News 'Disney Enchantment' coming to Magic Kingdom October 1 2021

dreday3

Okay, good night. Some of the comments here are farcical. This show will be enormously popular. Like HEA. And Wishes. And FitS.

Harm needs some help, but this one is great for at least 18 months. We will see how we feel in Spring 2023.

Honestly, I think I'll stay off the boards until after my trip. 😂

I'm in full on countdown mode, need to stay excited!

Have fun all, see you on the other side!

Splashin' Ryan

clever, yes, but honestly the projections are so underutilized they're more like a gimmick instead of an integral part of the show
Exactly, in no way are they used like they are out in Disneyland to add to the show, it’s kind of like they lit up the facades here and added some things moving around rather than large swathes of color or designs

DonaldDoleWhip

People HATED it.
Really? "People" hated it? Is that most people, or just some?

Here's my first post about HEA (also after viewing it on YouTube) and that wasn't my reaction at all. Posted on 5/19/17:

Have only experienced the show through YouTube (at least 15 times by now), but can say with certainty that I absolutely love it. The projections play a starring role, but the pyro package, soundtrack, and lasers are all compelling in their own right. Additionally, there's so much content packed into 18 minutes, but the show doesn't drag (unlike some of the other 'long' spectaculars). Highlights for me:

Introduction
  • I love how it builds, keeping our attention initially on the narration (as it should be), the contemporary, upbeat song, and the projections.
  • Gradually, the song becomes 'bigger' and more orchestral, with a powerful crescendo culminating in a big reveal of pyro + lasers.
    • Wishes also had 'dead' moments of weak (or zero) pyro, and Reflections of Earth has several minutes of it. HEA's intro is more of a fake-out, because there's plenty of pyro throughout the show.
Determination/Longing
  • The subtle use of "When You Wish Upon a Star" as a transition between bigger moments. The song gets a clear nod and segues perfectly into "Part of Your World" and "Out There."
  • "Out There." Very focused and powerful, with the projections, pyro, and soundtrack all highlighting Quasimodo's ambition.
  • Merida shooting a firework off the castle (simple but effective interaction between projection and pyro).
  • "How Far I'll Go." Another great, cohesive segment - that manta ray moment is especially breathtaking.
Friendship
  • "Friend Like Me" bookending the whole segment. Of course Genie had a role in Wishes, but here his signature song is even more prominent.
  • "Trashin' the Camp." So unexpected during my first watch, but a fun moment every time.
  • The rocket effect. Yes, it's been used in previous projection shows, but it's so much cooler with a pyro and laser backdrop.
  • Admittedly, this is my least favorite part of the show. The songs and projections are a bit sillier ("That's What Friends Are For") and we're cycling through characters quickly so people can spot their favorite (Wreck-It Ralph, Big Hero 6, Monsters Inc, etc).
Love
  • "Love is an Open Door." I really enjoy this song in its original arrangement (upbeat, cheeky, ironic), but the acoustic take is refreshing and unexpected.
  • The spotlight on family ("You'll Be in My Heart"). Romance is great, but it's really nice that love extends beyond that in this show.
  • "A Whole New World" + "I See the Light". Gorgeous combination of melodies, and a fantastic use of the lantern scene.
Adversity
  • The firecracker coming off the castle during the Mulan intro. Like the Merida moment but more exciting.
  • Ursula. You see those waves engulf the castle and you know what's next, but it's still a fantastic visual.
  • This segment basically belongs to Hans Zimmer (Lion King + Pirates score with fantastic use of pyro). That's not a bad thing.
Heroism
  • "Go the Distance" reprise. What a powerful moment with that choir, the gilded castle, and more and more characters appearing in stained glass form. Great pyro and lasers.
Finale
  • The way it bookends the show perfectly. Our narrator is back, and so is that contempo-pop song, but then...
  • Tinker Bell's reveal. It's a clear climactic moment, and all of a sudden the main song feels very, very different. I love this full version of the song, featuring the choir.
  • For the last 30 seconds, our attention is back on the castle, lasers, music, and (of course) fireworks. The message is clear: "reach out and find your happily ever after." Amazing pyro.
Yes, that's basically the whole show. As I said, I loved it. Love the use of songs and the fact that so many Renaissance/modern classics have a starring role. The new song is a winner in my book as well, especially when it layers on the greater orchestra and choir. The projections are fantastic but this show could be enjoyed without them (such as from the TTC/resorts), because the pyro is top notch - certainly more engaging than Wishes. This show is an excellent development for MK, and I'm wishing (yep) I'll have the opportunity to experience it in person.

Can't say that was my reaction tonight. Also can't say I loved Harmonious after seeing it in person.

That said, DE isn't a disaster by any means. It just doesn't pack the same punch, whereas HEA won over many of us right from the start.

BaymaxFan

My ranking:
1)Fantasy In The Sky
2)Happily Ever After
3)Illuminations
4)Wishes
-
10) Enchantment
11) Harmonious

In all honesty it's not a horrible show but it's not a good replacement. If you're going to replace an already amazing show you need to one up it, like HEA did with Wishes. Instead it got worse. It's not up there with HEA. Not bad, but not great. And for those of you still claiming this is a temporary show for the 50th, they couldn't have done any worse for a show celebrating a theme park. It's all (mostly recent) movie soundtracks sung by completely different people. Nothing about this show celebrates WDW.

And for the Bobs, I think the speech was alright. I find it funny that nobody clapped for Chapek, but what can you expect at this point. I'm going to be really disappointed if they use tonight's little presentation as a replacement for a ceremony that should take place on the actual anniversary of the park.

ifan

When we went from Wishes to HEA it was such a big difference that it caught people offguard. But this show is so similar to HEA, yet different, that it is like watching your favorite broadway show with a new cast for the first time. You're so used to the original voices that your brain is almost confused.

The official live stream missed a lot and the audio being delayed a full second didn't help (the blogger livestreams made the projections on Main Street look a lot more cool and there seemed to be sparkly sound effects at some points.)

With that said, this is HEA 2.0. Same structure. I think it'll be a hit with mainstream crowds. My favorite part was the Trans Siberian Orchestra rock concert. I wondered how they'd match Pirates in HEA and that part was just as cool.

100X better than Harmonious. I think this show will grow on people.

waltography

That's why I don't really get the weeping over HEA ending. The replacement was bound to follow the exact same formula.
For me, I get goosebumps in certain sections because of the better music and better placement. Out There from Hunchback is such a left-field choice I don't expect that hits me every time (Hunchback's music in general is severely underrated), Love is an Open Door is re-orchestrated wonderfully, Phil Collins gets me every time, Go the Distance is always a goodie, and the half-time drums at the finale are epic. It goes through the contours of a story well in a song cycle form.

It's part song choice, part arrangement. It's also why World of Color works for me as a show even though it too is a clip show.

jrhwdw

Quick reminder: no one in this conversation has seen Enchantment. We’ve seen HEA. It’s a bit early to say one show is better. That stream quality was awful.

HALF OF YOU DIDN’T SEE TINK! That’s how bad the video was.

Give it 24 hours.
I know! There was no Pyro/soundtrack buildup to Tink but. I did see Pixie Dust(I think) going up to her tower right before she took off. I get why DPB went with Main Street's Camera for Tink. The Castle and Main Stree turned Gold when she flew. I believe we knew that since Enchantment was announced?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom