News Disney considering a service like Uber at WDW - Confirmed as Minnie Van

CLEtoWDW

Used this last week at Beach Club! A wonderful service with an awesome driver ( former TomPetty Racing Experience employee)! Definitely worth it!!!

We used it at the Beach Club last week as well. Couldn't have had a better experience and it's fantastic how the vans come ready with child seats. We used the service twice and each time the "Minnie Van" arrived within 5 minutes of the request (they all depart from the Boardwalk lot) and we got to our destination a lot faster than using buses. Very pleased they expanded this service and will be excited to find out when they can expand to off property pickups at MCO.

Biff215

Used this last week at Beach Club! A wonderful service with an awesome driver ( former TomPetty Racing Experience employee)! Definitely worth it!!!
* Richard, although easy to mix up with the recent passing of Tom. Interesting to have a former Petty employee driving a van, hope you got to your destination extra fast! ;)
We used it at the Beach Club last week as well. Couldn't have had a better experience and it's fantastic how the vans come ready with child seats. We used the service twice and each time the "Minnie Van" arrived within 5 minutes of the request (they all depart from the Boardwalk lot) and we got to our destination a lot faster than using buses. Very pleased they expanded this service and will be excited to find out when they can expand to off property pickups at MCO.
I would be shocked if they expand it off property at all, even to MCO. First, you have DME already making the trip, but it would also limit the capacity on property when vans are making close to an hour round trip. I guess it depends on how many vans they put on the road, demand for the service, and the potential price (certainly not $20 to MCO).

I’m still surprised at how long this is taking to roll out resort wide. Are they still using Lyft for scheduling and payment?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
* Richard, although easy to mix up with the recent passing of Tom. Interesting to have a former Petty employee driving a van, hope you got to your destination extra fast! ;)

I would be shocked if they expand it off property at all, even to MCO. First, you have DME already making the trip, but it would also limit the capacity on property when vans are making close to an hour round trip. I guess it depends on how many vans they put on the road, demand for the service, and the potential price (certainly not $20 to MCO).

I’m still surprised at how long this is taking to roll out resort wide. Are they still using Lyft for scheduling and payment?

They're scaling it up slow and steady. Right now, all the deluxe resorts are covered. And people not in the deluxe resorts are reporting that if they ask their concierge, they get hooked up.

A slow ramp up is smart. It allows them to know what the market wants and will bear. Who knew that people would pay $20 without blinking (well, I knew considering the clientele of the deluxe resorts... we'll see if the value folks bite)? It would be crazy to buy thousands of Minnie Vans without knowing if people would make use of it. Now that they know, they have to buy more cars and skin them.

And yes, still using Lyft.

CLEtoWDW

I have a feeling that within 5-10 years DME will be non existent and the Minnie Van service will be EVERYWHERE. Agreed that it will be far more than $20 for a ride to or from MCO... my guess is $50-$100 depending on season? I would gladly pay $50 for a Minnie Van pickup from MCO that awaiting my arrival as soon as I have all my luggage. If I already pay $200+ for a weekly car rental and don't want to wait around for the DME to show up then I find that to be a great value. I noticed on our last trip there were dozens of brand new Chevy Equinox right outside the MK parking lot (by the old speedway) being delivered. My assumption is those are just new Minnie Vans in waiting to keep up with the demand after adding all Deluxe resorts.

Biff215

I noticed on our last trip there were dozens of brand new Chevy Equinox right outside the MK parking lot (by the old speedway) being delivered. My assumption is those are just new Minnie Vans in waiting to keep up with the demand after adding all Deluxe resorts.
Those have been mentioned here before and are thought to be for security. Minnie Vans are the Traverse. Regardless, you’d have to believe they’re bringing them in by the dozens as well while this rolls out.

TrojanUSC

Gotta comment on Minnie Vans, given our PERSONAL situation....

1) Party of 2 Retired People - big van with infant seats is not what we need :).
2) VERY good concept of standard Cab Costs at WDW (average $15 a leg, with 20% tip). Flat $20 per trip would only win on TWO Restaurant trips that we make, to the Swan/Dolphin. It would win by about $5.00.
3) ...and this is the killer: We are NOT storing a CC number at LYFT. The MV system is disconnected from Disney. We use CASH for rides of this ilk. If MB charging became available? We would reconsider. But we are NOT blindly giving a CC number to a third party storage system, and exposing ourselves to YAH ("yet another hack").
All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

First of all, you could use Uber and save $10 on your cab fare.

Secondly, in 2017, in the infinitesimal chance Uber of Lyft got hacked, you can have a new card sent to you in a day or two. There's also very comprehensive federal laws in place to ensure you are under no obligation to pay fraudulent charges. You're also far more likely to have your number skimmed at a gas pump or similar place.

Thirdly, it's 2017, millions upon millions upon millions of people are using these services without issue and they haven't experience "YAH."

Fourthly, Disney could just as easily experience "YAH" and the credit card number on your room folio could be hacked. Or, more likely, a cast member could steal the number.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I used one of these fromthe Boardwalk to another resort the other night. Once you get the code to make the service available within Lyft from the Bellhops you can then use it from anywhere. Our driver (who was great by the way) told us once it’s on your phone they will pick up and drop off anywhere on property through Lyft.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Im sure others have mentioned it, but I'll add that on my last few trips I used Uber and it was just as convenient as what people are describing with Minnie Van. Only difference is that Uber is 50-60% cheaper. I took an Uber from BLT over to AK and it was $9. I requested a ride on the app as I walked out of my room (at BLT) and he was waiting in front of lobby by the time I got downstairs. The car was a Toyota Sequoia (SUV) and was very nice. I also took Uber from BLT to Boardwalk and it was $8. Same experience. Driver was there within 2 minutes. It was mid size SUV (Chevy Equinox). Both drivers were very nice and had bottled water, candy, and hand sanitizer in the car.

I am not criticizing the Minnie Van service in any way. It seems that people enjoy it, but I am not sure why people would choose to spend double the cost aside from the fact that its a "Disney car".

CLEtoWDW

Yes the Minnie Van will absolutely run a higher fare than any other option. But when you think about it guests are already paying a premium to stay on property versus off site and Disney is simply trying to provide a service to those guests in need of unique or expedited transportation.

COProgressFan

I am not criticizing the Minnie Van service in any way. It seems that people enjoy it, but I am not sure why people would choose to spend double the cost aside from the fact that its a "Disney car".

There a few reasons:

1. Those with small children (about 6 or 7 and under) needing a car seat. Uber + carseat service can be more expensive, while the $20 for a Minnie van includes the car seats. Generally in these cases the Minnie van will actually be the less expensive option.

2. Easier access to MK. Minnie vans will take guests directly to the bus station at the MK, while regular Uber or Lyft will require a dropoff at the TTC. Of course, seasoned travelers know to just request dropoff at the Contemporary and walk over, but not everyone is aware of that option.

3. The "Disney bubble". Right or wrong, many people feel safer or more comfortable with a Disney employee rather than an Uber driver. This is a personal choice, and frankly, I can see both sides of it. If a few bucks more gives you peace of mind, and you or your kids get a kick out of riding a red polka-dotted SUV, then go for it.

CLEtoWDW

There a few reasons:

1. Those with small children (about 6 or 7 and under) needing a car seat. Uber + carseat service can be more expensive, while the $20 for a Minnie van includes the car seats. Generally in these cases the Minnie van will actually be the less expensive option.

2. Easier access to MK. Minnie vans will take guests directly to the bus station at the MK, while regular Uber or Lyft will require a dropoff at the TTC. Of course, seasoned travelers know to just request dropoff at the Contemporary and walk over, but not everyone is aware of that option.
it.

That's a great point on the MK dropoff. That's part of the reason we used to service for our trip to MK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom