Disney + Dreamworks?

Chape19714

Editors Note September 2007

It seems the Year of a Million Dreams is going to end early. -AL

Disney (a few weeks later)

We are extending the Year of a Million Dreams for another year in 2008.

that is all.

MousDad

Original Poster
In case he deletes this one too:

[quote from MiceAge.com 4/10/08]

"now here's something else you'll see here first: DreamWorks and Disney. Apparently the deal being discussed is for live action to start, then animation to follow; distribution and merchandising handled by the Mouse. Interesting combination, eh? - Al Lutz"

wdwmaniac

the thing is Dreamworks is two different companies right now...

Dreamworks- is currently owned by Viacom, so why in the world would they use Disney...(they have paramount)

more likely could be Spielberg who is unhappy with Viacom management and would jump ship and start working under the Disney label or his own new label under Disney.

Dreamworks animation (separate company) currently is locked into a distribution deal with Viacom till 2012 so they won't announce anything till then.

the other question comes up why would dreamworks want to work with Disney? Disney just annouced a 10 pictures till 2012 with all the great time release slot filled by their pictures. Disney would never give dreamworks a holiday slot. The only way Dreamworks animation would work with Disney would be to be acquired. (that’s another story)

I see this strictly as rumor and I highly doubt that these two companies would ever work together...especially in regards to animation. The falling out of Katzenberg and Disney still lingers between the two and besides...what does Dreamworks need with Disney?

MousDad

Original Poster
For the record, the editor's note was removed on 4/12/08. No current reference to this. Wonder if he'll follow up, or hope nobody noticed.

MousDad

Original Poster
I saw this article yesterday too. Thanks for posting; I didn't think of it.

Could you imagine the seismic rumble if Disney acquired the Dreamworks catalog of characters? Pixar in the parks wouldn't seem so bad then.

I doubt they'll land with Disney, really. But this is probably what Al got wind of, in some form.

On the off chance that Disney would get Distribution...and this is highly unlikely....I doubt the deal would include the rights to use the characters in any way. Disney would be used merely as a means to distribute the movies.

There are so many other options out there for Dreamworks, that I think they won't even look at Disney until it appears that they are a last resort.

Think large scale movie studios like 20th Century Fox, etc.

MousDad

Original Poster
On the off chance that Disney would get Distribution...and this is highly unlikely....I doubt the deal would include the rights to use the characters in any way. Disney would be used merely as a means to distribute the movies.

There are so many other options out there for Dreamworks, that I think they won't even look at Disney until it appears that they are a last resort.

Think large scale movie studios like 20th Century Fox, etc.

I agree with you that this is very unlikely. But would Disney ever distribute something they wouldn't control rights to? (I'm thinking Pixar before the buyout.)

Disney could do that if they chose to. Other major movie studios usually do it and Disney could distribute for Dreamworks, but not take any of the characters rights. (This could also only affect the live action movies only, even though he said that animation would follow later...but they'd have to get through Katzenberg first).

Look at 20th Century Fox, they distribute Star Wars but have zero control over what George Lucas does with the films or the merchandising. Disney could theoretically follow that mold if they chose.

I've not read anything about this on any of the animation forums I visit so until I hear something there I just can't see these two studios working together in such a function. But, who know...stranger things have happened....right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom