the early days are right were you started, unable to afford it. And it didn't have to be. It wasn't like the Disney Company was on the verge of bankruptcy. But, in my mind, P.T. Barnum's famous saying, "There's a sucker born every minute" is a very large poster on the wall of the Board Room.

Last edited:

SteveAZee

True but again, we've been screaming this for years You don't remember the meltdown when the tickets went over $100 bucks? I specifically remember quite a number of posters saying that was it, no one would go. or how about when they started having after park hours parties? and yet I started looking at some dates for the merry Christmas party and quite a few are sold out.
Now the bolded is where the mouse world has the advantage, if (and that's a big if) they see any massive slow down they'll throw the magical word at us...Discount :D:p

I'm voting "leave it for the next guy". right now I don't see a massive dip within the next two years, while we here on this site revolt against these price hikes, I've got young mom in my development who have been home with the kiddies for over a year and have said they will give up a kidney NOT to have to wait in line with 3 youngins.
Yes, there's the gesticulating and rending of garments done here and on other boards, which (probably correctly) is a small blip, if anything, in how Disney views its guests.

I think there will be a gradual slowdown of attendance and spending. Perhaps another pandemic or recession will accelerate it too. My thinking is that once people sour on Disney because all they see is greed, which is the growing sentiment, discounts will only do so much. They'll need to spend more in marketing to get newbies, which is expensive. They'll need to convince people that Disney is worth it, but without the word of mouth, or the now-spoiled nostalgia, or the bitter taste left after so much exploitation... it will be tough for them to 'right the ship', which will take time and money.

LOL, I'm actually not as negative as I might sound about Disney, and WDW in particular. I will likely still go for quite some time, but my circumstances are probably different than most. I've spent a lot of time observing how companies, large and small, operate and there's truly nothing magical about Disney the corporation and I'm pretty pessimistic about Chapek in particular.

NickMaio

Ticket prices have risen more than 3,000% over Walt Disney World's history. When the Magic Kingdom first greeted guests in 1971, the cost to enter the theme park was $3.50 for adults, and $1 for children. In 2021 dollars, that would equate to roughly $24 and $6.75, adjusting for the rate of inflation.
Went in 1972 and parking was 50 cents and the trams were working
We went all through the 80's and 90's with my family growing up.
We would drive every year from Canada, Ontario.
The cost of going to WDW has risen far more than anything else in the last 30 years.
It's wild........

Lilofan

We went all through the 80's and 90's with my family growing up.
We would drive every year from Canada, Ontario.
The cost of going to WDW has risen far more than anything else in the last 30 years.
It's wild........
Many cars I see on I-95 make the long trip from Canada to Florida. It is about time USA is allowing vehicles from Canada to enter our country.

eliza61nyc

I never said that Disney was an evil empire. I'm not as much criticizing Disney as I am trying to understand why anyone would think that the quality of the place has drastically improved to match the charges and why they no longer want families that are now having to pay for things that once were paid for with the price of admission. They have every right to charge whatever they want for their product.

And if they were even still offering what they once did back when you couldn't afford it at least it was something that we felt was possible with a little creative financing and saving. I was at least able to do that in the beginning and now I can't. I'm sorry if something that I have loved for the past 40 years is now no longer extended to me because they decided to charge "extra" for everything except the air we breath (which they will probably find a way to do before to long) I saved up for years to bring my entire extended family on a once in a lifetime trip in 2008. Eleven people that I paid transportation, housing and park admission. Spent months planning because back then it was flexible. A trip that cost me $10,000.00 dollars would probably now cost twice that if we wanted half a chance of seeing the most we possibly could. What has improved since 2008 that makes it worth that much more. (And I should note that wasn't even staying onsite.) It did involve round trip airfare from Vermont, three rental cars, a six bedroom villa with screened in pool, jacuzzi, playroom, laundry. flat screen color TV's in every room, full kitchen, dining room, living room, 4 bathrooms and computer room. eleven 7 day non-expiring admission tickets to whatever park we wanted to go to on any day we wanted to go to them and other things to numerous to even list.

But as you say, in the process of turn, turn, turn this may happen to you as well. You never know what life has in mind and excess cash can disappear in a literal heart beat. And if you get to the point where they arbitrarily increase costs to the extent that they just Genie'd us into you might find yourself a little upset yourself. If you get to that point, and I hope you don't, you will find yourself a little angry. Not because they raised prices but because you are now once again those people that like in the early days are right were you started, unable to afford it. And it didn't have to be. It wasn't like the Disney Company was on the verge of bankruptcy. But, in my mind, P.T. Barnum's famous saying, "There's a sucker born every minute" is a very large poster on the wall of the Board Room.
Naah , because I've already been there done that. My hometown of NYC for instance. It long priced itself out of my budget especially in the real estate department, I still love the place but unfortunately we simply could not afford to live there. I should be angry??
I just never felt any company owed me the ability to afford their goods and imo saying "they made xys million " is big time entitlement.
Buy I've also admitted that my family has done other things so when that day comes we'll happily move on.
Not being able to afford health care? Yeah angry. Not being able to go to afford Disney? Not so much.

Disney management very well may look at me as a sucker, who knows but my most recent trip was last month and we felt that it was money well spent and plan on returning so who cares what they think. I control my budget and no one sent me an email that guarantees me the things I want and like at a great price.

We don't have any plans in getting Genie+ so of course that may be our line in the sand. I'll cross the bridge when I get to it.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Yes, there's the gesticulating and rending of garments done here and on other boards, which (probably correctly) is a small blip, if anything, in how Disney views its guests.

I think there will be a gradual slowdown of attendance and spending. Perhaps another pandemic or recession will accelerate it too. My thinking is that once people sour on Disney because all they see is greed, which is the growing sentiment, discounts will only do so much. They'll need to spend more in marketing to get newbies, which is expensive. They'll need to convince people that Disney is worth it, but without the word of mouth, or the now-spoiled nostalgia, or the bitter taste left after so much exploitation... it will be tough for them to 'right the ship', which will take time and money.

LOL, I'm actually not as negative as I might sound about Disney, and WDW in particular. I will likely still go for quite some time, but my circumstances are probably different than most. I've spent a lot of time observing how companies, large and small, operate and there's truly nothing magical about Disney the corporation and I'm pretty pessimistic about Chapek in particular.
I actually think the outside economy will force Disney's hand. After the shutdown folks had pent up energy and money.
Now I think with the cost of groceries, fuel and everything else going through the roof, I think that will cause folks to reconsider kicking out that kind cash for Disney.

Lilofan

I actually think the outside economy will force Disney's hand. After the shutdown folks had pent up energy and money.
Now I think with the cost of groceries, fuel and everything else going through the roof, I think that will cause folks to reconsider kicking out that kind cash for Disney.
I think also families may need to be inventive and more open minded when it comes to eating out ( limited menus, hours due to labor shortage to include food products ) and buying items in grocery stores due to less items on shelves or their usual favorite food items no longer on shelves.

runnsally

Also don’t need to give a cut to travel agents and booking sites for things like parking and resort fees.

SteveAZee

I think also families may need to be inventive and more open minded when it comes to eating out ( limited menus, hours due to labor shortage to include food products ) and buying items in grocery stores due to less items on shelves or their usual favorite food items no longer on shelves.
This is part of why I'm buying back into DVC. Full kitchens. I like to cook, as does my son-in-law, so eating out will be done sparingly and for entertainment only, not because it's great food at a reasonable price. Our last trip we had ADR's for most lunches and dinners, and it was too much, both for $ and for the pile of leftovers accumulating in the fridge. I can feed the six of us for what one of us would pay for dinner. Costco helps too. 😁

eliza61nyc

+100% we haven't been eating out a lot not because of cost but restaurants in my neck of the woods haven't been able to bring their menus back up to speed. We've been seeing places with 4 items on the menu. Yikes.

RoadiJeff

I heard a theory about the parking fees a few years back when Disney first started imposing them. Someone said they might be doing it to discourage guests from arriving in their own vehicles where they could more easily head over to Universal for a day or somewhere else besides Disney during their stay. If they are at the Disney resort and they have to rely on Disney transportation they are trapped into doing strictly Disney things.

Makes sense to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom