News 'Disney Enchantment' coming to Magic Kingdom October 1 2021

Disone

After watching Disney Enchantment several times in person, I have some finalish thoughts:
  • The intro is pretty good and has grown on me to the point where it excites me nearly as much as HEAs

• The pre-finale scene with Moana is really strong, not quite as strong as Go The Distance in HEA, but still great. However, it ends very abruptly with a bunch of stray fireworks and then silence which is incredibly jarring and quickly blunts any emotion built from the scene.

• The choir version of You Are The Magic is very good and invokes emotion. They should've gone straight into this choir version instead of replaying the studio version again before it. The projections in the finale are lackluster and the finale has the appearance of being phenomenal (based on the visible shell trails) but the shells themselves don't live up to expectations when they explode.

• As for everything in between the intro and pre-finale, HEA beats it by a mile. Too much of the show is based on 2010s era film that invokes no nostalgia or emotion. The projections are subpar as well, as heavily discussed in this thread. The Frozen section is the most compelling, but it is sloppily sung and I believe they could've done more with the projection in this scene.
Long story short, HEA was a more complete show from start to finish that felt like every detail was planned. DE feels like a show that was built by several different groups and pieced together (some groups good, some not so great). DE really isn't sufficient to run much longer than a couple years; certainly not longer than HEA ran for (3 years not counting the COVID closures).

All that being said, I'm not sure bringing back HEA is the answer; they kinda took the wind out of its sails by replacing it. My hope is that they create a show that blows away both HEA and DE and run it for 5 or more years. I do hope we see HEA in a nighttime event like a generic After Hours; I think guests would like that and it would be a nice selling point.

Obviously, the biggest mistake of all was developing a show that has absolutely nothing to do with the 50th anniversary and replacing an already immensely popular show that ran for a relatively short time.

Fin!
Your review is worth reposting. Objective and spot on and I agree with your four main bullets points so much it was like a "get out of my head" moment.

For both DE and Harm, I feel the crowds are much more receptive then this and other fan forums. However I do feel Harm is getting warmed up to much more then Enchantment is. When watching live, Enchantment is still getting courtesy applause while Harmonious is getting cheers. Many time Harm's applause starts as it builds to its final volley of fireworks. I activity listen for comments after both shows and in general I hear positive things about Harmonious while for Enchantment I heard no comments, just chatter about what to do next or exit strategy. I do this alot... listen to the crowd reactions. I noticed the same for DL's Space Mountain vs World's. At Disneyland they are talking about the ride experience as soon as they get off. In Florida not so much. That to me is a sign that the attraction is working, or perhaps also not working, as intended. If the crowds are talking about it as they leave it.... it worked. If not, that can be okay too but not for a marquee attraction.

I think Harmonious is there, but really have not yet perceived that Enchantment is truly pleasing the crowds.

Enchantment is not a "Bad" show, and had it come immediately after Wishes, it may have fared better. Going back even further, had it come immediately after Fantasy in the Sky, I am sure it would be a Grand Slam. Having said that, coming after HEA..... its just hard to accept going from truly Excellent and arguably the best ever for WDW, to "It not a bad show".

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Your review is worth reposting. Objective and spot on and I agree with your four main bullets points so much it was like a "get out of my head" moment.

For both DE and Harm, I feel the crowds are much more receptive then this and other fan forums. However I do feel Harm is getting warmed up to much more then Enchantment is. When watching live, Enchantment is still getting courtesy applause while Harmonious is getting cheers. Many time Harm's applause starts as it builds to its final volley of fireworks. I activity listen for comments after both shows and in general I hear positive things about Harmonious while for Enchantment I heard no comments, just chatter about what to do next or exit strategy. I do this alot... listen to the crowd reactions. I noticed the same for DL's Space Mountain vs World's. At Disneyland they are talking about the ride experience as soon as they get off. In Florida not so much. That to me is a sign that the attraction is working, or perhaps also not working, as intended. If the crowds are talking about it as they leave it.... it worked. If not, that can be okay too but not for a marquee attraction.

I think Harmonious is there, but really have not yet perceived that Enchantment is truly pleasing the crowds.

Enchantment is not a "Bad" show, and had it come immediately after Wishes, it may have fared better. Going back even further, had it come immediately after Fantasy in the Sky, I am sure it would be a Grand Slam. Having said that, coming after HEA..... its just hard to accept going from truly Excellent and arguably the best ever for WDW, to "It not a bad show".
Agreed. Honestly can’t wait to see Harmonious again. It’s a great show.

ToTBellHop

Part of me wishes they had the foresight to see what they had in their internal previews of HEA and held it back until the 50th anniversary. The tone right now would be very, very different.
If only they could have flipped. DE would have been perfectly acceptable as a temporary bridge from Wishes to the 50th and would have been received well as an extra filler show.

Squishy

Anyone know whats going on with the lasers again? Seems like they been turned off ever since they put up the Christmas decor on Main Street.

ToTBellHop

Christmas trees bring out the Magic Kingdom cats.
1636460834652.gif
They dare not also use lasers.
1636460719705.gif

Brian

Christmas trees bring out the Magic Kingdom cats.
View attachment 599518They dare not also use lasers.
View attachment 599517
One time I was getting off a very late shift in Fantasyland, and the park had cleared of guests over an hour earlier (no BGM playing, nobody really around). I was walking towards the Utilidors staircase and looking up at some workers doing some work on the castle outside the CRT windows and trying to make out what they were doing. Meanwhile, a black cat darted out in front of me and I fell nearly flat on my face. Scared me half to death.

Don't mess with them.

gerarar

Premium Member
I haven't been watching this thread. Is this gone yet?
Nope, but it's here to stay (for now). The audience reception around it is getting better, as expected.

I wish they would just tweak the show. Like make the narration louder/clearer, add more castle/FL pyro, etc. But nothing has changed/tweaked yet.

When HEA debuted, there were changes immediately made to the projections and pyro. Doesn't seem like they're doing much of that now for DE.

SoFloMagic

Nope, but it's here to stay (for now). The audience reception around it is getting better, as expected.

I wish they would just tweak the show. Like make the narration louder/clearer, add more castle/FL pyro, etc. But nothing has changed/tweaked yet.

When HEA debuted, there were changes immediately made to the projections and pyro. Doesn't seem like they're doing much of that now for DE.
I think the whole thing is flawed. Get people to spend thousands of dollars to come find magic, then tell them "you are the Magic".
The song sucks. The narration sounds like a Halloween show.
I did like the pyro, but you're right that it needs more castle pyro.

Parker in NYC

Disney is never going to immediately respond to knee jerk guest suggestions. Heck, perception of Disney Enchantment is improving day by day just as many on this board predicted. That being said, I think most agree objectively, as far as projection shows go, that HEA is a superior show. It would be highly unlikely for that show to not return again. But for now, guests do still want to see Disney Enchantment as it is a new show and new shows sell.
It’s a great time to get in some more attractions. Can’t wait for HEA to return (hopefully).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom