Disney dining plan help

wdwmom2+1

we are going to go ahed and add the dining to our trip. Here is my plan and my question

day1- disney springs- Not too many sitdown reservations open. could find one if we have to
day2- magic kingdom- liberty tavern
day 3- epcot- chinese resturant sit down
day 4- hollywood studios- italian sit down resturant
day 5- animal kingdom- no sitdown
day 6- leaving 5am- No resturants.

So my question is on the days we dont have a sit down can we use the sit down credit for a quick service? I don't know if its better to do just a quick service meal plan and pay out of pocket for the 3 sitdowns or do the othe rplan and lose the meals we don't have a sit down reservation for? we are going over thanksgiving so its a little hard to find resrvations.

DisAl

I think you can use a sit down for a counter service, but that is a huge waste. If you cannot fully utilize your sit down credits you will be loosing a lot of money on the dining plan.
If you have an extra sit down, consider doing a signature restaurant that takes two credits.
Also remember that if you have a leftover counter service credit you can convert that to three snacks (has to be at the same location at the same time). If we have any left we stock up on the cinnamon rolls at Gaston's Tavern or those big Mickey Mouse cookies and bring them home.

Upvote 0

krause

To make the dining plan worth it you really need to use all your table service credits at TS restaurants and order the most expensive thing on the menu (I believe the “value” of a TS credit is about $35 so drink + entree + dessert should at least add up to that). I would say you should either just get the QS dining plan (again, making sure you actually use all your credits) or find time to use all your TS credits. As pp suggested, you could book a signature restaurant to use 2 credits although typically people don’t think that you get your money’s worth there either for the cost of the dining plan (ie. you can get a $75 meal at a signature for 2 credits or get 2 one credit meals for $50 somewhere else).

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

OP, I'm afraid that the TS restaurants you've listed are among the absolute worst values for a TS credit on all of Disney property. If you purchase the DDP (that's the Disney Dining Plan) -- and especially if you're unable to schedule the full complement of TS restaurants -- you're going to lose a significant amount of money (I'm talking $200-$400 or more, depending on the composition of your party), versus paying out of pocket. Seriously, take a look at the tool at distripplanner.com to get a rough idea. The only way you should do the dining plan for the restaurants you've listed is if you're visiting during "free dining." If you really have a deep-seated desire to needlessly part with your hard-earned dollars, by all means toss them in my direction, or better yet, into the coffers of a favorite charity. ;)

On the bright side, the restaurants you listed are great choices for someone paying out of pocket, and you'll still be able to eat at whatever counter service locations you want, whenever you want, without worrying about counting credits, if you're paying out of pocket. Embrace the savings and flexibility of paying as you go -- and if you're so inclined, total up your receipts at the end, marvel at how much less you spent than if you'd gotten the DDP, and go buy yourself something nice with the surplus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pixieish

Since you're only doing 3 sit-down meals, it would definitely be better to get the quick-service plan and pay out of pocket for the table dining. The table-service restaurants you've chosen aren't bank-breakers, either, so that's enormously helpful. I'm a huge fan of the deluxe dining plan (3 table-service meals + snacks), but my feelings have changed since my 11 year old is now charged as an adult.

I really wish Disney would come up with a "build-your-own" dining plan or a plan that has 2 table-service meals per day...the deluxe is just SO much food, but we enjoy a big breakfast and dinner.

Upvote 0

DisAl

While our family usually does the dining plan and gets good value with extensive planning (and with lots of character meals :)) I am going to agree with MotherofaPrincess for your situation. You will probably come out better just paying as you go, especially if you are not big eaters who always get desert, etc.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom