Disney Cruise..so many questions..

maggiegrace1

So..:sohappy:..Father in-law told me tonight to start planning a Disney land-sea cruise for May 2011..I am :sohappy:

I already messaged Richard from KK but I want all to give me as much info as possible.

We want to do 3 day cruise to Bahamas and 4 day WDW.

So, do all 3 boats do that?

I know the newest boat will be the best but of the other 2 is there one that is better then the other or are they all basically the same.

It will be me, Drew, Maggie and my MIL and FIL

We will be flying...my first time..:eek:

So..tell..me anything and everything..pros and cons..

I know it is a year away but whatever..:lol:

We are going to try and book within a month or so..:D

Thanks!:sohappy:

Mikester71

My wife and I have talked about possibly booking a Disney Cruise some time next year or the year after for just the two of us. We were going to try and get away to WDW next March by ourselves to celebrate our 20 year wedding anniversary, but some genius (cough ME cough) :hammer: decided we should bring the kids and my brother and my mother-in-law with us again for one last big family trip. So we booked that trip and then saw something on a television show about the new Disney Cruise ship. Anyways, to make a long story short, I ended up going to a website and ordering the free Disney Cruise Line vacation DVD. Still have to sit down and watch it though, but you could maybe order yourself a copy and I am sure it will probably end up answering a bunch of the questions you have. :shrug:

Good luck planning! :wave:

Upvote 0

skenendy25

Disney doesn't do those land/sea packages any more. You basically have to book the sea and the land separately. As for the ships, you won't have much choice. The Wonder is going to be stationed on the West Coast in California, the Magic does 7 day cruises and usually heads to Europe in April. That will only leave you the new Disney Dream.

Upvote 0

toolsnspools

The Disney Web site has a lot of information, including videos, on their cruise ships - http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/?sourcecode=15364 You can search for cuises based on the ship, the date, the location you want to cruise, etc. You can always call (800) 951-3532 too. If you're anything like me, you should write down a list of all your questions before you call so you don't forget half of them while you're on the phone.

I'll have to let the other board members give you the inside scoop. We just booked our first cruise for next April so I don't have any personal experience... yet :). We'll be taking a four day trip on the Dream. Can't wait!

Upvote 0

maggiegrace1

Original Poster
Thanks guys...I see that they have pre and post cruise vacation packages where you can add DIsney tickets and hotel..so I guess tha is the same as land and sea almost?

Upvote 0

WDW_Emily

Im so Happy you asked these questions! we are also planning our first cruise for either March or May of Next year. These answers are helping us too

Upvote 0

redkoala245

I think the Wonder does the 3 days on DCL and 4 day WDW. I'm not sure about the Disney Magic. And the new ship (the Disney Dream) probably does it as well.
There will be a better ship coming in 2012 and that is the Disney Fantasy. I'm nt sure…
I reccomend before you go on your vacation to leave the day before. And also stay at the hotel in the Orlando Airport (the Hyatt) cuz there is a bus that takes you to Port Canaveral (where the ship is).
Other than that, everything is amazing on the Disney Cruise Line. :)

Upvote 0

Disneyfalcon

Richard will give you tons of help, but here's a few answers.

In May of 2011, Disney Dream will be doing the 3 night cruises. The other two, Magic and Wonder, are great and exactly the same, but Dream will be incredible, so - score!

You can book nights at WDW with your cruise, but it will probably be better to book them separately anyway.

You will want to be in Florida the day before your cruise, either at WDW or at a hotel in Port Canaveral. That way you can be among the first onboard the morning of boarding. You really want to maximize your time, especially on a 3 night cruise.

I just got back from an 11 night Disney cruise a few days ago, and I'm still not sure I got enough time onboard!:)

Upvote 0

Phonedave

There will be loads more questions I am sure, but as Tammy said, with a 3 day cruise you want to maximize your time on board (I did a 3, then a 4, and am now booked for a 5 in 2011 - sense a trend here ?)

You want to maximize your time on board on the day you depart. That means getting to the cruise port early, and being one of the first on board.

In order to do that, do NOT take a bus to the cruise port - either Disney's or another companies shuttle. If you do, you are at the mercy of their schedule. You will get there on time, but may get there well after boarding has started.

Either rent a car, or look into a black car service. If your group is 4 or more, chances are black car is going to be cheaper then paying for all those Disney transfers anyway. Black car is the best because you don't have to worry about dropping the car off at the rental place, and then getting a ride to the cruise port. But the rental places are all only about 5 miles away.

Get there early and have all your paperwork filled out ahead of time on line. You will be let on board when the public areas are ready. You will NOT have access to your stateroom or checked luggage, so bring a 'carry on' with whatever you may need for a few hours (bathing suits). The pools will be open, as will the buffet. The excursion desk will be open for last minute booking and the spa will be taking reservations - first come first served.

-dave

Upvote 0

val1756

Do NOT use Disney's Cruise transportation if you go to DW before your cruise. They are notorious for getting you there at 2:00 or 3:00 in the afternoon, way too late to enjoy what Disney counts as the first day of your trip. We paid $160 for resort to cruise line transportation for 2 people to get on a bus at 12:30 that didn't show up on time, that got us there at 2:15 only to get on the ship after 3:00 which upon boarding realized everything on our reservation had been altered (we even had our confirmation paperwork with the correct dining and state room) and it was too late to be changed.
Don't get me wrong, we had a wonderful time, well worth the money we spent, just don't waste your time or money on Disney's cruise transportation from the resorts, their transportation from the airport is better though.

Upvote 0

maggiegrace1

Original Poster
Thanks guys!..Planning a Disney cruise is so not as simple as planning a WDW resort vacation..:lol:

I am now thinking we may want to do a 4 night cruise and then stay at WDW for only 3..:shrug:

Hopefully I will get some info on everything soon from Richard and be able to figure it all out!:D

Upvote 0

tiaragirl

we just got back and had a great time! While it's true that we didn't get on the ship until about 2, we still had a good day.. minus the teeming rain (no big deal, there's so much to see inside!).

The shows are absolutely fantastic, so I would definitely rate that as a pro. The food is excellent (currently missing the breakfast buffet) and everyone is very friendly.

The downside was that we used the transportation back to the airport, and we got there at 10AM. Our flight wasn't until 6:30PM, and then it was delayed an hour.. so we were in the airport for a significant amount of time. Seeing as we were cranky and sunburnt, it wasnt the best.

Keep an eye out for my TR! There will be more details in that =)

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thanks guys!..Planning a Disney cruise is so not as simple as planning a WDW resort vacation..:lol:

I am now thinking we may want to do a 4 night cruise and then stay at WDW for only 3..:shrug:

Hopefully I will get some info on everything soon from Richard and be able to figure it all out!:D
It will be heading you way this evening. I rarely pull up facebook on the weekends so I just noticed your message this morning. As soon as I get home form the day job you will have prices and options flying your way!:wave:

Upvote 0

maggiegrace1

Original Poster
we just got back and had a great time! While it's true that we didn't get on the ship until about 2, we still had a good day.. minus the teeming rain (no big deal, there's so much to see inside!).

The shows are absolutely fantastic, so I would definitely rate that as a pro. The food is excellent (currently missing the breakfast buffet) and everyone is very friendly.

The downside was that we used the transportation back to the airport, and we got there at 10AM. Our flight wasn't until 6:30PM, and then it was delayed an hour.. so we were in the airport for a significant amount of time. Seeing as we were cranky and sunburnt, it wasnt the best.

Keep an eye out for my TR! There will be more details in that =)
Looking forward to it..:D
It will be heading you way this evening. I rarely pull up facebook on the weekends so I just noticed your message this morning. As soon as I get home form the day job you will have prices and options flying your way!:wave:
No problem..I realized I should have emailed you instead of fb...:D

Thanks!

Upvote 0
DANA!!! I'm so super excited for you :))) We went when I was 18 (wow, was that REALLY 9 years ago!!??) and it was amazing. Try and get a room with a balcony - and then actually sit outside and enjoy it! To this day my parents still say, "Wish we'd have sat outside a little while longer to enjoy the trip!"

The "free" food, the entertainment, the kid pool with the slide - I'm so jealous!!! :wave:

Upvote 0

happymom52003

This is why we are staying the night at a Disney resort on disembarkation day after our upcoming cruise (our first on DCL!). We will have a car, so we figure we can get to our resort by lunchtime, and enjoy one last afternoon/evening at the MK (we have 5 day tickets for WDW before our cruise, so adding one extra day to our tickets will not cost that much), or just relax and enjoy the resort (we got a good deal for one night at the WL). Then our flight home is around 3:00 the next day, so we can sleep in and take our time. It was worth the extra money for me because I HATE flying and travel days are soooo stressful for me...I feel sick all day. I did not like the idea of getting off the ship so early and being tired and cranky and depressed that the cruise was over and having to deal with a travel day on top of all that!

I can't wait to read your trip report!:wave:

Upvote 0

tracyandalex

we just got back from the 3 night bahamian cruise in april. we absolutely loved it and are planning a 7 night for next year. we were on the wonder and there are not words to describe the food and service. Palo is a must do for adults, we could eat that every night! book an excursion for nassau otherwise there isn't all that much to do. oh and book nursery time in advance if you have an under 3 yr old. we saw the golden mickey's show and it was fantastic. there is so much, if you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Upvote 0

maggiegrace1

Original Poster
Ok..so we booked a 3 night cruise on the dream..we will book airfare and Disney resorts seperately when the dates become available.

Some questions..

When flying in...should we fly in he night before or early the morning of?

If the night before..what hotels are nearby the port?

Renting a car for ride from airport to port..and then port to wdw after the cruise to keep with us for 4 days until we return to airport to fly home..is there a car rental place near the port?

Is there formal night on the 3 day cruise?..The Pirates party?

I have never flown before...so is there a time that there are better prices for flights or is it just hit or miss?

We have 5 people flying so do not want to pay an arm and a leg for the flights?

I may have more questions..as it is a year away..haha and the flights, and rooms prices have not been announced for our time yet..:D

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Disneyfalcon

Ok..so we booked a 3 night cruise on the dream..we will book airfare and Disney resorts seperately when the dates become available.

Some questions..

When flying in...should we fly in he night before or early the morning of?

If the night before..what hotels are nearby the port?

Renting a car for ride from airport to port..and then port to wdw after the cruise to keep with us for 4 days until we return to airport to fly home..is there a car rental place near the port?

Is there formal night on the 3 day cruise?..The Pirates party?

I have never flown before...so is there a time that there are better prices for flights or is it just hit or miss?

We have 5 people flying so do not want to pay an arm and a leg for the flights?

I may have more questions..as it is a year away..haha and the flights, and rooms prices have not been announced for our time yet..:D

Thanks!

The night before, absolutely. The Comfort Suites and Radisson are both excellent places to stay in Port Canaveral. I've stayed at both. The breakfast at Comfort Suites is great, but the shuttle isn't free. The Radisson has a better pool, a free shuttle, but no free breakfast.

There are several car rental companies in Port Canaveral. We've found great prices at Budget and Hertz. We rent at the airport, drive to the hotel and either return the car that night and take the hotel shuttle the next morning, or return the car in the morning and catch their free shuttle to the Port.

You can catch a shuttle after you get off the ship back to the car rental place. They run very frequently.

No to formal night, yes to the pirate party.

Flights are so unpredictable. Hit and miss really.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom