Disney executives have come up with the answer to rock bottom Cast Member morale

Lilofan

This is too complicated of an issue to just write a paragraph on a web form and leave it at that. True, some minimum wage jobs were never meant to be a lifelong career such as McDonald’s, Burger King, fast food, etc unless of course you planned on going up the ladder and possibly getting a job running a few franchises or going up the corporate level.

As for Walt Disney World cast members, I still feel they are vastly under paid for what the company charges per guest and what they expect their cast members to do. I just can’t believe that we’re supposed to close our eyes to this issue and not try to do anything reasonable here. Without those cast members the Disney theme parks don’t exist.

On Twitter yesterday I saw somebody advocating $28 an hour minimum wage and I don’t think they thought that through too well or understand the consequences involved in that. I’ve see some very good posts on both sides of the issue was brought up here. I just wish that we had some clear solutions that would work for everybody involved because if you go too crazy with the minimum wage, businesses will cut back even further, less jobs available, and the let’s do more with less approach will be in effect. To be honest I don’t see any easy solution to this at all.
If some think they are underpaid, does one consider the free theme park passes for cast and their families/ friends one can use multiple times a year?

Smiley/OCD

What I hope will happen soon... and I think is beginning to happen is more people are able to work for themselves.

There are lots of SBA loans and grants for young entrepreneurs to start small businesses and populate old downtown shops.

The small local coffee shop is family owned, pays their employees very well and has virtually no turnover. Plenty of regulars customers like me will gladly pay a little more than Starbucks for good quality coffee.

That, plus more privately owned businesses like in-n-out that pay their employees higher than average and only promote from within. That’s the way to do it. Every manager at in-n-out makes 6 figures and started at the bottom and worked every position in the restaurant. That’s how people should be expected to get better pay, but staying with a good company and learning how the company works from the ground up.

But this has now gotten off topic of Disney. Sorry!
YOU JUST AGREED WITH WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING....Get the job, learn everything you have to and work your way up to a better position. The mom & pop local business has no turnover because THEY CAN'T FIND ANY HELP!! I don't know where you live, but here in NJ, you can't travel down any road for a mile without seeing MULTIPLE help wanted signs...EVERY mom & pop diner, restaurant, etc. I go into all have signs that read "please be patient with our lack of service...we are understaffed, and are looking for help in ALL positions...tell a friend" Wawa here in NJ is offering a $500.00 sign on bonus for gas attendants!! The same job I had at 14 for $2.35/hour! I'm sorry, we will agree to disagree, but a gas attendant, a Dollar Tree cashier, a Mickey D's burger flipper OR the CM selling me my overpriced bottle of Desanti water does NOT need to earn a "living wage" when there are MILLIONS of better paying jobs available at this time.

TrainsOfDisney

YOU JUST AGREED WITH WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING....Get the job, learn everything you have to and work your way up to a better position. The mom & pop local business has no turnover because THEY CAN'T FIND ANY HELP!! I don't know where you live, but here in NJ, you can't travel down any road for a mile without seeing MULTIPLE help wanted signs...EVERY mom & pop diner, restaurant, etc. I go into all have signs that read "please be patient with our lack of service...we are understaffed, and are looking for help in ALL positions...tell a friend" Wawa here in NJ is offering a $500.00 sign on bonus for gas attendants!! The same job I had at 14 for $2.35/hour! I'm sorry, we will agree to disagree, but a gas attendant, a Dollar Tree cashier, a Mickey D's burger flipper OR the CM selling me my overpriced bottle of Desanti water does NOT need to earn a "living wage" when there are MILLIONS of better paying jobs available at this time.
No, the coffee shop has plenty of employees. They never laid anyone off during covid even when they had to close the store for indoor and outdoor seating (takeout only) - they still paid 2 workers every day. There reward for not laying them off? They still have plenty of great employees who know just how I like my coffee!

I don’t think we agree at all. In-n-out starts at a higher than normal wage and continues to increase your salary the longer you stay at in-n-out. If you work your way up to store manager you will be making 6 figures which is way more than a typical fast food manager makes.

In-n-out’s reward for paying more? Some of the highest per store profits of any fast food restaurant.

themarchhare

a gas attendant, a Dollar Tree cashier, a Mickey D's burger flipper OR the CM selling me my overpriced bottle of Desanti water does NOT need to earn a "living wage"
giphy.gif

ANYWAYS.

--

Pathetic. I'm glad I'm supporting the company down-the-road more financially than Disney lately.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
The small local coffee shop is family owned, pays their employees very well and has virtually no turnover.

"very well" - but are they "living wages"?

That, plus more privately owned businesses like in-n-out that pay their employees higher than average and only promote from within. That’s the way to do it. Every manager at in-n-out makes 6 figures and started at the bottom and worked every position in the restaurant. That’s how people should be expected to get better pay, but staying with a good company and learning how the company works from the ground up.
And how many manager jobs are there to go around? And all the assistant managers, leads, and workers below them? No where near that kind of money... and... not 'living wages' either. So when even a great company like In-N-Out can't hit the magic utopia... what does that say?

TrainsOfDisney

"very well" - but are they "living wages"?
I’m guessing yes - with tips. But I don’t know for sure.
And how many manager jobs are there to go around? And all the assistant managers, leads, and workers below them? No where near that kind of money... and... not 'living wages' either. So when even a great company like In-N-Out can't hit the magic utopia... what does that say?
Well they start above average for fast food and each promotion (7 levels) gets a pay bump. They also provide benefits but Disney provides benefits for full time as well which is great.

What’s your solution? Nobody should world fast food? Haha

flynnibus

Premium Member
I’m guessing yes - with tips. But I don’t know for sure.

You really think a coffee shop clerk is making $100/shift in tips?
If they work 6 days a week, 40hr, 52 weeks... lets say they get paid "above avg" and get $15/hr. $31.2k a year. So they need another 25k plus based on what numbers people are throwing around.. That's $80 a shift they need in tips EACH. Hope you're throwing them twenties :)
Well they start above average for fast food and each promotion (7 levels) gets a pay bump. They also provide benefits but Disney provides benefits for full time as well which is great.

So we still have 'good companies' that don't pay living wages for all... and on top of that most of their workers aren't full time either. So if they are a model to follow... obviously the desired state is a lot further away then people want to believe.

What’s your solution? Nobody should world fast food? Haha
Drop the charade that all work demands 'living wages'. Work can't cost more than supported by the value it delivers. Something the utopians keep forgetting.

TrainsOfDisney

and on top of that most of their workers aren't full time either.
They provide benefits for part time as well. I was trying to be nice to Disney :)

As to the coffee shop math... I’m not saying they need $50k a year. I’m not sure what the magic number is. Plus if they are like me free coffee alone is going to add up!

mhaftman7

Wow. So many points of view here. My two cents. No one has the RIGHT to a living wage. Sorry. If you want a living wage, you need to EARN it. If you are an entry level employee at ANY business, what experience, business knowledge, business related skills do you have to justify your value? Chances are the answer is: NONE. People accept positions for one of two reasons ultimately: short-term or long-term. Short-term people accept a position because they need the money. They settle for a guaranteed pay check. You are getting paid for your relatable experience. You then CHOSE to accept those responsibilities. No one forced you to apply or accept the position. Long-term people are making lateral moves, or in some cases step down, to play the long game. Better chance for advancement, better company perks, better work/life balance, etc.

To the person who was stating about excessive help wanted signs and not being able to keep employees. RIGHT NOW they are not necessarily the same thing. With people making more on unemployment than they did working, what’s the motivation to go back to work. That’s not a living wage argument, that’s a motivation, work ethic argument. You don’t think once the extra money runs out, because it will, that these same people won’t be in the same, if not worse, boat they were before? Do you honestly believe any employer that KNOWS people have been hiring en masse for months isn’t going to ask why an applicant has zero work history been March of 2020 and July/August and so forth of 2021/2022 and so forth? I’d say that person didn’t want to work. I’ve known people take jobs in a completely different career field or even Uber/Lyft to show stability and keep money coming. They are mowing going back to their original field because the option is there.

Sorry for the rant.

mhaftman7

So we still have 'good companies' that don't pay living wages for all... and on top of that most of their workers aren't full time either. So if they are a model to follow... obviously the desired state is a lot further away then people want to believe.

Drop the charade that all work demands 'living wages'. Work can't cost more than supported by the value it delivers. Something the utopians keep forgetting.
But how many of these types of workers require a “living wage” job. How many of these people are the primary income? There are a significant number of workers who take a lower responsibility career with less pay because they can. In this scenario, how do you know that the worker’s partner/spouse doesn’t make $100k per year and that $30k the worker makes isn’t just fun money so they can pay for “wants”? Maybe the worker lives at home with his/her parents? You can’t say every situation is the same. Bottom line: You accept the salary or you don’t. It’s not on the employer to make sure your day to day expenses are met.

eliza61nyc

O/T,. A little humor to lighten up

My nephew called me last night to tell me he got a part time job at Lincoln financial field. I told him...
1. Ask around and see if it can turn into full time and what you need to do to get the high paying job. AND forget living wages....
2. Can you get tickets to the Eagles game😜

StaceyH_SD

1. CA’s minimum wage goes up to $15 next year, though many localities already have $15 or higher.

2. Here’s a story about a pizza chain that is somehow able to pay its employees $16/hr, stay in business, and not charge $50 for a pizza. Crazy!

3. In San Diego county restaurants aren’t cutting their staff or their hours to pay minimum wage. Some restaurants do add a 3-4% surcharge to your bill to “cover the cost of increased wages”. They should just raise their menu prices and be honest about it but whatever.

4. CA we doesn’t have tipped minimum wage. Servers make the same minimum wage as people working at Target. Or the Dollar store.

5. Minimum wage should allow a person to get by with rent, basic bills, and food. For example, if Kroeger can do a $1 billion buyback for shareholders and raise the CEO’s pay 45% to $20.7 this year, they can afford to pay their employees a decent wage, not cut their pay and close stores out of spite.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom