Disney donates $5 million to help fund housing for Orange County’s homeless - OCR/SCNG

Darkbeer1

Original Poster

>The announcement comes a year after the county’s homeless crisis came to a head, with cities and advocates squaring off in court over accusations of government inaction.

The trust has already committed to funding a four-story, 102-unit affordable housing development Jamboree Housing Corp. is planning at the corner of Manchester and Orangewood avenues, using money from Disney’s contribution.

Disney Resort President Josh D’Amaro hopes the company’s contribution will spur more companies to donate, saying when Disney acts, others take notice.

“I feel we do have a responsibility,” D’Amaro said. “I think about Anaheim not just as where we do business, but this is our home.”<<

Today is the State of the City speech by Anaheim's Mayor, Harry Sidhu, and tomorrow is the official opening of the Kraemer Emergency Shelter, bringing Anaheim's shelter bed total to 325 beds, reaching the number agreed to between the city and homeless advocates in a court settlement.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I probably dont have all the facts and am overly generalizing but if I understand, advocates for the homeless sued the city (which is the representative of its residents) for not providing for the homeless?

Darkbeer1

Original Poster

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
How much money has the hotel union donated? Just curious.

>At the same time, Local 11 doesn’t appear to be investing the same energy into helping its members climb the economic ladder, as it does into disruptive tactics and ideological crusades that ultimately undermine the ability of their members to advance. UNITE-HERE Local 11’s favorite political pinata, the Disneyland Resort, started the Aspire program to pay for cast members to obtain undergraduate and graduate degrees, professional and technical degrees, GEDs – in other words, paying for their employees to acquire the education, training and skills necessary to move up the economic ladder into the middle class and beyond. Disneyland Resort doesn’t even obligate cast members utilizing the Aspire program to remain with the company – they can leave as soon as they have their degree in hand if they want.

It’s reasonable to ask why Local 11 doesn’t offer similar support to its members so they can work toward a future beyond being a housekeeper or desk clerk. There is dignity in all honest labor. At the same time, perhaps one of Local 11’s ought to be helping its members grow out of being members.<<

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

It’s reasonable to ask why Local 11 doesn’t offer similar support to its members so they can work toward a future beyond being a housekeeper or desk clerk. There is dignity in all honest labor. At the same time, perhaps one of Local 11’s ought to be helping its members grow out of being members.<<
If the union only represents a certain level of employee then there is no incentive to help said employee excell to a level that would ultimately penalize the union.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
From Mayor Sidhu's State of the City Speech

>Addressing Homelessness

However, I am especially proud of this number: 325.

Here’s why.

People who know me best, know that I’m a man of action.

When our City Council took office, the most pressing crisis facing us was the large number of those living in homelessness on our streets. This was a neighborhood and a humanitarian crisis.

We took immediate action.

On Dec. 20, the city of Anaheim and a number of business partners opened an emergency shelter near Angel Stadium of Anaheim as our first step on the road to providing 325 beds to those who needed them most.

And we did that first shelter in an astonishing 14 days.

We are saving lives.

I want our city to be a model for working with homeless individuals.

We are well on our way. And because of this work, we are giving back our parks and libraries to our residents.

Thank you to partners such as The Salvation Army, Illumination Foundation and Chrysalis, along with the generous donations of Bill Taormina, Visit Anaheim Cares, Disney, the Anaheim Ducks and Angels Baseball and many others.

This is only one part of the solution.

Anaheim was recently highlighted by Gov. Gavin Newsom in his State of the State speech.

He recognized our city for its affordable housing efforts, saying that he wants “to support cities that do what’s right, like Anaheim.”

I commend our city staff and my council colleagues on this recognition. <<

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Well, the Anaheim Political cauldron is on full heat, and while it is my headache, not much to discuss how it is impacting the DLR.

But I wanted to discuss (vent, since tonight was a council meeting) a homeless item that was announced tonight.

District 2's (my district) Councilmember Jordan Brandman announced that he wants to build a 100 bed Homeless Shelter in our district specifically, though a private/public partnership. I have no knowledge of the partner, but a big guess would be Disney, at least in part.

I have decided that I will use my political chips to fully support this program. And my wonderful wife Lisa has decided to join me to fully support this goal.

We need to keep pushing for other cities and agencies to address the need for more shelters, and trying to get people into Mental Health programs and Drug/Alcohol rehab. Alas, we have seen that some of our large fires have been started by the homeless, and all the health and quality of life issues in LA, San Francisco and other locations. Glad to see at least San Diego has been taking positive steps to try and stop all the deaths happening on the streets. People need to understand that many on the streets don’t have the skills to take care of themselves, and that society needs to be able to step in to help those in need. (Giving Courts more power to require short term treatment after that person has a record of endangering themselves and/or others.)

Getting people off the streets, and into a shelter is something that is needed. It is a quality of life issue, and one that will save lives.

I truly hope that Disney will agree to help get this shelter off the ground. And my guess of the preferred location is within walking distance to my house. But better in a shelter that offers services than in our parks, alleys and storm drains.

And I hope that other cities/regions follow Anaheim's lead in building shelters NOW instead of the pipe dreams like permanent housing (LA units are costing $700,000 each, way too high). Yes, after we can get folks of the streets and into treatment, we should look at transitional housing. But we have to start with doing the most good for the most people as quickly as possible.

Well, since I had both the council meeting and Coyote Management Plan meeting (So did the senior city staff member on the Homeless), catching up on video on items we missed. While I knew going in, accepting the political hats I wear, that it wasn't going to be easy, and I would be in the line of fire. But the decisions I make, I don't take likely, but with thought, and the goal to make my community and city a better place to live, work, and to visit/play.

Thanks for letting me vent, the political divide right now in this city is getting worse, and I wish a lot of things that have happened lately, from all sides (yes, there are more than 2), didn't happen, and that things gotten calmer, not to the overflowing pot we have today.

But Happy Holidays to all, even if many of us are confused as to which holiday is next.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
San Diego uses large FEMA style tents along with restroom/shower trailers to create a shelter facility. But you need the large empty lot to erect it.

D.Silentu

Thanks for letting me vent, the political divide right now in this city is getting worse, and I wish a lot of things that have happened lately, from all sides (yes, there are more than 2), didn't happen, and that things gotten calmer, not to the overflowing pot we have today.
I appreciate the news and should mention that I have much respect for the role you are taking in this. I have two family members who at various points were working with this issue in Orange County and if nothing else their experiences illuminated the fact that there is no easy path to a solution here.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I appreciate the news and should mention that I have much respect for the role you are taking in this. I have two family members who at various points were working with this issue in Orange County and if nothing else their experiences illuminated the fact that there is no easy path to a solution here.

I had an interesting day, mainly due to trying to move this forward. I had a councilmember vent to me on the phone today, because they knew I would listen, understand, and keep it to myself. Good news, the Ad Hoc committee of the Mayor and 2 councilmember is scheduled for tomorrow. Doubt anything public will be made after the meeting.

And yes, there are no easy answers. Questions that came up today.. How much will be covered by private donations, and how much will the city have to pay for (or get grants)? If we build a 100 bed shelter, will people seeking shelter come from other cities? And many more.

I know my plate will be overflowing. I have public appearances at events Tomorrow and Friday Night, and Monday Morning. Then a West Anaheim meeting that I help run on Wednesday night the 13th, and I know I will be on the hot seat. And who knows how many private meetings, phone calls and e-mails.

But something needs to be done, and Disney will be asked to help out. One big question... How much are they willing to help? They already donated $5 Million to the OC Housing Trust, and Hundreds of Thousands to Chrysalis, a non=profit that helps people get jobs, including the Homeless and incarcerated folks. In the first year, 180 people have been placed in good long term jobs. Plus Disney helped out with Anaheim's Emergency Shelter last year.

But then, Disney understands that the need to not only look out for their Cast, Community is another important part of the DLR ideals.

TP2000

And yet, Disney is not the only employer in Anaheim. So why should they be expected to give 5 million here, a million there, another million there, etc. every year for eternity?

We know the radical unions like UNITE HERE Local 11 won't donate a dime to anyone except the Union Bosses Hawaii Vacation & Christmas Party fund, but there has to be other employers in Anaheim that could donate. Boeing? The Ducks and Angels? Amazon? UPS? Kaiser-Permanente? Wells Fargo? All of those big successful companies, and hundreds more, have business in Anaheim.

Where are they? It can't just be "Disneyland Resort donates another Million to FILL IN THE BLANK ANAHEIM NEED"

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
And yet, Disney is not the only employer in Anaheim. So why should they be expected to give 5 million here, a million there, another million there, etc. every year for eternity?

We know the radical unions like UNITE HERE Local 11 won't donate a dime to anyone except the Union Bosses Hawaii Vacation & Christmas Party fund, but there has to be other employers in Anaheim that could donate. Boeing? The Ducks and Angels? Amazon? UPS? Kaiser-Permanente? Wells Fargo? All of those big successful companies, and hundreds more, have business in Anaheim.

Where are they? It can't just be "Disneyland Resort donates another Million to FILL IN THE BLANK ANAHEIM NEED"

The Samueli Foundation (Ducks Owners) has done a lot.

The Angels want to make Anaheim happy (First meeting about the stadium is November 15th). So another potential source.

My educated guess, it will be from more than one source.

I was trying to keep my UNITE HERE folks out of the conversation.

But they got beat badly last night in the Rancho Palos Verdes election, basically 75% No votes to the Union's ballot measure.

But UNITE HERE has been busy here in Anaheim, setting up for Anaheim's election next November. And they play Chess, not checkers.

And by the way, while UNITE HERE is an Union who much prefers to use politics to get their way. Most Unions do not act like the way UNITE HERE does.

We expect to see the Building Trades offering their Members to provide free labor to help make the shelter happen, just like they did last year. Also, they have stepped up in other charity projects, such as helping homeowners who can't make repairs, or to make ADA modifications, etc. They volunteer and make it happen, and usually get someone they work with to donate the materials.

So we need to make it clear that as far as I know, I have not heard of any charity work from UNITE HERE except for things that help their own members.

EPCOTCenterLover

Hopefully, there's some mutual backscratching going on here too. Don't get me wrong- taking care of the homeless is a big deal. Something- I would say as a man of faith -that is close to God's heart.

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Long day, things went well. As always, it comes down to money, and whose....

Then tonight, it was looking at priorities to spend the expected $250 million in extra Resort/Platinum Triangle funds in the next ten years. And we had six department heads/chiefs of Police/Fire pitching ways to spend it.

In good news, Fullerton is progressing on a Shelter next to the airport (small private planes). The shelter in Placentia is expected to open in the spring, while one in Buena Park should open in June.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom