Disney executives have come up with the answer to rock bottom Cast Member morale

lightguy

90% of major corporate business look at their employees as a COST of doing Business and business 101 says if you cut the COST to do business then you increase profit.
I don't think you should limit it to just major corporations...plenty of people look at public sector employees (government employee's, teachers, etc.) the same way. One of the local school systems here just gave multi thousand dollar bonuses to administrators (I think nurses got it too...and they certainly did deserve it) and gave the teachers "challenge coins". :banghead:

Lilofan

90% of major corporate business look at their employees as a COST of doing Business and business 101 says if you cut the COST to do business then you increase profit.
In the management mindset, it is nothing new that " do more with less " and when that works keep finding more ways is status quo. Jobs in reality are being replaced with automation everywhere one looks which lowers labor costs and increases profits.

jennfinan

Listen, this stuff might be eyeroll inducing, but it is not new nor unique to Disney. When I was taking HR classes in college in the 90's, they were talking about how employees are not motivated by pay, they're motivated by recognition and praise and things that make them feel part of a team. It was garbage then and it's garbage now, but it's definitely not something Disney has invented.
Yes.... Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs but I don't think that you recall the rest of the premise/base of the pyramid. In order for increases in pay to no longer be a significant motivator, the pay level has to first cover all of the person's basic needs for food, shelter, being able to enjoy certain basic things in life and $15/hr simply doesn't do that, particularly from what I hear about the cost of living in the Orlando area.

Trauma

In an industry such as Disney who's bread and butter is customer satisfaction one would think a work force who deals with those customers (on a daily basis) would be treated as an asset not just cost of doing business. When attendance drops maybe Disney will rethink their business model
That won’t happen with Bob Cheapek in charge.

DisneyHead123

The big problem is that dialogue at these major corporations can't happen. When it's a top-down mentality where you have removed empowerment from your workforce, neither pay nor recognition can fix this. People want to be heard and to feel like they can do their jobs. That is lacking in many major corps, because the main floor and executive offices have grown so distant. And, while I love my HR colleagues, many HR "schools" and "programs" fuel the problem. Much of modern corporate theory puts Wall Street growth as a pristine god on a pedestal, so you can't always look honestly at what needs to be done. And here we are. Often, though, this doesn't end well over time. But, again, it's not unique to Disney - only sad because they used to be an exception in a sea of similar years ago.

I completely agree. Look at the "side hustle" phenomenon. People will pour a lot of time and energy into something that makes up a fairly small percentage of their income when they have a chance to feel autonomous and creative in their work.

Lilofan

Which is just normal Section 8 housing open to anyone that qualifies. It's not specifically for Cast but the location obviously means Cast that qualify are going to want to live there and end up being the majority of residents.
One literally walks a few minutes from the apt complex to catch the cast bus to MK

Lilofan

I completely agree. Look at the "side hustle" phenomenon. People will pour a lot of time and energy into something that makes up a fairly small percentage of their income when they have a chance to feel autonomous and creative in their work.
The side hustle came out of not only low income that were laid off during covid 2020 but people who were laid off from higher income levels. Some put their heads together after being laid off and looked at their strengths and talents to turn these into a money generating side hustle.

ImperfectPixie

That's not new. Many people have started their own businesses as a side hustle. I know a couple of young guys who did it in the early 2000s...they worked at a sign company and started saving their money and purchased a large-format solvent-ink printer. They worked it as a side gig printing signs, banners, and vehicle graphics until they could buy their next printer. Quit their jobs and kept reinvesting into their company. They sold it maybe 5 or 6 years ago and retired millionaires. These 2 brothers were in their 20s when they started.

TrainsOfDisney

Which is just normal Section 8 housing open to anyone that qualifies. It's not specifically for Cast but the location obviously means Cast that qualify are going to want to live there and end up being the majority of residents.
yeah I don’t think anyone said it was a requirement to be a cm to live there. If it’s across the street from the CM parking lot it’s pretty obvious who is going to want to live there. Ha.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom