Trip Report Disney Dreamin' of a night at AKL--a little bit of a different trip...COMPLETED

Well, this trip is coming up on us fast!

This will be a different trip, as we won't even be setting foot in a park--crazy I know! I hope I can manage. @Mrhappyplace has his doubts, but as I have a trip planned in June, I think I'll be ok.

The Details
Who: Myself, Amber, age 40-gah- at time of trip, and DH, Mrhappyplace.
Screenshot_20171217-205032.jpg

When: November 11th until November 17th
Where: several places! Night one will be at the Hilton in Cocoa Beach, nights two through five will be on the Disney Dream, stateroom #7572 to be exact, and then night six will be at Animal Kingdom Lodge, WDW.

From our home just north of Atlanta, it is 4 hours to Savannah, which I've always wanted to visit. Then a further 4 hours from there to Port Canaveral. So we're planning on stopping for a bit in Savannah before heading to our hotel in Cocoa Beach. The next morning we head to our cruise!

We booked this cruise while on our last cruise, which was December 2016. Actually, we booked the placeholder and then the (much more expensive) 7 night Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy. Being our 3rd cruise, and while we love the Dream, we had hoped to try a different ship and itinerary--and someday we will, hopefully. Just wasn't to be, this time, monetarily. We did book Palo brunch though, so excited to try that new experience!

Also, we've always wanted to stay at AKL but were hesitant because of distance from the parks. We decided that instead of making the drive straight back home after disembarking the ship, we'd finally stay there when we weren't planning on park days.

We will round out the trip with a dinner at California Grill--our first time! on the evening of November 15th, and then have breakfast at Olivia's Cafe at Old Key West the following morning before driving home. We will enjoy hanging out at AKL during the day on the 15th, hopefully enjoying the pool a bit, and then possibly getting DH to try Trader Sam's later the afternoon before our CG dinner. We're hoping to catch the fireworks from the Christmas party.

This trip report probably won't be as long as others, so I'll most likely just turn this pre-trip thread into the Trip thread.

Last edited:

DRD

I didn't know you guys went to Trader Sam's! That crowd was ridiculous when we were there at Poly and we never got a chance to experience it.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
I didn't know you guys went to Trader Sam's! That crowd was ridiculous when we were there at Poly and we never got a chance to experience it.

We did! My friend Penny (the one I mentioned in this report) and I had gone in 2017 and had a blast (thus marking the one only time I've been a bit tipsy on WDW property!) If you ever get the chance, you should go. And the more you participate, the more fun it is!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
After the fireworks, we went back in and our server continued our meal. I went with the filet, but asked for the sides from the pork tenderloin (goat cheese polenta and mushrooms) meal, which wasn't a problem.

DH got his second course of the Duck, which he said was pretty good though he liked the first course (confit) better.

We didn't get dessert! I think I was just too full.

Saturday, November 17th

Sadly, today was departure day. We packed up, and went out to the observation area off of the lobby, to view the animals again. The Lodge really is beautiful!

It was breakfast time for several species! Giraffes are my favorite to watch, so I took lots of pics of them. Plus one kept getting closer to us, keeping his (or her?) eye on us as he walked.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Back toward the barns we could see various species entering and exiting the barn intermittently.

These fellas were having a little tussle...

We enjoyed hanging out with the animals for awhile.

With that though, we packed up the car, and drove to Old Key West for our breakfast reservation. Now, OKW has NEVER been on my radar. Never. I never even considered it. But I really liked the style and decor, so I would definitely stay here, I'm thinking (thoughts anyone?)

We chose Olivia's for its proximity to DS, and in looking at the menu prior to our trip, for its Banana Bread French Toast. I just HAD to try it!!

Our server was a very nice, talkative, engaging woman, though I forget her name. She supported our choice for breakfast. We enjoyed looking at the (very dated) family photos on the wall- the first DVC members. We had the corner table.

We both placed an order for the french toast, me with a side of bacon. While waiting for our food (which was very quick, btw), I walked around into the other room to take some pictures.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
I loved the fans

Not the greatest picture, but this was our breakfast- Banana Bread French Toast- and it was everything I could dream of! I would totally go here again just for this dish. DH kinda remembers finishing all of his, but I clearly remember that I could not, it is easily shareable.

Our server asked if we wanted a photo, and proceeded to take at least 8 of us from various angles and distances, though I will only subject you to the one I like best.

After our lovely breakfast, we found the boat transport to Disney Springs. I really like the look of this resort, from the water too.

Here comes our captain-

A peek at the Treehouses at SSR-- DH stayed in one back when he was a kid

Our excursion to Disney Springs was short and sweet. I had a Moana doll to pick up for my niece, some souvenirs for my assistant teachers holding down the fort at school, and one other thing that I can't recall. Then we went back to the boat, back to OKW, and started our drive home.

Kind of an abrupt ending to our wonderful trip, but I hope you all enjoyed reading along, and I'll leave you with the last photo I took on the boat back to OKW.

Attachments

• IMG_9176.JPG
    IMG_9176.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 34

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I loved the fans
View attachment 348314

Not the greatest picture, but this was our breakfast- Banana Bread French Toast- and it was everything I could dream of! I would totally go here again just for this dish. DH kinda remembers finishing all of his, but I clearly remember that I could not, it is easily shareable.
View attachment 348318

Our server asked if we wanted a photo, and proceeded to take at least 8 of us from various angles and distances, though I will only subject you to the one I like best.
View attachment 348319

After our lovely breakfast, we found the boat transport to Disney Springs. I really like the look of this resort, from the water too.
View attachment 348320

Here comes our captain-
View attachment 348321

View attachment 348322

A peek at the Treehouses at SSR-- DH stayed in one back when he was a kid
View attachment 348323

View attachment 348332

Our excursion to Disney Springs was short and sweet. I had a Moana doll to pick up for my niece, some souvenirs for my assistant teachers holding down the fort at school, and one other thing that I can't recall. Then we went back to the boat, back to OKW, and started our drive home.

Kind of an abrupt ending to our wonderful trip, but I hope you all enjoyed reading along, and I'll leave you with the last photo I took on the boat back to OKW.
View attachment 348333

You two look so cute and happy at the table. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom