Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

dreamscometrue

There is a really precarious balance between keeping those that are classic, and keeping the parks fresh with new offerings. I'm sure most would agree that the Haunted Mansion should never be replaced, but where on the continuum from HM to say, American Idol Experience (about as throw away as it gets), do you place attractions such as The Great Movie Ride, Festival of the Lion King, Aerosmith in R'nRC, Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, Beauty and the Beast, etc? There is no right or wrong, but we all have our untouchables and throw aways. I've always loved Maelstrom, but I have no problem with it going away now. The parks should be 'living' entities and I want to see many attractions and shows replaced over time.

jamesgf

Don't know if this has already been noticed (I've never seen a thread explode quite like this!), but the Maelstrom news has made the 'latest news' at CNN.com. The article comes complete with a picture of the Disneyland monorail, but the really interesting part is the comments section. Very different from the Disney Parks blog.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/09/12/media/disney-frozen-ride/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

In May, Disney CEO Bob Iger said "Frozen" was one of Disney's top five franchises ever. "So you can expect us to take full advantage of that over the next at least five years," he said.

Uhhhggg...5+ years of milking this mediocre movie.

minsmk

I adore Frozen, but this announcement is disappointing, to say the least. If the Anna/Elsa M&G wait times and merchandise sales are any indication, a fully realized Arendelle mini-land with a big-ticket dark ride in a thematically appropriate location (e.g. New Fantasyland) would be popular. Instead, they're giving up on the Epcot theme and using the most quick and dirty way to get Frozen into the parks. That solution strikes me as less than satisfying for both Epcot fans and Frozen fans.

The Three Caballeros is a little bit of a thematic stretch for World Showcase, but since the film itself is basically a Latin America travelogue I've grown to accept its placement, though the execution leaves something to be desired. However, Frozen is so far removed from the original Snow Queen story that it really doesn't belong in World Showcase. And, seeing as how Gran Fiesta Tour is basically "hide-and-seek in Mexico with Donald", I doubt riders will get a Norwegian cultural experience on the new Frozen ride. In fact, I would wager that this ride will be less relevant to the host country than Gran Fiesta was.

I agree with @RSoxNo1 about the placement of Frozen. DHS really needs family attractions, but there is just something off-putting about placing a fairy tale kingdom there, even if they are trying to get away from the working studio aspect. In my opinion, they should expand Pixar's presence in the back of DHS. I don't think they should group these properties together simply because they were made by the same studio, but most Pixar movies have more contemporary settings that don't really fit in MK.

This is another reason why I don't like putting Frozen in Epcot. It doesn't really solve any issues that WDW has. DHS needs more to do for families, and MK is still stuffed to the gills even after New Fantasyland. Meanwhile, Maelstrom and Norway are really the least of Disney's problems in World Showcase; yet that is where they are focusing their attention - in a way, I reiterate, that is underwhelming for both Epcot fans and Frozen fans.

*Clap clap clap*

This is the best way to put it! A little bird told me that DHS's "Working studios" theme was going to go away. Yeah, I like Backlot tour. But if that means that my classic Epcot isn't going to be touched? That's fine by me :3

I think that it would work pretty darn good in near the Pixar area. Make a huge ice castle and have a E ticket trackless with an amazing queue through Elsa's ice palace.

Then have a few smaller rides (Maybe something more thrilling for the older set and a cute boat ride or something.) and the Arendelle castle and we are set! They could use the streets of america area for a boat ride (high capacity boat..) to the Arendelle castle. Keep Oaken's perm and there you go! I did some editing to explain what I mean.

ezimba18540614703500.png

There would still be some spacing when it comes to Elsa's ice castle and the Arendelle palace but still!

Mike S

Disney does it too, but they are criticized for it. Disney is criticized for every thematic break they make. You don't see the same vitriol when Universal does it.
Yeah. King Kong in IoA is actually a pretty big thematic break. The park is supposed to be based on literature but absolutely NO ONE is complaining, me included.

Bocabear

I find it sad that on disneyparksblog that all the comments are positive ones for Frozen.
Obviously disney has been sifting through them. There wasn't one negative comment about the replacement.
The Disneyparksblog is completely edited to only be positive about everything the Disney company does.,...there are never any negative comments...it is a publicity machine only...not an honest blog.

Mr. Peabody

There is a really precarious balance between keeping those that are classic, and keeping the parks fresh with new offerings. I'm sure most would agree that the Haunted Mansion should never be replaced, but where on the continuum from HM to say, American Idol Experience (about as throw away as it gets), do you place attractions such as The Great Movie Ride, Festival of the Lion King, Aerosmith in R'nRC, Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, Beauty and the Beast, etc? There is no right or wrong, but we all have our untouchables and throw aways. I've always loved Maelstrom, but I have no problem with it going away now. The parks should be 'living' entities and I want to see many attractions and shows replaced over time.
Most people agree that Maelstrom and its post-show would benefit from some plussing. The real question is whether or not replacing a Norwegian folklore theme with a Frozen theme actually constitutes an improvement. Many of us don't think that is the case because World Showcase is supposed to be, well, a showcase of the host countries.

lazyboy97o

Disney does it too, but they are criticized for it. Disney is criticized for every thematic break they make. You don't see the same vitriol when Universal does it.
This is also the nature of a studio park, which makes up all but one of Universal's theme parks. They have become less chaotic as actual production has been dropped from the programmatic requirements of the parks.

JoshG73103

Pardon if it's already been discussed (I wish I had time to read through 57 pages of Maelstrom Mourning), but the ride will be shut down for at least 15 months before the new one opens. Are we sure it's just an overlay? I'd be shocked if they tore down the show building, but they might at least gut it and give us something "mostly" new, ja?

Mike S

I think that is because the literature angle has always come across as something cooke dup after the fact, not as a guiding principle.
If it wasn't a guiding principle then what lead them to use the properties they did? Dr. Seuss, Marvel and comic strips don't exactly seem like random choices when put together. Even Jurassic Park and Harry Potter still fit the theme as well as Lost Continent.

Lucky

Pardon if it's already been discussed (I wish I had time to read through 57 pages of Maelstrom Mourning), but the ride will be shut down for at least 15 months before the new one opens. Are we sure it's just an overlay? I'd be shocked if they tore down the show building, but they might at least gut it and give us something "mostly" new, ja?
The announcement implied it will be mostly new, at a minimum.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I emailed Crofton, Staggs, and Holmes yesterday. I got a response email today from Lauren Murphy from Guest Experiences on behalf of Staggs and Crofton. Pretty standard crap. My email said I was against the decision to put Frozen in Norway and asked why should I continue to give money to a company that spends the least amount of money possible on an attraction for the highest grossing animated film and all while having record profits. I also asked why they feel Frozen is in any way related Norway and why would they put it in WS? Heres the response. Its pretty lame. And FYI, I am sending another email today.

Thank you for your email to Meg Crofton and Thomas O. Staggs.

We understand your disappointment with the closure of the Maelstrom attraction in the Norway Pavilion at Epcot. Please know that we are continually focused on providing our Guests with the best possible experiences. We regularly evaluate our offerings and make adjustments based on a variety of factors.

We are starting construction on a brand new Frozen attraction at the Norway Pavilion in Epcot where Guests will be able to immerse themselves in many of their favorite moments and music from the film. Please be assured that during the area’s transformation the Norway Pavilion will remain open. Guests will still be able to enjoy the authentic Norwegian food, architecture, and exhibits.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause but please know our Guests' feedback, as well as their continued enthusiasm for our products, is very important to us.

We genuinely appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts with us.

Sincerely,

Lauren Murphy

Guest Experience Services

Walt Disney World Resort

Last edited:

misterID

The Disneyparksblog is completely edited to only be positive about everything the Disney company does.,...there are never any negative comments...it is a publicity machine only...not an honest blog.
Some people don't remember, but there were actually negative comments on DPB once. It was after D23 and there were absolutely no mentions of WDW's future. No attractions. Nothing. There were so many negative comments that they literally couldn't keep up with it. Very soon after the floodgates opened, and it was clear Disney couldn't handle it (they were so used to taking WDW fans for granted and treated like we were an invisible ATM machine, without any repercussions, they weren't prepared for any blow back and were totally taken off guard by it) that Tom Staggs made a personal statement to the WDW community basically apologizing and promising future projects. I think Avatar was announced soon afterwards.

And again, World Showcase is an outdoor mall now. That's not a dig, it's the truth. That's how TDO views it. I think too many people view it through their own perspective of how it should be... but isn't. It's not been given the proper respect it should have gotten in over two decades. I guess I'm kind of shocked by all the outrage. This shocks you? Not the twenty plus years of stagnation? There were plenty of great projects planned for WS that were axed, wonderful projects that captured the spirit of EPCOT and WS that were axed in favor for what's there now. Whatever that spirit once was (which was really only promise and potential, anyway, never realized potential) TDO exorcised it long ago. If anything, Frozen matches what WS is now. Shopping. Food and Booze. Character m&g. Outdated films. Forced IP projects from Kim Possible to Donald. And no investment in real attractions.

This is the future of WS. It's been heading to this moment for years. I'm not surprised it took so long considering the apathetic attitude they have towards WS... and EPCOT...And the parks in general.

DisUniversal

In May, Disney CEO Bob Iger said "Frozen" was one of Disney's top five franchises ever. "So you can expect us to take full advantage of that over the next at least five years," he said.

Uhhhggg...5+ years of milking this mediocre movie.
Iger is a short sighted idiot with no vision for the future. You can't label something as one of the "top five franchises ever" after it's been out less than 6 months. That would be like someone labeling Psy as one of the "top five artists ever" based on Gangam Style. Or perhaps he's following the thinking when Who Want's to Be A Millionaire because a huge hit...put in on every day of the week until people can't stand it anymore, just about killing it in the process.

TDF

So in other words, if this is true, doubt it knowing Disney, my prediction of the time ling\e wasn’t that far off… opening Early 2017? LOL.

In all seriousness… do we have a time line. Ain’t nobody got time to read through 5000 pages.

lazyboy97o

If it wasn't a guiding principle then what lead them to use the properties they did? Dr. Seuss, Marvel and comic strips don't exactly seem like random choices when put together. Even Jurassic Park and Harry Potter still fit the theme as well as Lost Continent.
Toon-iversal Studios.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom