Disney could use UV Light to disinfect air

Marc Davis Fan

Original Poster
There is a low chance of virus transmission outdoors, provided that everyone is using a face-covering and keeping physically-distanced.

However, the indoors seems to present larger problems, especially in terms of potential aerosol-based (i.e., due to it hanging in the air, rather than falling on the ground) transmission. This is because aerosols don't disperse as much in enclosed spaces.

Hospitals and other places have long used UV light, e.g., inside air ducts, to disinfect recirculating indoor air. There has been a (small) resurgence of interest in the broader use of UV light for this purpose, which you can read about here.

There has been a little bit of discussion in parts of the theme park / museum industry about whether UV light inside air ducts would be feasible. Maybe a Disney insider can tell us whether there has been the case at Disney. The main downside is that installing/maintaining lights inside air ducts would be expensive - but not prohibitively so, especially compared with many other expensive projects of various types. I hope this gets discussed (further?) at Disney, since it seems to have real potential, but we shall see...

Marc Davis Fan

Original Poster
not a bad idea but I think UV works more for bacteria in closed environments. Also covid seems to be more virulent than our average flu virus.
Worth looking into.

Yeah, it's not a silver bullet, but it can significantly reduce the number of active viruses in the air.

Pepper's Ghost

Wow! Very interesting, and would be excellent if it could be utilized. It might be somewhat prohibitive though because of the sheer number of separate buildings in WDW resort compared to single hospital. Just a thought, but I hope you have something here!

Marc Davis Fan

Original Poster
We used UV-C light to disinfect our burn ICU rooms when we had patients with drug-resistant infections. The issue with them is that you can't use the type of germicidal UV light in the presence of people as it's very harmful. I did run across this article that sounded interesting...
https://bgr.com/2020/07/13/coronavirus-news-air-filter-kill-covid-19-instantly/

That's an interesting article, thanks!

Right, that's why I emphasized using them inside air ducts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom