News 'Disney Enchantment' coming to Magic Kingdom October 1 2021

James Alucobond

However, I do think you at least need to try and do something better or at least different with each new show. As others have noted, there is an obvious backward step in this show when you look at the projections on the castle and the way they just insert clips from films rather than integrating them into the castle. The show also doesn't do anything new: it shows clips from movies as the last one did, this time with the aforementioned poorer integration into the environment as well as a weaker/non-existent narrative thread. That leaves you with the projections on Main Street which are an enhancement, but not enough to overcome all the other ways in which the show falls short of what came before. It also doesn't result in a better show than adding the Main Street projections to HEA.
The change with regard to constantly fitting everything within the architecture of the castle seems to me an intentional change to a) help some key scenes read better from Main Street, especially when viewed in context with the surrounding projections and b) have fewer constraints when the characters on the castle are meant to directly interact with or produce the fireworks. It’s trying something different, which is maybe ultimately less effective in your opinion, but there are still plenty of scenes that play perfectly against the architecture. It’s not like they forgot how to do it. As for narrative and song choice (especially with an original song), those are always something of a gamble in terms of how people will respond to them.

Disneyson

I honestly think HEA leaned less into the sentimentality and "make you bawl your eyes out" factor than Wishes and was a better show for it. I don't think anyone is arguing that they should be forever ramping up the emotional punch until they get to the Schindler's List of nighttime spectaculars.

To play Devil’s advocate, the most popular character-based nighttime spectaculars of all time feature considerable darkness and tears before they build back up.

Castle blows up in HEA, Evil Queen lays siege in Wishes, Maleficent tries to kill Mickey in Fantasmic, Dead Parent/Beast death montage in World of Color… even Spectromagic has a creepy Chernabog moment followed by a gap between units. And then there is a spectacle of pixie dust and white light in all of them.

I haven’t seen video of this one yet, but I wonder if it takes you there.

wtyy21

The naming of "Disney Enchantment" for the new fireworks is partially confuse some people who had visited Disneyland Paris from 2008 to 2011, when there were similar name firework show The Enchanted Fireworks (Les Feux Enchantés), except it was solely focused on Enchanted film.

SplashJacket

I have avoided hearing anyone else's thoughts on Enchantment before writing this. I have no idea if the perception has been positive or negative.

I think the show is excellent. I don't think it's as good as HEA, but I believe HEA was god-tier.

I watched it live from Disney last night, then watched HEA, then watched it a second time, then watched Shanghai's new show, and then I watched this video which showcases the show better than Disney's stream, boosting my evaluation from good to great.

The Into the Unknown segment stands out as a high point.

Interestingly enough, both HEA and Enchantment begin and end with their original song.

On another note, I understand the criticism that the show lacks a focus on the parks, but I ignored that when evaluating the show. HEA also lacked a focus on the parks, so while Enchantment may not be the best anniversary firework show, I still think it's a great show.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

There was allot of parts in that show I didn’t like, it really needs tweaking but cut out the fat and there’s just some charm to it that actually gives me the feels. Honestly the instrumental parts of the show were fantastic, that part where they did show some classics had charm as if it were an added sequence to the original Fantasy in the sky. I think the show needs tweaking. They can easily in my opinion make this show a masterpiece with some love, kill those lengthy Moana, Princes and the Frog and Frozen segments and more pyro.

Last edited:

wtyy21

One of interesting parts of Disney Enchantment is the show doesn't including castle strobe lights at all, kinda like Disney Not-so-spooky spectacular that was designated for Halloween parties, or Mickey Mix Magic and Halloween Screams at DL, which doesn't included castle strobe lights at the finale.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Honestly the instrumental parts of the show were fantastic, that part where they did show some classics had charm as if it were an added sequence to the original Fantasy in the sky. There are parts that made me fall in love with the show and then they kill it. How Far I’ll go should have not been in the show, how about when you wish upon a star, moana is already used in Harmonious. Moana, princes and the frog and into the unknown or swapped them out all together and put something in and just threw some more classics in I’d be happy.
I don’t remember how far I’ll go in the show. Only the reprise. Which is like the best part of the movie and the most impactful musically
Edit. Maybe after the reprise? Was it then?

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I don’t remember how far I’ll go in the show. Only the reprise. Which is like the best part of the movie and the most impactful musically
Edit. Maybe after the reprise? Was it then?
It was at the end, Harmonious began with it. I feel When you Wish upon a star should have taken that slot but that’s just me.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It was at the end, Harmonious began with it. I feel When you Wish upon a star should have taken that slot but that’s just me.
Just watching again. Only the the reprise where she’s talking to her grandmothers ghost plays. Not the actual song. The reprise is great. Really a different song.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom