Disney Dream "Beauty and the Beast" review

Jonathan Dalecki

Original Poster
Does anyone remember the David Pumpkins SNL sketch, where one of the beleaguered elevator ride guests asks the cast member "why did you go all in on David Pumpkins?"

This show had me asking a very similar question, namely "why did you go all in on the live action Beauty and the Beast?"

They had the human actors playing the enchanted objects lugging around props that looked more or less exactly like the Emma Watson-version objects. So Lumiere, Cogsworth, Mrs. Potts, et. all all carried a candelabra, clock, tea cart with pot, etc.

To me, this is a huge mistake. It might work fine on film, where a CGI object can fill up a screen and move about, but in real life it seemed to leave the performers hand-strung as far as what they could do with their physicality. Lumiere especially is a big, showy, role, and calls for a lot of hamming it up, but when the actor is stuck moving a 10 inch candlestick around, it makes everything seem...small.

(Also, it makes it a little difficult to worry too much about these objects and their dreams to become human again when you can already see their human forms, and it makes the post-transformation reveal feel a little flat.)

The particular performance I saw was hindered by two technical glitches that led to the cast having to exit the stage and the curtain lower while they got fixed. While it's impossible to say what happened, my wife and I both came away feeling like the show was more technically ambitious than they could easily pull off.

Lastly, the animated movie has already been brilliantly adapted for the stage in the lovely Broadway production, which makes this new adaptation feel particularly unnecessary. It was especially funny to see Lumiere, Belle, and Mrs. Potts make appearances in the final night's "Believe" show in costumes that more or less conform to the Broadway adaptation. The same actor performed as Lumeire in both shows, and you could tell how much more suited he was to play a singing and dancing human sized character with candles for hands and a hat.

Take all this with a grain of salt. The show got raucous applause and obviously the movie made a ton of money, so my opinion was definitely the minority. I simply offer my take, and my wife's take, for those curious. This was our 8th Disney cruise, and we're both theater people (we actually performed as Gaston and Mrs. Potts in a stage production about a decade ago.)

ChuckElias

Thanks for the feedback, Jonathan. The method of using humans carrying their "character" sounds like "Finding Nemo, the Musical" at Animal Kingdom. But that works for me, even though you can clearly see the fish is being carried by a human. If you've seen that, can you give me your thoughts on the comparison? I won't be on the Dream until April, so I'm definitely interested! Thanks!

Jonathan Dalecki

Original Poster
I have seen the Nemo show, yeah. I think for me the difference is that the Nemo puppets were larger, and (I think) carried above the performers...at the Beast show, the puppets were small (Lumiere was about up to his performers knee/thigh and he had to crouch to operate him...the same for Cogsworth. Mrs. Potts was a teapot on a cart pushed by her performer) and not particularly expressive.

I think the reason Nemo works (for me) is that the songs and staging are new, whereas Beast has "Belle", "Be Our Guest", the title song, etc...plus, the existence of an existing stage adaptation too. Also, in Nemo, the characters look like their animated counterparts, whereas in Beast they're modeled, humans and objects alike, after the live action film, so if you didn't care for that film compared to the animated classic, it's not a good choice, imo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom