News 'Disney Enchantment' coming to Magic Kingdom October 1 2021

jklakeview

Yeah, I think this is the most egregious problem with the new show, this is just plain laziness. I immediately went back and watched a close up video of HEA to make sure I remember properly. HEA definitely made more creative use of projections, throughout a lot of the new show they were just using the castle as big screen.
I think this might have been the point. HEA had the problem that you had to be right in front of the castle to see all of the intricate little parts. It created something that was not functional as Disney became more and more crowded. I think they didn’t want to lose the element of mapping on the castle but wanted it to be extra and not the key component of the show.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Not only did some people complain that HEA was shorter and had less pyro (which it didn't), they also complained it didn't have a story. So, I created a breakdown to show that it did....

Then they said, "Well, Wishes had a story, too!"

And I had to show, that, not really...

Disney Glimpses

Do yourself a favor and watch HEA and DE side by side. Notice how detailed every single scene is in Happily Ever After. The projections are meticulously designed.

In Enchantment, it's more or less the generic castle overlay with a hue that matches each film and a cutout either in the bottom or top right to show a clip of the scene's film.

There is much more going on than just Disney fans being Disney fans and complaining. The show was rushed.

Disney Glimpses

They couldn't even be bothered to theme the castle to Arendelle! They simply took the generic design, made it blue and then put elsa in a tiny spot in the top right.

I understand pandemic, financial, hiring constraints. But then why bother with this at all?

Same goes for the reprise section of the show. They simply took scenes of films and then put a swirly animation around them on a dark castle. Compare the reprise sections of HEA vs DE. Look how detailed the HEA projections are and how generic the DE projections are. This is the case for the entire 20 minutes of both shows.

Happily Ever After
1633111185208.png

1633111203652.png

Enchantment
1633111132046.png

1633111238776.png

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think this might have been the point. HEA had the problem that you had to be right in front of the castle to see all of the intricate little parts. It created something that was not functional as Disney became more and more crowded. I think they didn’t want to lose the element of mapping on the castle but wanted it to be extra and not the key component of the show.

I don't think that a good reason not to do it. Sure the animations were not as effective if you were further back, but they didn't hurt anything and were a nice added bonus for those who were closer.

Disney Glimpses

I don't think that a good reason not to do it. Sure the animations were not as effective if you were further back, but they didn't hurt anything and were a nice added bonus for those who were closer.
This is exactly why I truly believe Happily Ever After will be transitioned to the fireworks show for the generic ticketed After Hours events that will occur in between holidays.

gerarar

Premium Member
This video from Main Street shows the full yellow transformation of the castle and MS, as we saw in the concept art. Also you can hear the audio “sweep” from front to back (the sparkly noise as the castle changes colors), which was noted by an Imagineer in an interview that it’s a new effect for DE.

Sir_Cliff

I felt this was kind of like a b-roll version of HEA, if that makes sense. The show could really have just been a random assemblage of songs and sequences that didn't make the cut without any real narrative thread through it... unless I missed it. I agree with those who also found the projections seemed a bit of a step backwards in terms of sophistication and fluidity.

One thing I did think after watching it on a few different streams was that the show's only purpose seems to be for them to be able to say that they have a new fireworks show for the 50th. It doesn't have anything remotely to do with the 50th or WDW, so it's certainly not crafted to commemorate the occasion. As others have said, they could, for example, premiere it in Shanghai in a year's time by just mapping it onto the different castle. It isn't any better or even (at least in my opinion) as good as the show it is replacing. The show it was replacing also wasn't that old and apparently had the highest guest satisfaction of anything at MK. It's just kind of a new collection of clips from Disney movies with fireworks and projections that's... fine.

People HATED it.
Some did initially hate HEA, in large part, I think, because there was a lot of love for Wishes. I remember some were *very* sad about Wishes leaving. My memory was that opinion was divided on HEA, though nothing at all like what we're seeing for Harmonious. For me, HEA was from the first viewing online obviously a great show and big step up for MK fireworks and I remember not being the only person arguing that!

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

Do yourself a favor and watch HEA and DE side by side. Notice how detailed every single scene is in Happily Ever After. The projections are meticulously designed.

In Enchantment, it's more or less the generic castle overlay with a hue that matches each film and a cutout either in the bottom or top right to show a clip of the scene's film.

There is much more going on than just Disney fans being Disney fans and complaining. The show was rushed.
Yes, you really can't unsee the fact they just cut a bit of footage from the film framed with round swirls for the most part once you see it. Nothing in this like Quasimodo climbing around the castle, for example.

It again raises the point of why they even created the show beyond needing to have something new to market. They would have been better off just introducing Main Street USA projections for HEA as a new addition for the 50th.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
If any of use here, (and keep in mind we are all Disney nerds) were in a test group and we watched this show without any information about what it is for, and after watching it were then asked, "what is this show about "? We would not answer, "50 years of Disney". We wouldn't even say, "Anniversary".

This show should OOOOZE 50 years of Walt Disney World. The music and scenery from the attractions, resorts, characters, etc should rain down upon you. The nostalgia of the old all the way up to the love and excitement for what's recent should be represented.....but it's not.

This show should have been a quick special on the Disney Chanel or ABC. Not a representation of 50 years of Walt Disney World, because it's anything but.

rk03221

A lot of Disney fans, especially ones on these forums always trashed Iger…I always defended him and said your going to wish he was back when Chapek is CEO. Not saying trying to turn this into a “Iger bad” discussion but be careful what you wish for

jpinkc

Iger wasnt the greatest either but somehow Slappie seems to be even worse. If Walt or Roy or Roy Jr was still around and had a hand in this it would be a spare no expense this is a once in a lifetime event. They would want to see the smiles from cast and guest alike. Pandemic be damned if it had to be. Look at how Walt rallied the troops for and on Black Sunday and the week following.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom