Disney CMs calling guests " Friends"?

The Empress Lilly

Have you never eaten at a Mexican restaurant where the server called you Amigos? Calling people Friends sounds fine to me, and actually very friendly.
That happened to me too, my friend! Everywhere I went in Mexico the waiters neatly called me their 'gringo loco', even though I don't even speak a word of Latin so just had to point wildly at the menu! It was heartwarming. ^_^

The Empress Lilly

Sounds creepy to me to be honest if a stranger that I never had interaction with called me a friend. Like a mass murderer was trying to lure you away into a dark park.
Yes, my friend, I'm not a fan either. I don't want to be critical of CMs simply trying to find a means of adress that is both informal and inviting while being non-offensive (not easy nowadays!)

But everywhere else when strangers call me 'my friend' usually nothing friendly follows. So it doesn't really work for me.

Also I think 'friend' a bit jovial. Personally I think it pleasant, the social distance that more formal interaction between strangers brings about.

John park hopper

With so many animatronics at WDW and fake outrage by many guests maybe the CM's should say welcome humans if you are offended at that you have a real problem ---(sarcasm)

DCLcruiser

Never but not the same. I don't work with the general public.
One big reason is stupid sensibilities. I'm a dvc'er they say "welcome home" all the time, some one complained that was "creepy". The point is, why can't a person figure out the intent behind the greeting.
I don't use "guys" in a greeting either but I certainly would not assume anything behind it if a cm said hello guys.

Lol of course here someone would, welcome to the age of "faux outrage"

I like "welcome home" for DVC. Although I guess if you hear it every day of a trip it might get annoying.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If everyone is your friend than no one is your friend. Yeah, it’s lame but it’s Disney. Folks is too edgy nowadays.
"Folks" harkens back to our Germanic roots and literally means "people" in German.

And as we all know, (sarc) anything German can be triggering on so many levels... (/sarc)

Besides, "people" is so generic and impersonal. "Friends" is warm, welcoming and... well... friendly.

nickys

Premium Member
When was the last time you referred to someone as "Friend" in a sentence? I don't mean, he/she "is my friend." Actually used Friend in a greeting?
That would be when I’m singing Simon & Garfunkel’s greatest hits. 😉

But joking aside it‘s a common greeting in many cultures. I can think of a couple of people who greet me as “my friend”, one being an Italian restauranteur who has become very much a friend of my family and another being my wine dealer who’s from Germany originally. Both have lived here (Scotland) for 40 years or more and had their own family here but still use that form of greeting. It’s feels quite comfortable to me but perhaps that’s because of their “heritage”, for want of a better word.

Goofyernmost

"Folks" harkens back to our Germanic roots and literally means "people" in German.

And as we all know, (sarc) anything German can be triggering on so many levels... (/sarc)

Besides, "people" is so generic and impersonal. "Friends" is warm, welcoming and... well... friendly.
It is far more personal then being referred to as "Guest". That has no personal connection. That is the herd mentality. The only direct connection that would go with that would be "Hey you!?!?" while pointing a (oops) two fingers at them. Friend is the only logical way to personalize when you don't know their actual names. It is much more friendly.🤗

_caleb

Friend is the only logical way to personalize when you don't know their actual names.
Or gender. Disney’s efforts to “Inclusion” is moving CM’s away from referring to guests as “sir/ma’am” or “ladies/gentlemen,” as that can be offensive or exclusionary. A lot of work has been into developing guidance for customer service protocols about referring to guests/customers.

If you think about it, an inclusive approach leaves very few options in the English language:
  • Regionalisms like “you guys” or “y’all” may not be understood by all. (”guys” may be taken as assuming/implying gender).
  • The solution should work for both individuals and groups (y’all would be just “you?” not sure what the singular version of “folks” might be).
  • Must work as a greeting, and interruption (“Excuse me, _________, please stand to the side!”)
  • Should be warm and friendly (“Hello, fellow human(s)” isn’t it)
”Friends” is currently one of the best (and most Disney) ways to address people. I expect them to push very hard to make the use of “friends” a central part of parks culture.

The only downside is that it carries an air of informality that some people don’t appreciate from service providers. The upside is that “friends” implies a peer relationship, which may actually remind guests to treat CMs with dignity and respect.

Just a Spark!

Has anyone else that has visited the parks recently noticed CMs referring to you/your party as "friends"? This has happened the last 2 days at Animal Kingdom numerous times from interactions from entrance to exit. For example buying food, exiting rides, visiting gift shops, and just strolling down the walkways. Wondering if this is a new protocol or if it was a happy coincidence, either way I liked it. In my opinion it good without being overly sweet.
‘Friends’ is endearing, but like many others, I use that when speaking to a classroom of little ones. ‘Folks’ reminds me of Clark Griswold punching Marty Moose. ‘Guys’ (or ‘gals’) is not gender inclusive. Everyone, everybody, people, buddies, pals, guests...so many ways to say it. Maybe a simple (and corny 🥰) choice would be to address guests according to the CM location. Hello, Explorers! Howdy, folks! Greetings, Loyal Subjects of Fantasyland! Argh, Mateys! I’m sure this clever group could have an extensive list of suggestions ready for Disney in no time!

Goofyernmost

Or gender. Disney’s efforts to “Inclusion” is moving CM’s away from referring to guests as “sir/ma’am” or “ladies/gentlemen,” as that can be offensive or exclusionary. A lot of work has been into developing guidance for customer service protocols about referring to guests/customers.

If you think about it, an inclusive approach leaves very few options in the English language:
  • Regionalisms like “you guys” or “y’all” may not be understood by all. (”guys” may be taken as assuming/implying gender).
  • The solution should work for both individuals and groups (y’all would be just “you?” not sure what the singular version of “folks” might be).
  • Must work as a greeting, and interruption (“Excuse me, _________, please stand to the side!”)
  • Should be warm and friendly (“Hello, fellow human(s)” isn’t it)
”Friends” is currently one of the best (and most Disney) ways to address people. I expect them to push very hard to make the use of “friends” a central part of parks culture.

The only downside is that it carries an air of informality that some people don’t appreciate from service providers. The upside is that “friends” implies a peer relationship, which may actually remind guests to treat CMs with dignity and respect.
"Excuse me, carbon based life form, please stand to the side!"

bjlc57

i did however have an ATT SALES MAN call me DUDE. .once.. to my face. consequently I did not buy the att service nor do i suggest that any one should as well..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom