News 'Disney Enchantment' coming to Magic Kingdom October 1 2021

TDLFan

The truth is, I think if we could peek into a world where COVID-19 does not exist, we'd be floored by how much they planned on doing and ended up not doing. The 50th is sadly a wash due to the pandemic. Obviously, much bigger problems re: pandemic than a theme park celebration, but for the purposes of this conversation, I think we're seeing 5-10% of what was planned.
That's what makes me scratch my head with Enchantment. We don't know what was cut, but Disney certainly did and they knew Enchantment would be the only big offering from the Magic Kingdom, so the fact that the show is so half hearted and lackluster is inexcusable.

mikejs78

Premium Member
DE has a story?
In response to “it has no story”.

We set out on an adventure to find the magic of dreams come true (typical of MK shows).

Joe Gardner transports the park into “the zone” to then enter a variety of dream worlds in search of “the magic.” As is typical of MK shows, this involves entering a number of well-known fantasy worlds. Eventually, we move “Into the Unknown” and the villains are unleashed.

In the end, the heroes save the day and we discover the truth: “the Magic is you.”

I don’t honestly think it’s that hard to follow. Listen to the soundtrack without watching the visuals. It’s about as straightforward as HEA’s story. Much more straightforward than ROE. I think some here are being intentionally obtuse because they are angry about not hearing “it’s a small world.” While Harm may be jumbled due to some unfortunate late edits, this really isn’t.

I think it has beautiful score. The blending of instrumentals in the middle is wonderful and feels like Wishes and even FitS. The start and finish feel like HEA. Can we not see that the design team tried to give us a blending of all previous MK firework shows for the 50th?

The Castle projections were simplified due to complaints that most people (especially kids) can’t see them. We all loved Wishes and it sometimes turned the castle blue with stars. That was it. It was determined that they went too-detailed for HEA so this is a middle ground. Further, this was developed during the pandemic. They needed to think of ways to move guests away from the Hub.

The music swells as Tink flies with a path lit by a line of fireworks. Pretty dramatic to me…

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
As someone who was at the debut of Happily Ever After and the public debut of Disney Enchantment on October 1st the audience reaction to both can't be more different. I had never seen an audience react the way they did to the segments of HEA that night. Loud cheering, people singing along with the songs especially during "How Far I'll Go". People were going nuts and then after the villians segment people were cheering so loud you could barely here Mufasa speak and then the set up to and Tinks flight people were going nuts. After the finale the ovation that show got was one of the longest I've ever seen after a fire works show. DE was a complete 180. A smattering of applause after some segments. The only thing that got any real applause was when the Main Street projections happened, after Into the Unknown and once people realized Tink was flying. The applause at the end was polite but no one was cheering or going nuts. The word of mouth on this show is going to be bad and already is. I am going to watch it a few more times but I doubt this will be a must do anymore like HEA was.

Rumor has it the main street projections are not working. They weren't (as far as I could tell...i was in the hub) on Tuesday

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm really trying to avoid spoilers as I will be seeing the show soon. Where is the best place to watch Enchantment? I know there are projections on main street, but is it worth moving away from the castle for them? If so, how far down main street would people suggest?
The Main Street projections don't run for the full show and aren't that elaborate. My plan would be:
  • First show: stake out a place close to the castle so you can see all the castle projections and know what's happening.
  • Second show: watch from Main Street to catch the full view of fireworks and whatever projections are happening on Main Street
  • Following shows: doesn't matter

Disney4family

I know it would never happen, but could you imagine if the lights dimmed and they did "Wishes!" again?
(with updated pyro and projections, of course)
I think the crowd would have gone wild.
Disneyland's 50th fireworks had "Wishes!" (They even got a parade. Must be nice.)
It would have been a nice, warm hug from WDW to its fans.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
You can have a story, but that doesn't mean:
  • it's a good story
  • it's told well
  • the songs fit in well with the story
  • the visuals fit in well with the story
I don't know if any of that is the case, I haven't done a deep dive yet on DE to make up my mind on those criteria.
I actually don't care if it has a story. The people who actually know the "story" of Wishes, Reflections of Earth, or SpectroMagic are like two people on these boards and zero people "in real life." Feeling matters more than narrative.

wtyy21

I can't believe they did not add the fountains that Paris and the other castle parks now have...that would have added a fresh new element rather than more and more projectors.
Do you believe water fountains at Disneyland's Rivers of America? At least DL have a room to installing fountains other than the castles.

mattpeto

You know…I wanted to love this.

But, I liked it. Great pyro, but the soundtrack has nothing on HEA, the MSUSA projections are pretty but sloppily used, and the theme song just ain’t HEA’s.

B- compared to HEA’s A+.
Nobody rational is saying DE is a bad show, it’s just not in the same universe as Happily Ever After.

Now we wait about 15 months before we have a clue on their next move.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
The truth is, I think if we could peek into a world where COVID-19 does not exist, we'd be floored by how much they planned on doing and ended up not doing. The 50th is sadly a wash due to the pandemic. Obviously, much bigger problems re: pandemic than a theme park celebration, but for the purposes of this conversation, I think we're seeing 5-10% of what was planned.
I’m tired of covid being an excuse. It’s Disney and a 50th anniversary. If they really wanted to do it all they would and could have. It is now all about money, not the pandemic or guests. Same sorta thing happens when they show something like plans for a new land/area and then half of it gets cut and reduced.

There’s no excuse Disney could not have had someone speaking thanking everyone for 50 magical years and show Walt and Mickey somewhere. I’ll say it again, the celebrate the magic projection show years ago had more feel and celebrated more than this.

Last edited:

peter11435

I’m tired of covid being an excuse. It’s Disney and a 50th anniversary. If they really wanted to do it all they would and could have. It is now all about money, not the pandemic or guests. Same sorta thing happens when they show something like plans for a new land/area and then half of it gets cut and reduced.
It’s fine to say that… but the pandemic was and still is a very real thing. And it absolutely did and continues to have significant impact on what they can and can’t do as well as what makes sense to do.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
It’s fine to say that… but the pandemic was and still is a very real thing. And it absolutely did and continues to have significant impact on what they can and can’t do as well as what makes sense to do.
There’s no excuse Disney could not have had someone speaking thanking everyone for 50 magical years and show Walt and Mickey somewhere. I’ll say it again, the celebrate the magic projection show years ago had more feel and celebrated more than this.

this show was lazily thrown together IMO with more of a “let’s do something quick” vs “let’s do something good or right”

peter11435

this show was lazily thrown together IMO with more of a “let’s do something quick” vs “let’s do something good or right”
The show was not intended to celebrate Walt Disney world or Walt. Also I’m not sure why people are obsessed with the idea of 50th offerings referencing mickey anyway. There are other offerings in the parks that reference 50 magical years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom