Disney Family Museum

rob0519

Here are some pictures we took on our trip two years ago. Keep in mind pictures are not allowed to be taken on most areas of the museum. The last photo isn't mine. I grabbed it off the web. Lucas Arts has offices on the Presidio as well and in one of their courtyards is a fountain with a picture of Yoda. It's not well publicized, but a nice photo opportunity. It's also not real easy to find.

P9230205.JPG
P9230203.JPG

P9230210.JPG

P9230212.JPG

P9230216.JPG

yoda Lucas Arts.jpg

rob0519

I'll be tagging along on Hubby's business trip next month... this is where I'll be spending a bunch of my solo time!

I hope you have a great day at the museum. If you're looking to have lunch before or after your visit, try the Transit Cafe. It's a short walk from the museum, is reasonably priced, food tastes great and if you sit outside you have a nice view of the bay as well.

MotherofaPrincessLover

I am not happy I did not know about this place while I was in SF last month. I have no idea if I'll ever be going back to SF so I'm really disappointed I didn't get to see this.

TP2000

Is it similar to One Man's Dream at all?

Barely. One Man's Dream is a rather cheaply done and very abbreviated version of what is presented at the Walt Disney Family Museum. And then the TDO executives made sure it's scrubbed clean of any hint of non-politically correct material or element of tension or unsanitized emotion. One Man's Dream is a cheap-n-easy exhibit safe enough for sheltered third graders who haven't had their snack yet.

An analogy: Think of One Man's Dream as a 60 second YouTube video of cats falling off a bookshelf you view on your computer, compared to the Walt Disney Family Museum as the full two and a half hour Tecnhicolor release of Mary Poppins seen at Grauman's Chinese Theater.

MerMom1981

You can actually take pictures in the museum now. You just need to keep the flash off.

I took a ton while I was there, but it wasn't enough! They're also lame smart phone shots. I didn't think to bring my camera, cause I didn't think it was allowed. Next time!

I'm working on a TR with what I've got

AllydoesDisney

Barely. One Man's Dream is a rather cheaply done and very abbreviated version of what is presented at the Walt Disney Family Museum. And then the TDO executives made sure it's scrubbed clean of any hint of non-politically correct material or element of tension or unsanitized emotion. One Man's Dream is a cheap-n-easy exhibit safe enough for sheltered third graders who haven't had their snack yet.

An analogy: Think of One Man's Dream as a 60 second YouTube video of cats falling off a bookshelf you view on your computer, compared to the Walt Disney Family Museum as the full two and a half hour Tecnhicolor release of Mary Poppins seen at Grauman's Chinese Theater.
Well I like One Man's Dream but I'm sure the museum s way better

Ralphlaw

We went there the one day of the week that it's closed (Tuesday I think). Oh well, gotta leave something for next time. We did get to the ILM lobby down the road with Yoda, etc . . . Yeah, the Presidio is way cool. I wish I was there right now.

216bruce

We are going to SF starting tomorrow and will be visiting the WDFM on an Adventures by Disney trip. They have, from what I can tell, about two hours planned at the museum, which I'm sure isn't enough time for a real 'Walt nerd'. Can anyone advise me as to how much time is reasonable to visit and feel that you've gotten a fair amount of time there. We have some free time in the itinerary and would love to go back on the trip. How much more will we need?

TP2000

We are going to SF starting tomorrow and will be visiting the WDFM on an Adventures by Disney trip. They have, from what I can tell, about two hours planned at the museum, which I'm sure isn't enough time for a real 'Walt nerd'. Can anyone advise me as to how much time is reasonable to visit and feel that you've gotten a fair amount of time there. We have some free time in the itinerary and would love to go back on the trip. How much more will we need?

Two hours probably won't be enough time for someone genuinely interested in Walt Disney. That's how much time I allocated for my first visit four years ago, and it wasn't enough. The building looks deceptively small from the front entrance, too.

If you really want to go through every exhibit, read most of the explanatory text next to the displays, and be able to pause and take in some of the more notable and rare objects, you'll need three hours.

If you want to do all that, plus see one of the movie presentations in the basement theater (shows vary, not sure what's going on currently) and stop for a snack at the café and spend 15 minutes perusing the gift shop, you'll need four hours.

Four hours is safe for a true Walt nerd, like many of us here are. And if you get done before four hours, there are plenty of other things to do near the Walt Disney Family Museum. Heck, just strolling the grounds of the Presidio and taking in the fabulous views is a wonderful time killer.

Walt Disney Family Museum - In The Shadow of the Golden Gate
WDFM_Disneyfied_447x336.jpg

216bruce

Two hours probably won't be enough time for someone genuinely interested in Walt Disney. That's how much time I allocated for my first visit four years ago, and it wasn't enough. The building looks deceptively small from the front entrance, too.

If you really want to go through every exhibit, read most of the explanatory text next to the displays, and be able to pause and take in some of the more notable and rare objects, you'll need three hours.

If you want to do all that, plus see one of the movie presentations in the basement theater (shows vary, not sure what's going on currently) and stop for a snack at the café and spend 15 minutes perusing the gift shop, you'll need four hours.

Four hours is safe for a true Walt nerd, like many of us here are. And if you get done before four hours, there are plenty of other things to do near the Walt Disney Family Museum. Heck, just strolling the grounds of the Presidio and taking in the fabulous views is a wonderful time killer.

Walt Disney Family Museum - In The Shadow of the Golden Gate
WDFM_Disneyfied_447x336.jpg
Thanks. We have a few hours on the day before the visit listed on the itinerary. We may make two trips. I appreciate the helpful advice.

MerMom1981

I took my time exploring and stayed for a screening of Peter Pan and I think it was about 3 1/2 hours.
I felt like I really experienced the museaum, but I could still go back and wander for an hour or two :). Especially my favorite room on the second floor. There's a screen wrapped around the ceiling line than has the feel of a film strip. They ran images of sketch art and live models with the final film they inspired... I could spend an entire hour in there.
Oh! And there are touch-screen tables in the corners with an encyclopedia of Disney information. OK, two hours

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom