Disney, DONT bring back 180-day-in-advance restaurant reservations.

Nottamus

The most liberating thing we did related to Wdw planning:

Stopped making dining plans 180 days out

it’s just the wife and I, and we found not only are there many good quick service places to get food, but we also found that making reservations the day of, worked out for us.

maybe it’s because of cancellations or just to fill empty tables, but we always seems to find a table. (Not in the trendy places like BOG etc, but they aren’t on our radar anyway)

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
The most liberating thing we did related to Wdw planning:

Stopped making dining plans 180 days out

it’s just the wife and I, and we found not only are there many good quick service places to get food, but we also found that making reservations the day of, worked out for us.

maybe it’s because of cancellations or just to fill empty tables, but we always seems to find a table. (Not in the trendy places like BOG etc, but they aren’t on our radar anyway)

Ya know I think my last trip helped me see how liberating not making ADR's can be.
It was one of the few times since 2006 that we did not have a dining plan because we were staying club level.
Now when there's free dining its a no brainer **for my situation** that its the better discount and we had gotten free dining 10 times between 2006 and 2018.
But when you're paying for a dining plan or especially when you're paying OOP you put more thought into where you're going to eat and your priorities.
That last trip we ate a nice filling breakfast in the club level lounge then a QS and snacks throughout the day, if we were near our hotel between 5-7 and the offerings sounded good we'd piece together dinner in the club level lounge and would also have some drinks and desserts.
It felt really good to not have to find the ADR we wanted for the time and place we wanted.
I think unless we are able to get free dining again (if/when dining plans are even offered) we will consider making minimal ADR's going forward.

SteveAZee

I've never liked this argument. No, I don't know what I'll be eating 60 days out, but if I have a rez for, say, Coral Reef, I have no trouble getting in the mood for seafood. Not once have I dined in an Italian place and thought "Crap - I'm really in the mood for steak".
For me, the reason I want to eat at at WDW restaurant is the total experience, not for any particular item on the menu. For the most part, it's just another 'attraction'.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I hope that they stick to the 60 days out for Dinning reservations. Personally, our last three trips after the reopening have changed which places we previously loved as either the supply chain and/or COVID modifications to the menus have made some better and some worse.

Cindy's is absolutely dreadful right now... dont go even to just look around. The cast is still wonderful, but the food is awful.

Minnesota disney fan

I used to get the ADR's on the first available date. Now, I just make one or 2 that we really can't miss.
I have found that by checking the day before you want the reservation, you can usually get one. At least we were able each time for 2 adults. It's so easy and allows some spontaneity.

ppet

A lot of the luck finding ADRs late in the game has to do with group size. When it's just my wife and I we can generally find ADRS at most places(there are a few exceptions) but If my group is over five I haven't had the same success. Now with children grown and spouses and grandkid added when we do a large group trip I want to get the major reservations has early as possible.

mergatroid

A lot of the luck finding ADRs late in the game has to do with group size. When it's just my wife and I we can generally find ADRS at most places(there are a few exceptions) but If my group is over five I haven't had the same success. Now with children grown and spouses and grandkid added when we do a large group trip I want to get the major reservations has early as possible.
Yes, we've found in the past that if we head to the Sci-fi in the afternoon looking for a table for 2, they can sometimes accommodate.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I used to get the ADR's on the first available date. Now, I just make one or 2 that we really can't miss.
I have found that by checking the day before you want the reservation, you can usually get one. At least we were able each time for 2 adults. It's so easy and allows some spontaneity.

As much as I liked the convenience of the dining plan... there was no checking the day before and hoping you find something... you absolutely needed to lock in SOMETHING or risk not getting anything.
We learned this the hard way one time before realizing just how important ADR's were and ended up having to trade in some TS for 2 QS and a snack and omg then we just wasted that because it was too many meals.
I've really started to realize how constricting the DDP was. Seriously this thread is giving me clarity that I didn't have.

MickeyLuv'r

I learned to live with the 180 days, and generally all the WDW procedures and rules, but collectively, WDW's myriad pre-pandemic rules had collectively become absurd. Please forgive me a tiny bit here, because - to me- the absurdity really only comes to light when I consider all of WDW policies in the collective sense.

IMO, going to a theme park should be relatively simple. The 180 day rule would be okay by itself, but collectively, visiting 2019 WDW was overly complicated.

i can mange the rules, but simpler would be better.

Skibum1970

I'll be that guy. Drop the ADR and the FP+ and the parks will be far better for it. It's nice to be in line for Pirates and other rides where you are constantly moving through the queue.

CynBeth

I like the 180 days. My other family members have food allergies and so we pretty much have to eat all meals at TS and I feel better having the ADRs locked in very far in advance. When it is time for FPs we just work around the meals although I would not mind if they were 6 months in advance as well.

Chi84

Premium Member
I'll be that guy. Drop the ADR and the FP+ and the parks will be far better for it. It's nice to be in line for Pirates and other rides where you are constantly moving through the queue.
That doesn’t work so well if you want a specific TS restaurant for a large party. And not having FP works better if everyone in your party is young enough (but not too young) to stand in long lines. Different systems work better for different people. It all depends on how you like to vacation. The system you describe would make the parks better for some, worse for others.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
That doesn’t work so well if you want a specific TS restaurant for a large party. And not having FP works better if everyone in your party is young enough (but not too young) to stand in long lines. Different systems work better for different people. It all depends on how you like to vacation. The system you describe would make the parks better for some, worse for others.

And I think the bigger problem is that people have come to expect complete customization as its available in most aspects of our lives now a days but there really is no one size fits all with Disney vacations and yes you can choose your own adventure to an extent but there are limitations.

mergatroid

How was your experience at Sci-Fi? It's been over ten years since we ate there. At that point the food was very underwhelming.

We stopped going about 3 years ago because we'd been quite a lot so the 'atmosphere' had worn off a bit. We're not really 'foodies' so usually would pick a burger or a sandwich which tasted nice, but was overpriced. Once the 'uniqueness' of the experience went, we thought $50+ was a bit much for just the food. We're coming to Orlando in October (pandemic permitting) with 3 friends who've never been. We've said we'll all go to the Sci-Fi as I think the novelty for them will make it worth it, also after our break I'm hoping it's a bit of fun for us too.

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
I like the 180 days. My other family members have food allergies and so we pretty much have to eat all meals at TS and I feel better having the ADRs locked in very far in advance. When it is time for FPs we just work around the meals although I would not mind if they were 6 months in advance as well.
Have you been since Disney introduced the allergy menus? What allergies if you don't mind me asking?

JusticeDisney

I've never liked this argument. No, I don't know what I'll be eating 60 days out, but if I have a rez for, say, Coral Reef, I have no trouble getting in the mood for seafood. Not once have I dined in an Italian place and thought "Crap - I'm really in the mood for steak".
Yeah, pretty safe to say that you totally missed my point. LOL!

Robbydj13

I have always enjoyed the 180 day reservations. It makes planning fun and enjoyable. You could make your WDW reservation whenever, then have the 180 day mark to look forward to, and then the 60 day FP mark. I am one of those people who likes to get reservations and then tweak and go from there. Its fun and keeps the mind on Disney. 60 days just isn't enough. Maybe 90 days wouldn't be a bad compromise, but I would prefer 180

CynBeth

Have you been since Disney introduced the allergy menus? What allergies if you don't mind me asking?

Yes but they don’t work for them. The few CS we have tried could not do much the TS have been fantastic for them. My DH can’t have dairy or any hot spices including black pepper and DM can’t have much salt only
600 mg a day. You would be surprised how much salt food can have including some you would not think of such as certain fruits and veggies. Even if they did not have allergies I am a planner and feel anxious when I can’t book something. I wish you could book dining and FP as soon as you book your room or package. Waiting for the 180 days was bad enough but it helped as I looked forward to each milestone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom