News Disney considering a service like Uber at WDW - Confirmed as Minnie Van

ChrisM

Had generally great experiences using Minnie Vans on a couple of occasions this past week sending the grandparents and kids back to the hotel while my wife and I stayed in the parks. I use ride sharing all the time but it was really nice to be able to send that group off to get picked up by an actual Disney employee who knew where they were going (and not some random ride share driver).

The only issues right now are the pickup locations at the parks have no signage and park staff are clueless. The poor kid manning the Info Desk at HS had no idea this service even existed, and the pick up locations are not the same as the existing guest drop off or ride sharing pick up locations (at least at HS and AK).

halltd

I have a feeling that within 5-10 years DME will be non existent and the Minnie Van service will be EVERYWHERE. Agreed that it will be far more than $20 for a ride to or from MCO... my guess is $50-$100 depending on season? I would gladly pay $50 for a Minnie Van pickup from MCO that awaiting my arrival as soon as I have all my luggage. If I already pay $200+ for a weekly car rental and don't want to wait around for the DME to show up then I find that to be a great value. I noticed on our last trip there were dozens of brand new Chevy Equinox right outside the MK parking lot (by the old speedway) being delivered. My assumption is those are just new Minnie Vans in waiting to keep up with the demand after adding all Deluxe resorts.
I don't see how it's feasible for the Minnie Van service to pick up the sheer volume of guests and luggage that go back and forth daily via DME. Would it be an option for some guests like yourself? Sure. But, to replace DME as you indicate? I highly doubt.

TrojanUSC

I hope that they find a way to integrate the now-defunct Express Transportation option with Minnievan (i.e. want to go from Studios to DAK, just hail a Minnievan for the same type park to park service, thus bypassing the headaches of park-hopping). They already do this type of thing with VIP Tours, so it's not a stretch to offer sort of a cheaper alternative to that.

Maeryk

I don't see how it's feasible for the Minnie Van service to pick up the sheer volume of guests and luggage that go back and forth daily via DME. Would it be an option for some guests like yourself? Sure. But, to replace DME as you indicate? I highly doubt.

Yeah, I as well don't see that happening. you can put what, 50 people on a bus? And they already have a very efficient system worked out to feed to/from the various resorts and orlando. doing that with individual vans would be ridiculous, increase traffic a LOT (something disney is actively trying to reduce, not increase), and eliminate a perk that many guests not only rely on, but is one of the main reasons they stay on property.

SpoiledBlueMilk

Having just returned from WDW, we made great use of the MiniVan service. God it was great to just bypass the mass of people leaving the MVMCP at close and order a car with a 6 minute wait. The drivers were great, the app worked and the price was right.

The only stumbling block I see is attracting customers from areas that aren't saturated with rideshare services yet. There was one group that had no idea how thing worked or why they needed the Lyft app. It's an education barrier that can be overcome once the testing period is over.

Jeffxz

Has anyone used the Minnie vans to go to the bonnet creek resorts from the parks? I’m mainly concerned with getting dropped off at bonnet creek, not too worried about getting picked up from there.

I already have the mini van service activated on my Lyft account from a previous stay at the poly. The app seems to allow it, but it would be nice to have confirmation that someone else has done it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I’m not getting into a car with no driver as soon as 2019 no way

It would be unlikely that would be the case. State laws would probably require a 'standby driver' who can take over at a moment's notice for several years before allowing true autonomous driving on public roads. Indeed, even the best 'autonomous' vehicles still can't handle the full gamut of driving conditions that a human can handle (however clumsily humans 'handle' them considering the number of accidents, injuries, and deaths per year... a number which, if it were the result of a terrorist attack would put us on a full-on state of perpetual war).

True autonomous vehicles would at first only be allowed on closed courses or within specific zones that are equipped with helping the car navigate.

durangojim

Original Poster
It would be unlikely that would be the case. State laws would probably require a 'standby driver' who can take over at a moment's notice for several years before allowing true autonomous driving on public roads. Indeed, even the best 'autonomous' vehicles still can't handle the full gamut of driving conditions that a human can handle (however clumsily humans 'handle' them considering the number of accidents, injuries, and deaths per year... a number which, if it were the result of a terrorist attack would put us on a full-on state of perpetual war).

True autonomous vehicles would at first only be allowed on closed courses or within specific zones that are equipped with helping the car navigate.
Usually that’s true but these vehicles have “No steering wheels and no pedals” which offers you this chilling challenge: to find a way to drive!
I don’t think Disney would want to call these Doom buggies though.

Hey y'all! I saw that they just announced this expanding to the airport @ $150. I'm new to this, but am planning for our trip in June. :)
So far, it looks like: to go from a Resort to other places, is only offered at the Beach Club, but to go from park to park you can hail a Minnie?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom