Disney for New Years, do we think crowds will still be limited?

Billie borella

I just booked a small trip for the 31st through the 3rd. I have never been over Christmas because it is sooo busy but I thought this might be the year to do it. Does everyone think crowds will be of course busy but somewhat under capacity still?

Capsin4

I just booked a small trip for the 31st through the 3rd. I have never been over Christmas because it is sooo busy but I thought this might be the year to do it. Does everyone think crowds will be of course busy but somewhat under capacity still?
We’re the same but are going over Christmas this year. It’s hard to say but I think it’ll pick up from now. I really don’t think it’s going to be normal then but busier for sure.

They should be releasing fall/winter discounts soon so that might be a tell of what they’re seeing. I was really surprised at the availability for Christmas across the resorts that are open. Looks like lots of DVC points are available to rent too.

Universal has rolled out their AP discounts through Dec 26th and they’re significant.

Upvote 0

Wendy Pleakley

Nobody can give you a definitive answer to this question.

In the absence of a vaccine, will things be back to normal? It seems unlikely.

What will capacity limited crowds look like? Unclear. Disney hasn't released numbers, but they're still below their new capacity limits right now. Perhaps they'll reach those limits at Christmas time. Perhaps those limits will have inched upward by then. Perhaps wait times will be higher than ever due to social distancing.

My guess is things will be quieter than the typical Christmas season, but it's impossible to say.

Upvote 0

Pooh'sBuddy

We're going right before Christmas, and I've been wondering the same thing. The current state of affairs has taught me to be prepared for any changes and don't count on anything being normal. My biggest concern is whether WDW and Uni will have to shut down again.

Upvote 0

Disstevefan1

I will make my guess, because we all can only guess. As we all know historically this time of the year it’s insanely MOBBED at the parks.

Not this year.

The same rules we see today will be in place including park reservations.

In my opinion you will have a great time and be able to experience close to empty parks during one of the most busiest time of the year.

No fireworks or parades, but who cares, you will have a great time!!!!!

Upvote 0

DisNerd86

We have a week-long trip booked for this New Year's after going last year at the same time and having an amazing trip. We made our reservations for POP just before Disney closed everything down. Obviously we expect things to be drastically different, and we are up in the air about going at all. At least having this trip booked has given us something to look forward to and "plan" (we have park pass reservations set up...not much else to do I guess). My guess, like others here, is that things will be slower than normal but busier than right now. Since my husband and I both are working from home right now, we feel like if we do decide to go we can just come back and quarantine for 10-14 days after and probably be fine. We've also been "mask training" (for us and our 3 year old) to get in the habit of wearing them outside for longer stretches and finding what is most comfortable. The idea of being at Disney for New Year's without shoulder to shoulder crowds is super enticing - just kind of waiting to see what risk level will be as we get closer.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

I'm expecting crowds to be lower than in normal years but still busier that what is being seen now. Thanksgiving and especially Christmas and New Years has enough of a draw and numbers of guests traditionally are attracted to the parks during those seasons that even with whats going on, they will likely chance a trip. People are people and they will continue to value celebrating and partying major events. The parks will still be decorated to the nth degree, will still display the beauty its known for and Disney needs to keep moving on. The factor in how much will be allowed will be how Disneys limiting numbers and the type of events they are willing to allow for those who show up.

Upvote 0

Dave B

Just speaking the truth, sorry if you don't like it, just look at the numbers, they do not lie, there is no way that Disney is not going to avoid another shutdown, if we can't even keep bars and restaurants open, now schools are not even going to open, how is Disney going to stay open thru this, not to mention, attendance isn't even hitting capacity, even with reduced capacity numbers, they have not had to turn anyone away yet, that's not good news for Disney, just being real

Upvote 0

DisNerd86

Just speaking the truth, sorry if you don't like it, just look at the numbers, they do not lie, there is no way that Disney is not going to avoid another shutdown, if we can't even keep bars and restaurants open, now schools are not even going to open, how is Disney going to stay open thru this, not to mention, attendance isn't even hitting capacity, even with reduced capacity numbers, they have not had to turn anyone away yet, that's not good news for Disney, just being real
I think that's a pretty fair assessment. We have been operating on the "doubt they are gonna be open, nothing lost by hoping" attitude about it. Not much to be excited about these days so we take the bright spots where we find them I suppose. My biggest hope for New Year's at Disney is that, whatever it looks like, it is safe for the people who work there and for guests. If being safe at that point means being closed, I hope the company does the right thing and shuts down.

Upvote 0

Billie borella

Original Poster
Me too... I have it planned with the assumption I will cancel like I did for August. Although now that the dates are here and Disney looks safe, I wish I would have kept them. Lol My hope is lowered capacity still even if that mean more normal traffic just not “New Years” traffic. I still think it will
Be beautiful

Upvote 0

Wendy Pleakley

No reason to think New Years won't look similar to now.

Large gatherings are unlikely to resume by then, so I would guess that theme parks will not have NYE fireworks or other events, and will in fact close well before midnight.

Upvote 0

RememberWhen

We canceled our Christmas/New Year’s stay. Either it will be crowded, which doesn’t seem safe, or it will be super limited still because it’s not really safe to get there.
We still have a cruise scheduled for February, but I’m not expecting that to work out. We’ll try again let 2021.

Upvote 0

Dave B

Me too... I have it planned with the assumption I will cancel like I did for August. Although now that the dates are here and Disney looks safe, I wish I would have kept them. Lol My hope is lowered capacity still even if that mean more normal traffic just not “New Years” traffic. I still think it will
Be beautiful
So I am a naysayer, but YOU CANCELLED, isn't that hypocrisy at its bets?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom